Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek 9 x 14 first impressions at the beach

nagov

Next week, I will get around to side by side testing of this coil and the 11" Minelab coil for more specifics on how these two stack up.
I just thought that some of my first impressions on the 9 x 14 may help others with their decision on IF this coil would work for them.

First off, it is heavy and I noticed the weight immediately. For me, it requires a bungee strap of some sorts to use on the dry and wet sand.
This one is waterproof, I went through two 5 x 10's before I got one that was waterproof. I've used this coil now for 6 hours in the water with no problems....however
When you get into the water the coil puts an immediate strain on your arm (elbow and shoulder) when pushing it though the water. This goes away somewhat when you get the display underwater.
My assumption for this is when the display is underwater, the drag isn't just at the end of the lower shaft, it is more equal along the shaft.

I believe the weight of the coil actually helps when chest to neck deep.

Pinpointing seems easier, depth seems at least the same as the 11" but more details will follow with side by side testing on found targets.

I did manage my first two gold finds with it today, neither were one scoop finds and both small in size and weight. 1.88 grams and 1.92 grams (14k).

In Auto +3 Sensitivity, this coil seems to allow the unit to run 1 or 2 higher than the machine with the 11" installed. With the 11", in Auto +3 the machine would settle on 19 most of the time (in the water), with the 9 x 14 on, it was a constant 21 in the water.

You don't have to worry about swinging this setup to fast in the water and maybe that is a good thing.

I'm serious about the bungee strap for those that aren't regular work out freaks......Hope this helps some for the beach/water hunters.

Cliff

I think the sealed battery helps out deeper.... much like the Xcals Cliff. Its good that it allows for more sensitivity.... we both know that a larger coil in salt water normally requires you to reduce the sensitivity. Hows the coil flip......which normally occurs near shore? Very much falsing? Like you told me the issue with the 17" is its just too much for a lot time in the water to a point you start stepping on it. Being an Xcal guy ive enjoyed that longer shaft too...... so if you do what ive done and ordered a longer shaft from Pete you would deff need a bungee. You also mentioned to me that this coil PPs better. Never really been a fan of Coiltek just because they think water resistant means waterproof.

Dew

I am very happy with the stock 11" coil. It covers nearly everything I want it to do. The only other coil I'd like to add would be an 8" like the tornado coils. Simple clean lines that would glide under water when wading and nowhere for sand to get trapped.

The coil does make a difference in water......... BUT the greatest displacement/restriction in the water is that HUGE shaft.

Dew