Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil vs another detector? :jump:

gregD

I use my XP for everything and my old detector is used by my wife and kids.... i have the 11" Deus coil but was thinking having a small coil might help me when the trash gets thick.....

So my options 1) wait for the new small coil ($500-ish) or 2) get a different detector with a small 5" round coil (500$-800$ range is reasonable for a good used detector)

I'm thinking the 14khz of the new coil would be good for for general use w/o being too high of a freq. i normally use the deus in 12khz.

A second detector (there was a nice used etrac for sale recently with a small DD coil and a big 15" coil) would give me another tool in the belt that might have some strengths that pickup where the Deus lacks.

Any thoughts?

Well, you have options.

Used cheap Nokta relic detector with the smallest coil,,,,dangerous in iron.
Used Makro Racer 2 with smallest coil,,almost as dangerous in iron.
Used At Pro with a 5x8" coil.
Used Makro Racer with smallest coil--- not as good as Racer 2 due to ID and options.
If you wait long enough,,,a used Nokta Impact with smallest coil,,,maybe even midsized coil,,,more dangerous in iron than Nokta Relic detector.

I haven't fooled with tesoros,,I don't like F75 any series for iron work,,been there and done that.

Never fooled with a T2 either or the classic,,,but if they resemble f75,,, no dice for me.

Etrac with 6" coil would work too,,not as dangerous however as some of the ones above.

martygene said:
squirrel.... the Nokta you mentioned... is that the Fors Core?

No, Impact,,I am currently testing for manufacturer,,,should be released approx late March.

The Nokta CoRe could be added to the list above,,,actually I think it is a tad more dangerous than Racer series detector in iron,,ID not as good as Racer 2 though,,,along with some user options for tone and tone breaks.

Impact detector wearing small coil,,,,DEADLY in iron and nails.

Having a second detector by any other company is always a good thing to have. Just going over your ground with a detector by another company is always going to produce.
Having another coil for your Deus is also the same as having another Deus as the coil IS the machine. So two Deus coils are in fact two separate Deus machines.Just add an after market shaft and your good to go.So lots of ways to go.

Yea i'm waiting to see some tests on the new small coil when its released.... i'm not in any major hurry since i barely have time to go out in the first place :).

Agree with Todd and will add that if you buy the 9 inch Deus coil, you have NO learning curve. I like having a detector from a different manufacture BUT you will have to learn how to use it efficiently for it to pay dividends. Just my 2 Cents!

Just for info sharing here,,I'm a Deus user big time,,,,Impact detector in DI99 mode sounds and acts a lot like Deus. Learning curve here very short IMO.
Been there and done that.

I would think you can get a used racer with the 5" coil for a great deal. I have it and have the deus and am testing the impact. The racer in iron is killer and now that the impact is coming out the racer and the racer 2 will start going on sale. Racer 1 is a great unit and can hunt with the deus with no problems

My thinking to now is that the 9" deus coil would not be different enough from the 11" to make it worthwhile? Thats why i was thinkibg the new small coil might work.

I will check out the racer 2.... would be nice to have a less pricey MD to leave in the trunk of the car

I've used the 11" for 3 years. Just got a used 9. I am impressed!!! It just seems to be able to get at targets better and sounds cleaner. Only had it for 2 hunts so far but it is staying on indefinitely.. I'm glad that I got it.

Just my opinion - but after hunting hundreds heavy iron sites over the years -
Because of it's super fast processor - I believe that a Deus with a 9"coil easily out performs my E-Trac with a 6" coil.
Also, the 9" coil seems much easier to use in tight spots and in over grown areas than the 11" coil.

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
Just my opinion - but after hunting hundreds heavy iron sites over the years -
Because of it's super fast processor - I believe that a Deus with a 9"coil easily out performs my E-Trac with a 6" coil.
Also, the 9" coil seems much easier to use in tight spots and in over grown areas than the 11" coil.

I agree with you on this.

Hmm ok, Maybe i need to consider a 9" then. Reallllllllly want to see how the new small coil will do for general use

I've pulled out coins from really trashy sites with my 9 inch coil that the little 6" coil on my CTX missed simply because its so much faster. I love my CTX but simply going to the 9" rather than the Etrac would be a better choice if your looking for the advantages of a smaller coil including the simple learning curve. Best