Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek 6" Treasure seeker impressions

Sailorman

So, I actually won a contest that landed one of these in my lap! I've done some head to head testing with it against a 4.5 x 7 Excelerator and run it on several trashy filled hunts and thought I'd give my first imptressions.

A little background first on my experience with small coils. My first small coil was the Sunray 5". I thought it was great until on a trashy hunt with two other people with different machines we were doing head to heads on undug targets. I discovered it's weakness, on edge coins. It flat didn't like them and if there was any iron in the area they were not just hard to hit, they were invisible. So I got the Excelerator. In head to head comparisons it was deeper by maybe an inch but also was hitting on edge coins that the Sunray never even gave any signal on.

Now I have the Coiltek in hand. So far the comparison is they are very close. On the bench, and we all know air tests only indicate just so much, the Coiltek is .5 inches deeper on a clad dime and 1" deeper on a clad quarter. This test was also done indoors with enough EMI that Auto plus 3 was only running at 15. Checking ability with rusty iron and a clad dime on the surface they run pretty much neck and neck. Putting an on edge dime within two inches of a rusty nail and swinging across them I give the slight edge in audio to the Coiltek, just barely, when running in auto +3. They both miss it when swinging parallel.

In actual field hunts I give mixed results both ways. The Coiltek seems to handle pushing the manual sens higher in trashy spots with less falsing. The Excelerator seems to give louder reports on very small targets. I still give about a 1" depth increase to the Coiltek over the Excelerator. Part of that may be due to the strange arrangement of the coil cover on the Excelerator. There is a half inch air gap between the cover and coil, never understood why they did that. The coil cover on the Coiltek comes sealed with some sort of heavy tape from the factory and appears to fit flush like most covers.

Both coils are well made but the strain relief on the wire at the coil appears better on the Coiltek.

I did make an accidental discovery while playing around with targets laid on the ground. I had a rusty bolt about one half inch in diameter and about four inches long. I laid a clad dime within an inch of it. I do most of my testing with a wide open screen. Of course neither coil caught the dime at a normal hunting swing speed with manual sens at 25, just trashy looking numbers and ID. But for kicks I turned on a slightly modified version of the trashy park pattern and swung both again. The Excelerator did the same thing but the Coiltek gave be a mixed audio that I would stop and check in the field, nothing conclusive but something I'd investigate. When I slowed way down to the kind of very slow swing you'd use to check out something interesting in a trashy setting I got a signal that said coin! The FE was of course way off but I got a 43 conductive, and that would always get my interest in the field when there's plenty of trash. The audio was also much better. So somehow this coil was working better WITH heavy disc then without. None of my other coils did this and I tried them, only the Coiltek. Now the question is will this repeat itself on buried targets, only time will tell!

Thanks for the writeup!
I've been thinking of trying one myself
Much appreciated!
Cheers

Good write-up. I ordered the 6" Coiltek and it is on the way. I have the 8x6 SEF now. Great little coil but always ready to try something else.

I have the 8x6 SEF too and wondering about the Coiltek 6" too .... I hade the 3kHz version on my 705 and it is a silver killer

Got the 6" Coiltek today. Air tested it and really like the way it behaved. Seems to be more stable (less chatter and ID stays put better) than the 8x6 and deeper too. Will try it in the field tomorrow.

Hunted 4 hours today with the 6" Coiltek in a very trashy park with tons of iron that I have used three different coils on in the past. I found an old 1930's tax token at about 5" in an area I hunted heavy before. It stood out loud and clear even with iron nearby. After that only a couple of nickels but I called both of them before digging so the coil can really differentiate between targets. I think I am really going to like it.

guess I have to get one now

chb177 said:
Got the 6" Coiltek today. Air tested it and really like the way it behaved. Seems to be more stable (less chatter and ID stays put better) than the 8x6 and deeper too. Will try it in the field tomorrow.

It's going to take more than anecdotal opinion to convince me it's deeper than the 8 x 6 in the field but I suppose it's possible.
I would like to see a head to head with the 6" EQ and 4.5 x 7 Excelerator. The Coiltek appears to be priced right in the middle so it could be a viable compromise.

if it's as good as the 6" digger coil coiltek makes for the XTerra's it will be a beast ...

sprchng said:
chb177 said:

It's going to take more than anecdotal opinion to convince me it's deeper than the 8 x 6 in the field but I suppose it's possible.
I would like to see a head to head with the 6" EQ and 4.5 x 7 Excelerator. The Coiltek appears to be priced right in the middle so it could be a viable compromise.

I don't have the 6" EQ but I have run the 4.5 x 7 for over a year. So far I've found each has it's place. The Coiltek is running a little deeper but I still think The 4.5 x 7 does a little better on really small targets. At least to me they sound better but that could be just because I'm used to it. I have picked a rivet from an old pair of blue jeans out on a trashy site with the Coiltek and that's pretty small but it was a fringe signal and I often dig those.

As for separation testing on unburied combinations leans towards the Coiltek for me and again it's pretty close hunting in the field it seems but that's very hard to call, you don't know what you're missing after all. I don't have a buried test patch so can't do that kind of testing. Would be interested in seeing some done though.

Honestly they run pretty close so far.

What about the consistency of the tones and TID when compared to other coils? I have read on this forum I believe about users reporting that the 4.5 x 7 has a tendency to report a TID that is a couple of points higher than the Procoil , for instance , a clad dime reading 46 or 47 repeatedly with a similar tone and quarters at 48. I have noticed the 6 x 8 SEF appears to give me much the same TID numbers as thee procoil but the tones are a bit clearer--more pronounced.

I've found the same thing with my 4.5 x 7. You just learn it's there and run with it. The numbers on the Coiltek so far run pretty consistent with Procoil (which, honestly, I havent run in about a year) and Ultimate 13.