Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils

carneygeorge

Hi question... If you have a spot that doesn't have much to any trash what coil would be the best for depth,,soft earth with a few trees. HH George

If you want Light Weight and still get a little more depth, then use a Sunray X-12 Coil. The other 2 Coils will get about the same depth as the Sunray but they will be a bit heavier, especially the WOT Coil. Good Luck and HH.

he owns a WOT 15" Coil. He wanted to see how much of a difference there was with Depth and also to see how much easier it is to swing than his WOT Coil. After using it for a few months, he told me that the X-12 was just as good as the WOT and it was of course lighter and easier to swing. I have personally only had limited use of a WOT Coil for a short time and I didn't see much difference myself. But, I do wish I could have used the WOT Coil more than I did because the only way to really prove which is the better Coil is to run various Field Tests between the two Coils for a few months, then the answer would be more complete. By the way Mattlockman, have you used either Coil yourself and if you have, what kind of things did you see that set one Coil apart from the other? And of course your info would be most likely different due to different ground conditions in your area. Good Luck and HH.:detecting:

There's a fine line with deep coils in that if there is any trash present that a little bit smaller coil would work better and a little larger wouldn't, it also matters a great deal that if you have a really large coil but the windings inside the coil are not wound close to the outside edge, than a smaller coil with the windings close to it's outside edge would technically be the same as the larger coil, maybe even bigger, confused??? That's why some people get better results from smaller coils, the true size of the coil is the measurement of the windings inside the coil. But let's say your deepies are ten inches, you want to use a coil that adequately can read ten inch targets accurately, but any coil that reads deeper would be a negative because now you're also reading several extra inches of soil mineralization, trash targets and such that the smaller coil would not have to deal with. So a too large coil can literally have a canceling effect on it's own depth. You want to try and use the smallest coil that effectively works the depth your seeking and no more. That, like every other thing in this hobby, is trial and error, and your results will be specific to your area on that day...depending on the gravitational pull of the moon and whether or not you own a black cat or a yellow dog and other specific, scientific stuff like that.:stars:

I use the WOT to cover more ground faster but just in very low trash places like big fields, etc. In those cases I really like the WOT. But when I try a new place I use the stock coil first to check the conditions. I'm not sure if the WOT is all that much deeper but I do know that silver at 8 inches will ring your ears off. It does enhance the sound of the target compared to the stock coil at comparable depths.

It should be remembered that the stock coil covers about 79 square inches or so where the WOT covers about 178 square inches. That's why in trashy ground or ground with a lot of electrical interference the WOT is not the coil to use.

At least that's my opinion you're mileage may vary.

HH

I have the Sunray 12" and now the Excelerator 14. My first impressions with the 14" is that it does give a decided boost to the depth over the stock coil. I've had the SR for a few years and I could not see any depth difference between it and the stock coil. If I had of had the depth over the stock coil then I would have never spent the money for the difference between the 12 and 14 if that tells you anything.

The 14" is noticeably heavy and the Sunray is less heavy. Neither of them are what I would call light.

Having said the above, I should add a disclaimer that I have not took them out and tested them one on one with the same target. But if I had to bet on depth I would go with the 14. I feel more satisfied that the 14 gives me extra depth. I didn't feel that way with the 12. I'm not saying it is a bad coil. It does find stuff. My copy may be different than someone elses. I generally trust Sunray much more than I do Kellyco. But in this case I give the nod to my copy of Excelerator over my copy of the Sunray. For someone else it might be the complete opposite.

HH Alton

Makes good sense and very helpful. I think I'll pick up a 12" for my SE. I have an 8" concentric excelerator coil and it's a great coil...but not if you already have a smaller coil. It's pretty deep and separates great...but I already have the 4x7. Anyone interested in the 8" concentric for their explorer or quattro...slip me an email.

I own them all, stock coil, ML 8, Sunray 12, and WOT 15. Nothing tops the WOT in depth and it is freaking insanely HOT on silver. There is also some interesting stuff going on with the WOT and the particular magnetic field it puts out.

Charles

Can't beat a large Sunray coil on beaches and those large fields..Wish they were around when I hunted saltwater beaches as my pouch would have been a lot heavier...Certainly a debateble subject and many prefer either..Myself the stock 10.5 gives me 10-12 inch silver and is more suitable for my hunting areas as even digging that deep can be a problem...Thanks for your input and choose the weapon of your choice...

I agree with Charles. I have them all too and for seriously insane depth + coverage I vote WOT every time.