Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils

David53

Are there any suggestions as well as the Pros and Cons concerning which Coil Works Best based on the different Soil Makeups at Parks, Schools, Older Home Sites or the Beach? I already have the Stock & 6" coils. Is it worth the extra money to purchase the 17" DD Coil? Also when using the CTX, what type of harness to take off shoulder stress caused from the detector weight along with swing repetitiveness would be the best to purchase? Any suggestions for these questions would be greatly appreciated.

There's probably as many answers as detectorists but here's mine fwiw.

I love my17" on the beach and in clean fields but barely use it otherwise due to the weight/bulkiness.

Harnesses:
Minelab makes the best; swingythingy doesn't really take the weight off the shoulder for me. You want a harness that has a rigid rod (or something) that transfers the weight from the shoulder to your waist belt. I made my own with milsurp and pvc pipe based on the ML design and I can hunt until a full battery charge dies if the rest of me is able. (I can only go about 2hr with the 17 and no harness without feeling it for days afterward, altho I do have an old shoulder injury).

Theres bound to be places where a 17" would benefit you, but its really only possible for You to judge if that warrants the price of one. I'd say if you beach hunt, the answer is skewed toward BUY!

Minelab Pro-swing, the others don't even come close for me.
I've had 3 neck surgeries and a shoulder surgery and I do not swing the CTX without it or I pay dearly the next day.

Amen brothers! The Pro-Swing is expensive and worth every penny to me. Laughably enough, one day I sorted through my bungees and found the right length one with the right "bungee-ness" and it worked GREAT! Hooked it on my left rear belt loop,over the shoulder and hooked to the CTX. About 30 minutes later I had a groove being cut in my shoulder/neck area...enough of that! For long swinging between targets....harness. I use it with my Explorer,IDXPro and weed eater...no kidding.

I agree with the pro swing. It has some negatives,but it makes all day hunting so much easier. The 17 coil is a beast. I really don't use it much anymore because it is too heavy. Performance wise I feel the stock coil works best for me.

I have excellent results with the detecting buddy using the 17" coil. I can go for hours. I made some modifications so it easily disconnects when recovering a target. They cost 25 as opposed to the 125-135 for the pro swing.

Very easy to mount and take off.

Basically I kept the over the shoulder part and used mountain clips and a bungee for the lower part. The original part slipped up the shaft so using a bungee I was able to make several wraps.

I am 68 and use the Pro Swing even with the stock coil. I can hunt much long with that help. The 17 inch coil is a great beach coil it would be my choose.

The only downside to using the 17" on the beach is if you are hunting in the surf. It is hard to swing underwater and the surf really pushes it around. Also, in the wet sand, the 17" detects VERY deep! Sometimes too deep to actually recover the item before the tide comes in :) . I don't know how this is possible, but it will definitely detect items 24" down.

17" is great in fields with little trash.