Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek 10x5 DD coil

moose57

I need some help.How many of you use the coiltek 10x5 dd coil. Do you like this
coil and is it worth the price you paid for it. Comments please.Thank you!

I don't have one. They are hard to get and we are not seeing much response from the few that have them.
HH Jeff

i had 1 & it worked great worth the $ yes but i stayed with the stock coil as i have other machines for diff rent tasks
i did a video on the coil for prospecting

I like it. I seem to go for the minelab 6" for most tasks. Using the Coiltek for 10 days then swith back to the Minelab 6". They seem comparable with the Coiltek giving a little more depth and coverage. If you have the minelab 6" you should get most of the signals the Coiltek 10 x 6" gets, with a little less weight. It mostly depends what and where you detect. For myself I do a lot of lake and stream detecting so both of these coils excel. I have used both in parks and fields and they both work well, maybe the edge to the Coiltek for coverage. Trying to be as accurate as I can with the comparison. The weight of the coiltek is just under 1 lb. and feels less surprisingly. Yes if you can get the coil I think you will be pleased. But if you can't the 6" Minelab will do most of the same tasks, save a little depth, weight, and coverage. The minelab 6' is a little better in response and accuracy in trashy areas. Hope that helped.

I have one but haven't hunted with it. But I did test it in my test garden. IMO, it's much deeper than the 6 in.
Not saying it's as deep as the 11in but it detected all the coins in my garden. Not as well as the 11 but definitely got them. Coins up to 11 inches deep. I know I've been told that's impossible but it did.

I have one but haven't hunted with it. But I did test it in my test garden. IMO, it's much deeper than the 6 in.
Not saying it's as deep as the 11in but it detected all the coins in my garden. Not as well as the 11 but definitely got them. Coins up to 11 inches deep. I know I've been told that's impossible but it did.
Jay hop, that’s interesting.
What does, ‘not as well as the 11’? VDIs were off, sound was off?
Tony

Jay hop, that’s interesting.
What does, ‘not as well as the 11’? VDIs were off, sound was off?
Tony
I've only tested it that one time in my garden since I've had it. Don't remember about the VDI but what I do remember is that the audio report wasn't as strong. I'm talking about on the deep 10 to 11 inch coins.
When I had the six inch coil it wouldn't report at all on those coins.
My detecting season is from October to April mostly. Unless I go to the beach in the summer, which I didn't do this year.

Calabashdigger posted a video today proving what I have been saying about the depth of the 10x5.
Thank you Calabashdigger.

Calabashdigger posted a video today proving what I have been saying about the depth of the 10x5.
Not saying he posted it for me. But glad he posted it.

I have one and used it on my Eq800 to go gold prospecting for the first time. First time out with the coil as well. It definitely was stable under the Gold programs (I used mostly Gold 2 with a few recommended tweaks). Found a few pieces of tiny gold that hit solidly at depth on TID 9-10. I want to try it next at the beach in the water to see if it is more stable than the Minelab 15" or 11" in finding small jewelry in the salty sand. I'll have to see how Calabash rates it.

Thanks, I looked at his video. I am a vid numbers guy and many were difficult to see. What I did notice was although the 10 x 5 hit all targets with sound the VDIs seemed better when the 11 inch was on his machine but that’s me.
Results will vary in your soils not his or a park.
If you buy it there will be a learning curve for sure unless you dig when the depth meter says Deep, then it won’t matter.
Please don’t beat me up it’s only my opinion. This machine is expensive and we all just learned that after warranty means you might have to pay if the head breaks. Minelab only replaces it at cost.
Tony

Calabash has pretty mild ground I believe. I have (F75) 2 bar dirt over my way and even with my Nox can I duplicate the depth he gets over his way on most tests. Nothing against the coil or Cals test(s), but just a reminder that not all test results will be the same as his, yours, or mine. HH jim tn

Calabash has pretty mild ground I believe. I have (F75) 2 bar dirt over my way and even with my Nox can I duplicate the depth he gets over his way on most tests. Nothing against the coil or Cals test(s), but just a reminder that not all test results will be the same as his, yours, or mine. HH jim tn
I agree 100%.
I think he lives in south eastern nc and I live in north eastern nc. He normally gets a little better depth as far as the audio response goes from what I can tell on the videos.
But yes, you are right about the soil making a difference.
Bottom line is that this 10x5 coil is some how getting depth that some say isn't possible because of its size.
But everyone will probably get different results in their ground.
One other thing, in my very limited testing I saw very little difference when it came to separation, Between the 10x5 and the 11.
But that was my same conclusion between the 11 and the 6. The thing is that the 10x5 gets much better depth than the 6.
In my ground, in my garden.

I have the coiltek 10 x 5" for my 800. I manly do Civil War relic hunting and trashy parks. Thus I love it and it stays on my 800 for these reasons.

Really good for hunting in trashy and separating good targets from trash. Of course you better know how to accurately set your recovery speed.
Here is how I do it. I set my threshold audio so I can hear the hum.

if audio threshold is showing a lot of targets under the coil by the rapid nulls sounding, I increase my recovery speed to 7-8.
if the audio threshold is kind of quiet like out in the fields/woods hunting relics I decrease my recover speed below 4 some times at 1-2 ranage.

Remember lower recovery speed and the slower the swing (which is absolutely necessary at low recovery speeds) will find you deeper targets.

In trashy parks you pretty much have to go with the higher recovery speed to find hidden (masked) good targets.

my 800 with steve detector rod's carbon fiber rods, the coiltek 10 x 5" make swinging the 800 a dream compared to a pure stock 800. Instead of a 2 hour max for me hunting, I can hunt most of the day. Plus a new lighter waist high shovel has also helped quite a bit, now I dig targets with out stooping, kneeling and bending over. That past digging technique was really making me tire easily also.