Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coke Bottles

Wild Willy

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Is there a site that can tell me the age of Coca Cola bottles? I've been detecting our farm for 48 years and never knew there was an old house site that I can see from my front porch. The site is across a 150 acre field next to a grown-up fence row. I don't think they are older than 60-70 years. One unusual type could probably hold at least 1/2 gal. or more. It has an unusually shaped top part ( the angle). The smaller 5 cent types, in its day, are clear. I will be detecting the field, today, close to the old site and then work into the coke area itself. It's also loaded with other junk in the grown up area. Thanks for looking.

I found a great site just doing a quick search.
From what read, embossed bottles are older that bottles that are painted.
There are numbers that can help tell how old they are.
The contoured bottles have been around since 1916… before that, they were straight sided.
You stated the ones you see are clear… from what I saw, they are from 1961.

The older cokes are called hobble skirt because of their obvious shape , some have patent dates along the side panel. The bigger clear jug type had coca cola syrup in them , kinda like a concentrate , probably used in the old drug store before soda jerks became popular. The clear straight sided ones go back to late 1800's and usually have an embossed name on the side. I found one over 25 years ago just lying on the ground in the woods. I was a member of The Somers antique bottle club at the time , I ended up parting with it for 175 bucks. They can be quite valuable to the right person. Good luck on your detecting adventure.. HH