Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Test Bad on RX 15 but ???

Tbone1

Friday I was out at lunch time working my fairly new V3i with the 6 x 10 eclipse.
It started acting erratic on pinpointing.
I'd go to pinpoint and it went to overload even when not over the target.
Then started acting very erratic in search mode as well.
I run in auto track mostly but gb frequently.
Did the waist high Gain at 15 test and it went to overload.
I'm going to send to White's of course but I decided to test my other coils and my perfectly behaved 4 x 6 Eclipse also fails the RX 15 test.
I tested the 5.3 Eclipse, the stock 10" DD and my Detech 8x 6 SEF and they all passed at 15.
So I'm curious as to other what others have seen in this regard
Thanks

You might have your settings too high for conditions or for the ground. I would call the factory before sending anything back. Try to lower your gain and see if overload goes away. You may also have other settings too high as well. Testing at Gain 15 is not a very reliable way to test a coil.

Testing at 15 while holding the coil(s) waist high is the integrity test. Make sure you don't have Boost on. I see your reason for asking. It's odd that three OEM coils would fail all at once.

Sorry, I now saw where you said that the 4x6 failed, not the 5.3, D2.

The integrity test was initially for the 10" DD but White's backed away from depending on that test, too many coils that "failed" at high gain, tested fine in the lab and it is also common for smaller coils to overload at high gain.

Your 6X10 may very well be defective but I wouldn't worry about the other coils that seem to work fine. Again, I would call the factory on the 6x10 for advise.

Larry (IL) said:
The integrity test was initially for the 10" DD but White's backed away from depending on that test, too many coils that "failed" at high gain, tested fine in the lab and it is also common for smaller coils to overload at high gain.

Your 6X10 may very well be defective but I wouldn't worry about the other coils that seem to work fine. Again, I would call the factory on the 6x10 for advise.

Straight from the Fox's mouth after I posed the question of whether the 15 setting with coil at waist level..."Was this test for all of Whites V-rated coils?"

"ALL coils Martin. Every coil "looks electrically the same" to the detector. The test is verifying the coil's null, regardless of size or configuration"

Sorry, my notes were old before White's started making the other coils V compatible. As I stated, "initially" the test was for the V rated D2 and happy to hear it works on all V coils now.

That was cute, Fox asked you to set me straight. :biggrin: