Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coils

DirtAngler

Anyone use both the Whjite's 6X10 DD coil and the 6X8 SEF Butterfly coil to offer a good comparison?

I have had the 6X9 DD and I currently have the 8X6 SEF both are excellent coils. The MXT was designed around the 6X9 DD I have read here. I am currently looking for another 6X9 DD then I can give a side by side comparison. To be fair comparing the 8X6 SEF and the Eclipse 5.3 would be a fairer comparison IMO. I have the 5.3 and have used it in the same area with the 8X6 SEF. It (SEF) is a hard coil to want to take off but the 5.3 identifies a target more accurately. There is a video that has been posted here before comparing a 6X9 DD and the 8X6 SEF side by side trying to see a nickle through a red mineralized brick the 6X9 wasn't able to see through the brick the 8X6 SEF had little problem seeing the nickle with the brick on top of it. I think the 6X9 DD would be a deeper coil as it is a 9" coil the 8X6 SEF is a 6" coil hence the comparison to the 5.3 being more direct. I want to try all 3 hunting nuggets this year. Now to get the three coils over some nuggets that will be the trick.

I watched the video with the mineralized brick and I think that test needs to be done again, outside, controlled target and not moved between tests and actually ground balancing instead of what this guy pretends to do. There are variables involved that may or may not be intentional and could sway the results in favor of either coil.

One variable is the rebar underneath the nickel/brick(this video being done in what appears to be a basement), what coil this would favor I can't say.

Another variable is how the brick is centered on the nickel. If its ever so slightly different, you will not get the same results. The brick is moved off the nickel then replaced for each coil tested.

Another variable is what direction the coil is facing according to the brick. If the tester turns 45 degrees he should not have the same results, again not knowing if this favors one coil or the other, its possible the results could be completely opposite as in the video.

Also, as all the MXT and MXT Pro owners know (or should), pressing 'grab ground' button emits a tone when pressed and another tone when released. HOLDING the 'grab ground' button only locks the ground in its current setting until you release the button(pointless if 'trac' is set to 'lock' already). In the video, directly over -95 hotrock, the tester presses & holds the 'grab ground' button and pumps the coil, then when he feels satisfied he releases the button. This is obvious from the tones made from the 'grab ground' button in the video and accomplished nothing because continuously holding the button just locks the GB until released. Even if the tester tried to GB correctly, the detector DOES NOT phase out -95 hotrocks.....as he pointed out was "BALANCED PERFECT".

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBT5idh8_Kk[/video]

MXT users don't have the 'grab ground' button as one of my statements might have inadvertently suggested. But anyways, here is the manual for the MXT Pro and this feature is covered on PAGE 12. MXT PRO Manual
I cannot find any documentation that suggests holding the grab button down does anything other than lock the ground phase in the current setting as long as you continue to hold the button down. The only time you would hold the grab button down is if you have the 'trac' switch set to 'salt' or 'ground', in either case it just temporally locks the ground phase so you can focus on a faint target without changing the GB setting.

Believing what this person says about the MXT and different coils he has tested, knowing full well that he cannot even ground balance his own metal detector, is like taking a placebo pill that cures cancer KNOWING its a placebo pill in the first place. I don't know which coil is better, just that the test has too many variables that are unaddressed.

Aarong81 is right on the mark on the video. Controlling variables is everything in a real test. Very good analyzes. Now I get to go out in to a world full of uncontrolled variables looking for my diamond in the rough.

I used to have a 6x10 eclipse on my dfx, and I thought it was a nice coil. I didn't really have it long enough to give it a fair trial, but I have since bought an mxt pro and put a 6x8 sef on it, and I am absolutely sold on this coil for the pro. I couldn't even believe the small items I could find with it at really incredible depth. For a small coil, the 6x8 packs a heck of a punch.
I haven't even had this machine out in the field more than a few hours, but I can already tell I'm gonna like it better than the dfx. I've also got a 10" DD and a 5.3 for it, but It's hard for me to take this coil off. I will use the 10" for deeper applications and the 5.3 in trashy bottle cap ridden areas, but other than that, I foresee leaving the 6x8 on.
I'm sorry I can't give a more fair comparison.
If I remember right, the 6x10 may have been a little harder to pinpoint with, but don't hold my to it, because I didn't have it for long.

Who sells the SEF coils?

I think KelleyCo it the only US distributor. Ebay has them at times or our Metal detector accessories forum.

Myself I use a D2 DD and have found my SEF 8x6 to be one of the best I have ever used.
Didn't care for the 6x10 or the 5.3 compared to my smaller SEF 6x8
More stable operation and reads great vdi's .
Pinpointing is spot on and great depth and coverage.IMHO it will out due the 6x10 i used and the 5.3 .
I'am so impressed with it I just ordered a SEF 12x10 everyone is making such a fuss about.
I will let you know if i can tell any difference between my D2 and this SEF 12x10 when i get some time on it.
Got just the place to test, worked to death but i know there is still some nice stuff there and I'am the only person to have ever hunted it.
And has been good to me.
Good Hunting To All and Be Safe..........:detecting: