Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin-For-Coin!

ironman200081

I got out for one last hunt before cramming the family in the dad-wagon and hitting the highway for the annual great American summer road trip. I am not taking my detector on vacation because I don’t want another divorce. Anyway, I met my digging partner early and we toon nearly 2 hours of back road byways to a picnic spot that has been a wealth of old coins for me. We both swing the Minelab CTX-3030. The digging was hot and so was the weather. We were digging coin-for-coin for a while. I’d pop up an Indian, and then he would. I’d dig a few Wheaties, then he would. I got a silver Roosie, and then he did. I dug ANOTHER Indian, and then less than two minutes later, he did! I thought when I pulled the 1857 Seated quarter that I set the bar too high for him to top. Well, not so much. He followed it up with an 1877 Seated dime.

At one point, I found an 1895-S Barber dime on the surface. Most coins were 1-2 inches deep. My partner, not to be outdone, pulled a second silver Roosie. I also dug a neat silver-plated badge from the 1906 elks Grand Lodge Reunion that was shaped like Balanced Rock at the Garden of the Gods, Colorado, because that’s where they held the reunion. I also got a neat tag, probably a luggage tag, that says “R. Thomas 35 Sedalis, MO.” I dug a total of 4 Indians – an 1880, 1897, 1898, and a crusty 188???. I also pulled a copper-nickel looking coin with no details that is just slightly smaller than a cent. It looks like the fatty Indians I have dug before with the dark red color. We dug a ton of trash and clad as well, and had a sweatin’ good time. It was a great way to abate the detecting itch while I am on vacation.
IMG_20210606_151317684.jpg

Uh....where exactly was that again?:lol:
What a day! You‘re on one of those sites like Rattlehead’s hill! Coins and tokens and relics an inch or two deep, just sitting there. It really plays into the theory that coins do NOT sink, they are covered by nature and a lot by humans, but regardless...a perfect ending to this stage of the summer! Now go have some fun with the family! Divorces can be expensive and nasty, so I hear....🤣

Thank you all for the kind words. I type this as I sit out watching the waves roll in on the Alabama coast. I can't help but wonder..... What treasures are out there in the sand??!!

This spot was dammed up to make a tank pond in about 1890. The towns folk obviously used it for picnic and recreation. At some parts, the coins are shallow while others are at around 6 inches. Strange, productive ground.

Great hunt :thumbup:

I also like hunting with a hunting partner. It's far more fun to share the experience, and having someone that's finding the 'goodies' can really encourage you to up your game.
(Not to mention, you can watch each others backs if you're in an iffy area.)

Enjoy your summer vacation!
:)
mike

This was the first time I ever dug coin for coin with him. But as you can tell he started piling on towards the end. He found the luggage token and the reunion badge. We are going diggin this Sunday, hopefully we can have a repeat. It is supposed to be hot so that's part of the repeat.

This was the first time I ever dug coin for coin with him. But as you can tell he started piling on towards the end. He found the luggage token and the reunion badge. We are going diggin this Sunday, hopefully we can have a repeat. It is supposed to be hot so that's part of the repeat.
If you can hang with the Ironman, you have a good handle on that machine Moreb. Very nice to see “twinning” CTX’s, they are an INCREDIBLE detector. If mine exploded in my face today I’d have another one coming tomorrow. A machine that can give me the information that I need to pull 100+ silver coins out of my area EVERY YEAR? That’s what we call a “keeper”!
A little friendly competition is a nice bonus, it’s keeps people involved and locked in.