Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Ears

Donut

If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some lubricant on the shaft to get it back in between then ears. Vaseline, dialectic grease, Plummer’s grease all work.
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
Doug
3DC5D24E-B4F0-4ED3-BF35-A9F6D49946D6.jpeg

That looks like a good idea you have.
They sell coil ear stiffeners on eBay also for $11.
I put one on each of my coils and they work really well.
Dave

If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some lubricant on the shaft to get it back in between then ears. Vaseline, dialectic grease, Plummer’s grease all work.
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
Doug
View attachment 2341

Dave I also have the ear stiffeners and they are great but they don‘t solve the looseness of the shaft between the coil ears but adding the spacers behind the washers snugged them up and like I said the bolt doesn’t have to be so tight. Their just an added bonus.
Doug

The first time I took my Equinox out, it impressed the heck out of me, but I noticed everytime I set the detector down to dig, the coil would flop flat to the ground and I would have to readjust it before starting out again.
I went out one other time, and said this is it... next time I get out, it will not be doing this.
I knew there was an issue with the spacing between the washers and overtightening could cause the ears to break, so I made a bracket to hold the coil stationary for me without having to tighten the screw.
Works great for me and no worries about the ears breaking.. no need to tighten the screw except enough so it does not work loose.

IMG_0298.JPG

I’d be careful with that because it will put undue stress on the optosite side and break the ear. I order to snug up against the shaft the ear has to bend inward and too much SNAP. Read my first post to take up the slack / play in the coil..my fix spacers the rubber washer out so the coil ear bends less.
Doug

On your milk bottle idea are you using one on each side behind the rubber washer or 2 to a side?
I ask as i seen you had drawn out 4 washers.

just one behind the teardrop washer on each side of the coil shaft.
just pop the rubber washer out and place it behind it but it will fit tight between the ears and for that reason I recommend the lubricant on the ears and it will slip in easily.
Before you do do it loosen the bolt way up and wiggle the coil to see how loose it is before you install them. On mine it made a big differance.
Doug

Quake, sorry I missed part of your question.
the reason for four is for two coils.just one spacer behind each rubber bushing.

Nice setup Felix! This bracket you developed will actually prevent torqueing on the opposite side and will obviously stop your coil from moving! (y)

The first time I took my Equinox out, it impressed the heck out of me, but I noticed everytime I set the detector down to dig, the coil would flop flat to the ground and I would have to readjust it before starting out again.
I went out one other time, and said this is it... next time I get out, it will not be doing this.
I knew there was an issue with the spacing between the washers and overtightening could cause the ears to break, so I made a bracket to hold the coil stationary for me without having to tighten the screw.
Works great for me and no worries about the ears breaking.. no need to tighten the screw except enough so it does not work loose.

View attachment 2363

What‘s nice about the spacers I made is it they are not seen and doesn’t mess up the looks of the coil.

Thanks for the tip Donut. I also have the ear stiffeners and the milk jug spacers worked perfectly. They are the perfect thickness. Hit the rubber washers with a little silicone spray and I'm ready for the next outing.

That’s good to hear. I hope many others also do it. I know on mine with the tightening bolt loose all the extra wiggle in the coil went away and my coil ears barely bend when tightening. Glad you use some lubricant because try to reinstall the sh between the coil is almost impossible to re-install. And like you said the milk container spacers seemed to be the perfect thickness.
Glad I was able to help.
Doug