Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cover or ? for water hunting?

Greg (E.Tn)

I water hunt in a riverine environment where the bottom is rocky/gravelly, and seem to remember where someone suggested using some sort of protectant on the bottom of the search coil in lieu of an actual coil cover.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Thanks

For a while some of the guys were spraying the bottom of the coil with truck bed spray liner. One would have to make absolutely certain that there is nothing metallic in the stuff.

Ive tried the bed liner spray once but didnt care for the result.. the texture was like sandpaper which made it harder to swing as im kind of a scuffer when i swing like to maintain light contact with the ground... i also had a coil i would coat with pvc cement once a year..that sorta worked a little better but when it comes right down to it nothing beats the manufacturers coil cover, just certain manufacturers charge too much for them but still alot cheaper than buying a new coil.. if you use a coil cover i would recommend using a few plastic zip ties so the coil cover doesn't float down the river lol..

I use Loctite Epoxy on the coil bottom instead of a coil cover, using tape around the coil edges to make a mold, then pouring a thin coat on the bottom of the coil.

It works fine for me.

Charles

Best I think you can do is get some two part 24 hour epoxy, mix enough extra. Clean the coil cover out, scratch the coil cover insides up with some sand paper. With all clean and dry, find a good spot for making a mess. I've saved a few coils like this that were cracking and splinting. These will never come apart and no sand will every get into the coil cover for it is fully sealed and can take some hard knocks in the rocks.

pour the epoxy mix into the coil cover, let it set for about a hour then slip in the coil. With waiting an hour it gets a chance to get a little firmer. If you don't feel comfortable with that just do it right away..It will come shooting out of every opening, I'll let that dry 24 hours. then come back and mix up a little to fill in the spots that require more, which is rare but does add to the sealing. So now you have a coil that is indestructible. But take care of that coil cable also by keeping it siliconed a least once a month and before storing away load it up...

I prefer Sonnars method with the loctite.......spreads like peanut butter and its white so you can tell when you need to do more. I really rub a coil so i was going thru several a year before i started using loctite. I prefer the ability to .... replace the cover should it get cracked or worn thru on the side. I dont recommend bed liner...... ML told me they didnt have a warranty problem with epoxy........ but if they found they couldnt tune the coil because you used the wrong bedliner they wouldnt honor the warranty. I hate coil covers...... especially on the Nox because they didnt fill the coils properly and the cover retains a lot of sand........ but coils arent cheap and covers and epoxy are.