Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins on edge

Neilo

I did some comparisons to readings on my Etrac to my Explorer. A typical coin reading was Ferrous 12 conductivity 37 on the Etrac. If the coin was deeper the number went to 14 ferrous conductivity 37. But if the coin was still shallow and standing on edge or even slanting the number changed to 14 ferrous conductivity 43. this is the same coin. On the Explorer the number stayed at Ferrous 7 conductivity 26 regardless of the situation at the same depth or even on edge it stayed the same. What this means for Etrac users is they are going to have to do a lot more digging of high sounding rubbish targets just to match the findings of the Explorer. seeya Neilo

Neil, was this test done with the coins in the ground in a seasoned test garden? Or just air testing?

I was detecting a park looking for lost shallow coins, my wife was using my Explorer 2. She has trouble pin pointing her targets, so when she found a coin I would have to pin point it for her with my Etrac. She was only looking for specific $1 and $2 coins so she was concentrating only a couple of numbers on the Explorer.This when I noticed such a big variance in numbers because of coin orientation and depth on the Etrac.Yet the numbers were consistent regardless on the Explorer.This variance on the Etrac numbers means about a third of the coins I want to detect would be in areas I thought was rubbish on the screen. Neilo

The data I gathered for making the coins/gold/silver TID spreadsheets and emulator files showed the same thing. I tested coins flat and on edge and the E-Trac was the only machine whose numbers changed when the coins were on edge. The SE and DFX did not. Larger coins appeared to be most susceptible to this. I'm wondering if the increased resolution of the E-Trac has something to do with it.

Beep

Dave, thats what i was thinking. When i detect here, due to my soil and area 12-40,45 is always pennies. 12-46,47,48 is silver always. Yet in some areas of the country people are getting silver in the 12-40 range. The range has alot to do with how people are able to pull targets in the trash/iron.

Neilo, thanks for that bit of info. Question...did the sound... weather on edge or not sound the same to you as say that size coin always has a high pitch that solid even if it were on edge? In other words with the E trac you would think its rubbish because of the number only or would the sound perk up your attention enough to dig?. Thanks for any reply and good luck to you.

I just dig anything that sounds good I gave up trying to memorize all the places coins come in at on the SF screen. Soil, moisture, minerals, orientation of targets under coil, daylight or dark, park or yard and who's walking by at the time seem to all change the #'s. So what ever sounds good gets to see daylight by me. :wacko:

n/t