Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins in containers ~> What signal will I get?

AVXVA

1st Hypothetical ~ A mason jar full of silver dollar coins with a zinc lid is buried at 12-inches. The jar is buried vertically in the ground. What does my E-Trac say?
The silver dollars alone would l read 1-42/43/44, and the zinc lid alone would read 12-44, what does the E-Trac return?

2nd Hypothetical ~ Same jar, same contents, but the jar is buried horizontally in the ground.

3rd Hypothetical ~ Gold $10.00 Eagles are placed in an iron cooking pot, no lid, 24-inches in the ground. What does my E-Trac say?
The gold coins alone would read 12-38, and the iron pot alone would read in the F-30s, what does the E-Trac return?

4th Hypothetical ~ Gold $10.00 Eagles are placed in a canvas bag, with an iron hammer/hatchet on top, 24-inches in the ground. What does my E-Trac say?

Thanks!

Bury a test jar and try it. The $10 golds may not be handy but you can try using other items
I once found a lid and the intact jar about 8" down but i forgot the number. I saw that and prayed like crazy that the jar would be full of gold and silver. It wasn't

Well they all would say to me "dig" especially if they are deep signals!

I stop digging large objects once the pinpoint depth from my detector hasn't found my target, during my actual dig, once I dig down a 6 inches on a depth indicated from the detector becomes 2X. I hunt public parks, etc, so if there is a chunky jar of coins with a zinc lid? 99% of the time it is junk and I will only make a messy hole. It is a great question to ask though.

I did air test a jar of clad pennies just now, plastic peanut jar. They gave a TID of right near a zinc penny. I do keep zincs, but I have zincs notched out most of the time. Several pounds of pennies in the jug, and logically 90 percent are copper, but it still read close to a zinc.

A jug of mixed nickels, dimes and quarters read like a quarter TID. The readings on clumps of different coins, seem screwy.

`Bury a test jar and try it. The $10 golds may not be handy but you can try using other items...`
Great Suggestion, jughed440, and today I did exactly that! The photo shows an Inglehoffer Horseradish jar, 6 silver dollars, 8 silver half-dollars and 8 silver quarters. (Not pictured, copper pennies which filled the jar completely.)

Part 1 ~ Establishing Baseline Values

The empty jar with lid attached surface tested at 4-24 / 6-24, both ways on Conduct and Ferrous. The empty jar with lid attached buried 9-inches deep tested at 15-24 / 16-24 both ways on Conduct and 8-24 / 11-24 on Ferrous.

A single copper penny surface tested at 12-44. A single silver quarter surface tested at 11-46/47. A single silver half-dollar surface tested at 6/7-45. A single silver dollar surface tested at 1-41/42.

Note this however!
The jar (without lid) full of copper pennies surface tested at 6/7-46. 8 silver quarters (a stack) surface tested at 1-46/47. 8 silver half-dollars (a stack) surface tested at 1-34/38. 6 silver dollars (a stack) surface tested at 1-34/36.

To summarize, as we have discussed before, MASS makes a difference. It causes a shift in both the Conduct and Ferrous values. (1 Penny = 12-44 -> Pennies = 6/7-46) (1 Quarter = 11-46/47 -> 8 Quarters = 1-46/47) (1 Half-dollar = 6/7-45 -> 8 Half-dollars = 1-34/38) (1 Silver dollar = 1-41/42 -> 6 Silver dollars = 1-34/36)

End Part 1.

Attachments

• Silver_Jar1.jpg
    Silver_Jar1.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Great Suggestion, jughed440, and today I did exactly that! The photo shows an Inglehoffer Horseradish jar, six (6) silver dollars, eight :)geek: silver half-dollars and eight :)geek: silver quarters. (Not pictured, copper pennies which filled the jar completely.)

Part 1 ~ Establishing Baseline Values

The empty jar with lid attached surface tested at 4-24 / 6-24, both ways on Conduct and Ferrous. The empty jar with lid attached buried 9-inches deep tested at 15-24 / 16-24 both ways on Conduct and 8-24 / 11-24 on Ferrous.

A single copper penny surface tested at 12-44. A single silver quarter surface tested at 11-46/47. A single silver half-dollar surface tested at 6/7-45. A single silver dollar surface tested at 1-41/42.

Note this however!
The jar (without lid) full of copper pennies surface tested at 6/7-46. Eight :)geek: silver quarters (a stack) surface tested at 1-46/47. Eight :)geek: silver half-dollars (a stack) surface tested at 1-34/38. Six (6) silver dollars (a stack) surface tested at 1-34/36.

To summarize, as we have discussed before, MASS makes a difference. It causes a shift in both the Conduct and Ferrous values. (1 Penny = 12-44 -> Pennies = 6/7-46) (1 Quarter = 11-46/47 -> 8 Quarters = 1-46/47) (1 Half-dollar = 6/7-45 -> 8 Half-dollars = 1-34/38) (1 Silver dollar = 1-41/42 -> 6 Silver dollars = 1-34/36)

End Part 1.
That should be a wakeup call for a lot of people....

Thanks !

