Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil ears

dewcon4414

Well someone had to be the first lol. My coil ears broke. Still...... over 9 mos of hard use in the water... 1000 hours or so.

Good...thought the same about the CTX. Fist time I’ve ever had that happen. Oh well got my RMA no. In the mail tomorrow to ML. Looks like I’ll have to put off some testing between it and the CTX scheduled for next week with a buddy in Clearwater.

I repaired one on an ATPro coil. Used 4 plastic washers, and 8 small plastic screws and a lot of some bonding agent, cannot recall the brand, had to get a longer plastic bolt but it worked great. It looked like a one eyed bandit had done it but it worked. Funny, I have detected for over 25 years and never broke a coil ear, a shaft or mounting bracket but did do a tad too much leaning on the CTX shaft and it got wobbly at the handle connection, and they sent me some rubber bushings for it.

I have broken ears on two different coils. I would think that someone would create and universal aftermarket bracket that could be bolted on and or glued.
Jess

Some one did....... i just cant remember where i saw it, but they did it with a 3 d printer.

to fix you can use suitably thick pliable plastic from ordinary items found in the home, and cut ear-shaped pieces with a dremel.you can even use layers of plastic cut with a razor.If you need thge whole corner,
cut a corner piece from a plastic box. Bond thickly and in layers using JB weld. Shape with the dremel grinding tip. With care you can make a repair as strong as the original.

dewcon4414 said:
Well someone had to be the first lol. My coil ears broke. Still...... over 9 mos of hard use in the water... 1000 hours or so.

UGH.....I have not liked those ears from the day I saw them...........CHEAP. Won't be long till the pacific smashes mine.

Dave

Hey Dew... We spoke on the beach and you mentioned the broken ears. I took your advice and did this. I can certainly feel a more sturdy coil. The nylon washers are 1 1/4" and sanded down a little so the sanded part goes against the coil. And as a bonus the hole in the washer was the perfect size and the bolt still long enough to do its job. Hopefully a cheap fix for some tougher ears!

It is a small percentage of some lugs breaking on the coils of the Minelab Equinox 800 -- 600 and Minelab have released a statement for customers to assure they are aware and will rectify the problem.

It has come to our attention in some particular cases, the EQUINOX coil lugs have been breaking while in use. The coils affected are extremely minimal, with less than 0.50% of products sold in any region globally reporting a genuine claim.

For a complete assessment of any damaged coils, please send the coil and lower shaft stem to an authorized Minelab ASC.