Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cord getting scratched up

squeak16

The coil cord is getting scratched up , by the bottom shaft, anyone have a better fix, besides electrical tape?

I put on three layers of black gaffers tape over that sharp edge on the shaft where the coil cable enters the shaft.-----That edge is really sharp, seems like they could have rounded it off.---What with the pivoting of the coil--I surely don't want it wearing/cutting in on the coil cable at that point.-----The Gaffers tape stays on great & if you ever want to take it off, there is no residue left on the shaft.----I thought about using this tape on the coil cable also at this area but decided just to have it on the shaft--this is sufficient.----------------Del

I said something about this when ..I first got the 3030.....I put...a piece of wire wrap....plastic.....has a slit in it...you just cut a piece as long as from coil to where wire coils up....about a foot and half.........when you buy it you get a lot...got some around here some where.......it works great and super easy to take off!!!!

Re: Coil Cable Abrasion--What are you doing about it?
Posted by: mascard1 [ Send a Message ]
Date: July 11, 2012 03:07PM
I went to Harbor fr...ei..gt....got some1/4 plastic cord wrap(1.99)...wrapped all the way up..has a slit in it...just put cord in.

Round al the sharp edges with some 400 grit sandpaper..Then tightly wrap a wad of rubber tape around the cable so it wedges snuggly in the lower shaft keeping the cable centered .. Leave enough slack in the cable so you have no stress on the cable at the coil.. wildherre

7551566190_7a8f804e11_b.jpg

I've added spiral wrap on my coil cords.

I use vet tape .. works good and no residue... Ken, the next time your out this way let me know so you can show me a thing or two on this machine....

Thanks everyone, lots of good ideas, you think Minelab knows about this? I just got my machine about5 weeks ago, nobody gave me a headsup
I'll get this taken care of

regards
Philip

Ray, will probably be over that way tomorrow.... Met a guy to deliver a detector a couple weeks ago where you found the 77 injun. Going to L'Erable for sup & a nip tonight ...

cosmic said:
I use vet tape .. works good and no residue... Ken, the next time your out this way let me know so you can show me a thing or two on this machine....

14168174793_db1b26678e_b.jpg

I am extremely OCD when it comes to keeping my machines clean. While cleaning, I noticed where the coil cable enters the coil keeper on the lower shaft is getting some wear on it. I happen to have some extra cable wraps that I used on my boat and put one over the cable. The wrap is approximately 8" and should protect the cable for some time. I did this on all my coils fot the CTX.

I also use 1/2 in. wire loom. I cut about a 7 in. piece and I didn't even cable tie it down. It seems to hang on fine , and without the cable tie it gives it some flexibility.