Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin Cleaning

RONMETZGER

Hi All,

Find a V-Nickel this morning! I can barely make out the date, I think it's a 1897 or 87. Is there a way to clean the coin without doing any more damage? March has been good to me (7 Silvers and a V), I will post a picture after I finish detecting this weekend. Good luck. Ron in Henrietta NY

Ron, my first LC is a reminder not to over clean coins.It ended up in two pieces after being assaulted with every thing out of the kitchen and a home made electrolysis. Man, I would like to have that coin back the way it looked when it was first washed off in the creek :cry: But I put nickels in a sandwich bag with ketchup rubbing every couple of hours.

Olive oil works pretty good. Use non abrasive cloth. And gently wipe.

Nickels are almost impossible to clean, unlike copper and bronze coins which can be cleaned safely with good results.

The only suggestion i have on cleaning nickels is a gentle thumb rub, or brushing with a toothbrush, just enough to get the surface dirt off. Any other cleaning including tap water will only ruin a nickel.

what about silver? I find silver coins covered in black from the ground, I don't want to rub them, any suggestions?

Thanks for the responses, I tried a little vinegar bath and then olive oil with a Q-tip to pick up any remaining soil. It came out pretty good and I could see the date much clearer (1907). Thanks again. Ron

Nickels are mostly copper and are the toughest coin to conserve. (All that dark is copper oxidation contained in a nickel mix.) I seen someone use LimeAway (online) and they were at least presentable. I hate cleaning coins but......I do it on a case by case basis and in some situations, a simple soap and water cleaning can damage an "original" coin. Step lightly and use non-valuable examples to learn what each type of procedure does. In almost all cases of a darkened, pitted surface....leave them alone but...did see that LimeAway make nickels look fine? (Again, I haven't used it...and would start out with modern junk.)

My cleaned nickels (other than soap and water) look worse. I don't bother now.

Most coin shops have a liquid coin dip that does a pretty good job on silver, but again as stated before, if your coin is worth more than bullion value I wouldn't clean it with anything more than soap and water and your fingertips (lightly). The dip is a mild acid and although the coin looks great, a collector can tell that it has been cleaned (dipped) if you were thinking of selling it. If shinny clean silver is for your enjoyment, the dip is great.

I was thinking maybe someone out there maybe uses some mild overnight solution to loosen the black from silver

That black on silver coin (If it's the "beach black" and anything real dark) is deep inside the actual surface....leave it alone...the oxidation is so imbedded that even hitting it with acids and electrolysis always leaves total a mess. I realize every coin doesn't have to have the same considerations involved (ie...to be graded by a third party service, go into a "top" collection etc...) so different approaches can be taken but in your case, leaving well enough alone.... is a slam dunk decision!

Be very careful with MS70. I work in a large coin shop,have been through using all cleaners and most chems. If your coin is dark AND beautiful.....collectors WILL enjoy it for what it is.....beautiful.