Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coincidence or Destiny?

Mason Jarr

Long story. I have this farmer friend that has an old stage coach station on his property and I talked to him last year about detecting it. He said I could get on the place anytime I wanted so I've been waiting for a good day to head over there. Today was that day. I picked up a friend who was going along with me and we drove over to meet the farmer. Of course it's planting season so when we go to the spot I called him on his cell phone and he had us drive down a maze of dirt roads to meet up with him. Then we followed him over to where he had to work on a broken tractor. While we were waiting on him to finish with the tractor the big boss drives up. We're waiting in my truck, and the boss walks by us (without saying a word) and goes out to talk to my friend. After they have a short conversation my friend walks over to my truck and says, "this is your lucky day. The boss hardly ever is in a good mood, but he seems to be today. He asked who you guys were and what you wanted, so I told him you were going over to detect the stage stop station on my place. He said there's an old homestead down the road that you guys can detect while I'm working on this tractor, so you need to follow him and he'll show you where it is." The boss walks back by our truck (again without a word), gets into his and turns around. We turn around also and follow him about 2 miles down the road until we get to a gate in the fence. He gets out and finally speaks. He says, "see those trees back up that hill? There's an old foundation from an early 1900s house up there. Follow the road to it. Let us know what you find." Then he gets into his truck and drives away.

Now on the way to this gate in the fence, we'd just driven by an old farmhouse that looked to be about 100 years old and abandoned. It looked like a great place to detect. But, since the boss didn't seem to be a very talkative person we decided not to push our luck about asking him if we could detect that place, also. So we went on down the road until we got to the foundation he'd directed us to. We spent about an hour tromping around in some high brush and neither of us ever got a promising signal. I told my detecting friend that it looked like a dud and we should head back over to meet my farmer friend and move on over to the stage stop location. As we're driving back towards the good looking farmhouse that we'd passed on the way to the old foundation, I see a car turn into the driveway. When we got even with the house I see that the car is backed into the barn and there's a guy sitting in it. I decided to ask him if we could detect the yard around the old farmhouse. Now this guy is super nice and he says, "sure, go ahead. Have a great time." We get our gear together and start working the edge of this fairly large yard. My buddy shouts out that something was wrong with his machine. Unfortunately, he was getting spurious readings and we couldn't get his machine to stabilize (a Teknetics T2). So for the rest of the hunt, he had to limp along with a barely functioning detector. I felt really bad for him, because this yard turned out to be awesome. In about 5 hours of working a grid pattern here's the old coins I found:

We finally finished the yard and I knocked on the door to thank the man for letting us detect around his house. I offered him one of the dimes and a Wheatie, but he declined. He said, "if you'd found some gold I might've taken you up on it, but you guys worked hard to dig those coins, so keep 'em." What a great person he turned out to be. As we continued to talk he said he'd grown up in the area and knew where there were several more old homesteads. He told us to come on back and he'd take us around and show us where they were. I told him, I'd bring my White's DFX backup machine next time and give him a short lesson on how to use it so he could join in the hunt with us. He said it sounded like it'd be a great time.

We eventually did meet up with my farmer friend and made it to the stage stop station, but it also turned out to be a dud.

Now, I think this was way more than a coincidence. Too many things had to happen in just the right way, for us to find these coins. If my farmer friend hadn't stopped to fix the tractor, if the big boss hadn't stopped to see what he was doing and hadn't been in a good mood, if we'd have left the old foundation sooner because we weren't having any luck, if I hadn't seen the car pulling into the driveway at the old farmhouse, if the man hadn't been sitting in the car as we drove by, and if I hadn't stopped to ask him if we could detect his yard the coins would still be sitting where they've been for many years. I truly think this was a case of destiny.

I will post some more pictures on here after I get the coins cleaned a little. The Walking Liberty half was a first for me. Eight silvers in one day was also a new one. I really do feel bad for my detecting buddy since his machine was acting up. He did find a few pennies, but all of them were modern Lincolns. He's at home right now, looking on the Internet for E-Trac dealers!!

Congrats on finding your first WLH - the most beautiful coin ever minted in the US - and on finding that much Silver in one day !

Great story, awesome finds. Sounds like some more leads to possible honey holes too!

HH Quack

IBdiggin said:
Nice!! :thumbup: How do you guys get this old money to clean up so nice?---Larry

I can't speak for everyone, but I'll tell you how I do it. In the field, all my old coins go into a pill bottle. When I get home I sort them into groups by the denomination and try to determine the dates and mint marks. If the coins are just common dates then I do a little more advanced cleaning on them, but if they had any possibility of collection value I just run water over them and gently try to wash off the dirt. That's the end for the rarer coin cleaning. For the common coins, with silver I run the coin underneath the faucet toget it wet and then get a pinch of baking soda and rub the coin with the baking soda between my thumb and forefinger. Sometimes I have to do this several times, but they almost always come out shiny like the above pictures. I didn't use baking soda on the WLH though.

For cents and nickels, I have a small electrolysis system that I built from an 800ma AC to DC battery charger. Depending on the amount of gunk of the coins, I'll soak them in a bowl that's been treated with sodium carbonate (not sodium bicarbonate, which is common baking soda) while under electrolysis. If you have trouble finding sodium carbonate, Walmart carries a product called HTH ph plus. It's used for swimming pool treatments. Usually 15 minutes is about enough time under electrolysis, but I have left some on for over an hour. Just keep an eye on them and stop when the crud is off. After I take the coin out of the electrolysis, I run it under water to get any clinging bits of crud and the sodium carbonate off it and the place it on paper towels to dry. After they're dry I have a block of paraffin wax that I rub the pennies on and then I work the penny between my fingers until the heat melts the wax. Then I use a soft cloth to wipe off the excess wax. That's it for pennies. With the nickels, I use a gum eraser to clean off the discoloration after they come out of the electrolysis bath.

Just be aware that this is extreme cleaning and it will reduce any numismatic value of coins cleaned this way.

That's some really fine looking silver you found! :thumbup:

Nice job on all of that silver! That's a hunt that you won't forget any time soon. Plus, you now have several leads of good places to hunt. Too bad the stagecoach stop didn't pan out. I guess you really don't have anything to complain about after such a good yard.

Nice cool silver! Go back and find the "mason jar" full!

My silver cleans up good........soak in water....rinse.......done.

Cool. Story. Love it. Well done!