Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils

wildwilly

John, if you had to select one coil for all situations which coil would it be? The 6x11 or the 5x8? Either way how do you like the 5x8? Thanks .

John, if you had to select one coil for all situations which coil would it be? The 6x11 or the 5x8? Either way how do you like the 5x8? Thanks .
Sorry for replying late. I was working this weekend, and processing 8 lbs of buffalo meet to make jerky. Got it all done last night at 22:30. I would go with the 5 x 8 coil. It gets great depth proportionally to it's size. A great coil for working in the woods, creeks and areas with a lot of junk targets due to its ability of good target separation. The stock coil is fairly close to an average size coil. If I was hunting ploughed fields or areas where there are known deep targets, I would get the large coil.

I believe that there is no universal, you need to check! And better let there be a few!
Yah..........that's a tough one. It kind of depends where you live, what and where you hunt. The stock coil is actually a nice compromise. But, sometimes getting a new coil is similar to purchasing a second metal detector at a reduced cost.

All of my machines have the smallest coils on them. They all get great depth for their size and separate better than the largest coils. I have found my best finds ever with the small coils.

wildwilly, you really need both. The 11" coil on the A T's separate really well for their size. I have both coils and I know for a fact there are deeper targets that the 5 x 8 can't see that the 11" can. And more then one would think. Each share about equal hunting time for me, but if I could only have one it would be the 5 x 8 for my trashy park hunting. HH Jim tn

I just contacted my dealer and his distributor said the 5x8 wasn't available yet. What's going on? Thanks for your comments all.

Sorry a delayed reply. Just been home from the hospital since day-before-yesterday and out of commission since the 11th. However, I am quite pleased with my coil choices for my two Apex detectors. First, the stock 6X11 DD 'Viper' is an 'OK' coil, but mine stays in m Accessory Coil Tote. My primary-use Apex keeps the excellent 5X8 'Ripper' DD mounted full-time. An ideal size for just about any general-purpose hunting. My 2nd Apex sports the really useful 8½X11 DD 'Raider' coil for a bit better coverage, depth, and working more open ares such as a plowed field, sports field, etc.

Should I get into a much more confined spare with a lot of dense brush, etc., then I swap out my 8½X11 'Raider' coil for the NEL 'Sharp' 5" DD. With those 3 search coils I have all my wants and needs addressed with the new Apex.

Monte

Sorry a delayed reply. Just been home from the hospital since day-before-yesterday and out of commission since the 11th. However, I am quite pleased with my coil choices for my two Apex detectors. First, the stock 6X11 DD 'Viper' is an 'OK' coil, but mine stays in m Accessory Coil Tote. My primary-use Apex keeps the excellent 5X8 'Ripper' DD mounted full-time. An ideal size for just about any general-purpose hunting. My 2nd Apex sports the really useful 8½X11 DD 'Raider' coil for a bit better coverage, depth, and working more open ares such as a plowed field, sports field, etc.

Should I get into a much more confined spare with a lot of dense brush, etc., then I swap out my 8½X11 'Raider' coil for the NEL 'Sharp' 5" DD. With those 3 search coils I have all my wants and needs addressed with the new Apex.

Monte
Wishing you a speedy recovery! Really great summary on your coil usage.