Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin on Edge

Bob38

Noxers

I was wondering what percentage of coins could be in the ground that may be vertical or at a 45-degree angle and harder to locate. I know this is a lofty question but What do you think? I was thinking about 20-30%

In the northern US where the ground freezes over winter the ground heaves and settles several inches gradually flipping coins end over end. Sites hunted clean after a few cycles of this come alive again as coins that were on edge flip over flat or to a 45 degree angle and become detectable.

I can understand that happening at a higher pace in the northeast than it does here in Oklahoma. The old park I hunt is one of those trashy parks and the oldest coin I have found there is a 1919 wheat penny about 8 inches. My theory is I'm missing a considerable amount of 45ers and verticals and as soon as I change the way I hunt this park the sooner it will start to give up the coin.

You aren't likely missing any with the EQX. I have dug plenty of angled and on-edge coins with it. One thing to remember about old parks... they have been pounded by detectorists since the 1960s. the only coins left are recent drops and ones too deep, on-edge or mixed with trash for other to find.

Old coins hunting in a public park is like bass fishing in a public lake. Its more about finding ANYTHING of quality, not quantity.

The on edge mixed with trash is what I'm looking for. You are correct in your assessment and totally agree. However, I have hunted this small area within this park off and on since I received my Nox a month ago to learn its capabilities. Since then the Nox has yielded two war nickels and one Roosevelt dime, and deeper wheat pennies in this small area of the park. I have totally passed on the iffy signals but before I move to another section I intend to revisit these iffy signals just for S and Gs.

Funny how a few finds will rebuild your confidence in an area.

The processing speed of the Nox is the difference maker. I hunted the same area with my Etrac and it couldn't touch these coins probably due to the rusty nails, aluminum shards, and bottle caps. Not to mention my settings and my inability to recognize what it was telling me. No doubt the Etrac is a kick-ass machine but for these trashy sites. I'm totally on board with the Nox.................that's until they come out with an Equitrac.

Thanks, Jason Always good to hear from a fellow Okie

Bob38 said:
...... before I move to another section I intend to revisit these iffy signals just for S and Gs.

Funny how a few finds will rebuild your confidence in an area.

The processing speed of the Nox is the difference maker. I hunted the same area with my Etrac and it couldn't touch these coins probably due to the rusty nails, aluminum shards, and bottle caps. Not to mention my settings and my inability to recognize what it was telling me. No doubt the Etrac is a kick-ass machine but for these trashy sites. I'm totally on board with the Nox.................that's until they come out with an Equitrac.

Thanks, Jason Always good to hear from a fellow Okie

If you are new to the EQX, you MUST dig "iffy" signals just to learn the machine. What some people label "iffy" I call "deep silver". Yes, the EQX is slaying it in some of my old pounded grounds, ESPECIALLY on nickels. I dig more buffies and v-nicks in a week of hunting than I found in 2 years with my CTX. Also have recovered more gold than in previous years combined. The EQX is one awesome detector!

Agreed brother. Going to get the iffy this Saturday morning early!

It can make you scratch your head sometimes. Ive dug a lot of bad sounding quarter and other coins....... that werent that deep with the Nox. BUT....... i also know the area is hunted by a lot of people. So....... did all of them miss these..... or did they just sound so bad on other machines they didnt waste their time on them? Things do change out there by the min. in the water thou.