Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cover or no coil cover?

BigTony

I find that I have to clean the coil and cover almost after every dirt hunt and after each beach hunt.

During some beach hunts I start getting false signals and wonder why until I take off the cover and see the sand and stuff.

What do folks do?

Leave it off?

Fill the coil bottom with resin?

I am leaning towards just leaving it off.

Tony

I'll leave mine on. No big deal, at least for me, taking it off for cleaning.

Ill tell you what ML told me when they finally sent me a coil cover on an xcal ll. If I didnt use the cover it could void my warranty. Also.... if u use marine epoxy that was acceptable. .. but not bedliner spray because some made it impossible to tune the coil. Like the xcal ll they have underfilled the coils. Thus allows space for sand.... they fixed it on the xcal becayse it was also causing coil separation. I use a coil cover with epoxy on it. That shows me wear. I used to go thru one about every 6 months. If I didnt have a cover what would the cost of coils cost me.... especially on the Nox. By the way....can we even get coils? We cant get skid plates.... ive tried.

Tony....... i have noticed it when there is sand in there...... but honestly not nearly as much as say on an explorer. Some of that noise also is going from softer sand to hard pan with a GB of 0 too. I do notice i can lift my coil in and out of the water about shoulder height and some of that sand will be rinsed out. At least this coil cover attaches to everything. The one on the CTX only attaches to the send and receive portion....... not those supports...... which cause them to separate from the supports when moving in the water much like a Rutter causing drag. We dont get that with the coil.

Dewcon, I have lifted the coil and did see some sand run out. I also noticed one time that the cover was coming off after being in the waves for a few minutes.

I agree the cover does attach to many places on the coil which is why some folks have a hard time getting it off.

My Exp II did get dirt inside the cover and I did clean it often.

mine fits loose, stays on but looser then any coil I've had.

Nagant, it should be a tight fit. Mine is tight and I have the 800.

Do you have the 600 or 800?

There should be lips that really hold that sucker on tight. I use a beer opener to remove mine without breaking it...... it shouldnt be loose....... its a bear to get off in the water.

AS for me and just my opinion, there is no question...Coil Cover on...just clean it out before every hunt.

I peel mine off almost after every hunt put it in the slop sink and rinse it off at work..But I always hunt with one on..

Sand or dirt in your coil cover is NOT causing your detector to false. Stop and think it for a second. You are detecting along quietly with ALL the sand/dirt in the world below your coil, but now suddenly because 1 gram of that same material is inside the cover it makes it go crazy? Please explain how that could even remotely be possible.

If someone poured pure magnetite in there, I can see it having an affect but not the same matrix your are already detecting through

Jason, not crazy at all. If that happened I would try different things no matter what detector I was using.

Mostly it gives off a signal then after pin pointing that target signal seems to diminish or fade, so a false signal.

At the beach there are bits of rust mixed into the sand. If that gets under the coil it causes some chatter.

Another occasion I went dirt fishing with an EXP 2. I only got erratic signals for several minutes. I decided to remover the cover. Inside was a red clay crust. I washed it out and the machine was good to go.

Hes 100% right about those explores and dirt under the cover... they hate it. The Nox isnt quit as bad... but most sensitive machines dont like moving dirt.

I have had falsing from black sand in coil covers. I don't use them on a beach. My Cors coil came with a paper saying that cover use was optional. I do not put close to the amount of hours into hunting as some others.

I did two rounds of shoo goo a day apart. For the marine epoxy, Minelab did a terrible job of a factory fill on the coil. So I did a build up on the one side then a full epoxy around. If your coil is not low one coat of epoxy is enough. Just make sure none of the plastic around your coil is lower than the center where the coil wires run. Dave