Part 2 ~ The Copper Tests

The jar was filled completely with copper pennies (pre-1982), the lid was screwed on, and the jar was buried vertically 9-inches deep in moist, compressed soil.

On Conduct, the E-Trac displayed 9/11-31 both ways. On Ferrous, the E-Trac settled on 9-31/32/33, both ways.

(The empty jar with lid attached buried vertically 9-inches deep tested on Conduct at 15-24 / 16-24 both ways and on Ferrous 8-24 / 11-24 both ways.)

The jar was dug up and reburied horizontally 9-inches deep.

On Conduct, the E-Trac displayed 14-36 one way and 22-28 / 23-32 the other. On Ferrous, the E-Trac read 30-24 one way and 19-36 the other.

Remember, the jar packed full of pennies, *but without the lid* tested 6/7-46.

???

Last edited:
Part 3 ~ The Silver Tests

The jar was filled with 6 Silver dollars and 8 Silver half-dollars, then tested without the lid on the surface. On both Conduct and Ferrous the E-Trac said 1-44.

The lid was screwed on, and the jar was buried vertically 9-inches deep in moist, compressed soil.

On Conduct, 14-47 one way and 12-28 the other. On Ferrous, 8-27 one way and 9-27 the other.

The jar was reburied horizontally at 9-inches.

On Conduct, 35-26 one way and 29-33 the other, with many jump around numbers. On Ferrous, 29-20, 15-08, 19-34, 35-20, it was crazy.

I`m not making any of this up...!

Part 3 ~ The Silver Tests

The jar was filled with 6 Silver dollars and 8 Silver half-dollars, then tested without the lid on the surface. On both Conduct and Ferrous the E-Trac said 1-44.

The lid was screwed on, and the jar was buried vertically 9-inches deep in moist, compressed soil.

On Conduct, 14-47 one way and 12-28 the other. On Ferrous, 8-27 one way and 9-27 the other.

The jar was reburied horizontally at 9-inches.

On Conduct, 35-26 one way and 29-33 the other, with many jump around numbers. On Ferrous, 29-20, 15-08, 19-34, 35-20, it was crazy.

I`m not making any of this up...!
I am thinking halo has a lot to do with the coins id number.....The coin has to contact the soil to halo and has to have spent some time in the soil to "halo".
No such activity happening inside a container just buried. A recently buried test garden has to age and will throw some similar readings on targets id.

I am thinking halo has a lot to do with the coins id number.....The coin has to contact the soil to halo and has to have spent some time in the soil to "halo".
No such activity happening inside a container just buried. A recently buried test garden has to age and will throw some similar readings on targets id.
What halo exists with a sealed, buried jar?

Thanks for posting your test results, AVXVA.
I'm curious to know what the readings would be with a vintage Mason jar and the zinc lid... If I weren't in the middle of moving i would try a similar test with an old Mason jar.

Last edited:
Exactly.

I`m thinking caches and hordes of coins are usually buried in some type of container. People don`t just throw loose money into an open hole, it`s always in a sturdy, durable container like a glass jar or metal pot.
Or an old sock.....yes, a sock....bank money bag ? Like in the old westerns buried loot ?

Last edited:
What many forget.
The steel tin plated jar lids will most often be rusted.
Most rusted thru. The thin tin lids kinda dissolve and crumble.
Both creating their typical Halos.
I carry a 12" probe to locate the tinkle sounds of glass or the rough crunchy sounds passing into a jar of coins. Simple ck. Not a lot of wasted time digging.
I have a 30" T handle probe for deeper targets.
Yes over the years I've found a few that others walked over and somebody gave up on.
Never found a jar on its side yet. Except for dumps. Some silver. Bunch of copper.
Just normal coins though. Nothing special.
I wonder what tobacco tins runs and coffee cans ring up as ?
Their was this old couple that saved their life savings in silver and gold buried on their property.
70yrs Worth. Passed leaving the property in limbo.
No children. Completely alone I believe.
Guy working for the county went detecting. Illegally I might add.
Found a few jars.
Next thing you know the county dug up the entire property creating two lakes.
I still can't get a straight answer as to how much was found. Not even where all the dirt went.
I'll take a pic next time I'm out that way.
Mentor Ohio. Jackson Rd.

Last edited:
Interesting post. I’ve often wondered what a buried cache would sound like and lord knows this country around me has a ton of buried cast iron and car parts, why would I excavate a large open park for a chunk of bolt or iron scrap. I might out in the woods where a long ago cabin or homestead was located, maybe.
Meanwhile back at the beginning of the post I read “clad pennies”, what did Biden do now………

Odanscoils wrote, `What many forget. The steel tin plated jar lids will most often be rusted. Most rusted thru. The thin tin lids kinda dissolve and crumble. Both creating their typical Halos.`

But THAT makes accurately ID`ing the target worse--way worse--times 10 worse. Decomposing sheet metal creates an incredibly strong halo that can be detected from feet away. And it completely masks everything around it. No way silver in a jar will be accurately displayed with a rusting lid on top.

The last year my brother found 80 silver coins , we think they did buried into a metal container who didn¨t see him by everywere but the silver coins give a ferrous signal because some iron oxide spots on them...all from 1932 to 1934 Mexican peso at 4 in. deep.