Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Colonial Copper

Whitetail

Found this copper today about 8" deep. My question is ....I cannot see any detail on this coin. I do not know if it is just too crusted over or if it is just too far gone. I'd like to try and do something to see if there is any detail left? Any suggestions on what to try. I didn't want to just try "something" and ruin an already bad coin.
Thanks for any help you might provide.

You could soak it in olive oil a few weeks and see if loosens up ..might sound crazy but I’ve cleaned a few in that condition with hydrochloric acid.. I dip a small acid brush into the acid and brush those few drop of acid back and forth till the crust dissolves. Often the coin will turn grayish white after a few minutes,at this point if there is any detail left you will see it..as long as you don’t take it down to bare copper there is a chance to see detail..after that I rinse it off ,don’t rub it , after that I soak it in olive oil just to slow the corrosion, if I found any detail on it I then let it sit down in my somewhat damp basement a few weeks or months and then tumble it with quarters and water so only the higher portions of the coin will lighten up an give it some contrast.. at this point you gotta check it often to make sure only the high points are bright and the lower areas stay dark... after that a quick rinse followed by a coating of paste wax... there probably are better ways but this works for me and I only due it on coppers that appear worthless anyway... at your own risk...

There is potential in that coin for some detail I've soaked them in olive oil them for years and slowly they come out

Howdy Whitetail--

Congratulations on digging your LC! Bootyhoundpa gave you a very detailed method of bringing your find back to life. I've never heard that one before. It might be worth a try? Please let us know with before and after pics if you do it? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

It's hard to tell on that one it's a copper though congrats! I have quite a few in that shape to.
Mark

Nice find there. In addition to Bootyhoundpa's informative reply above, even a drop or two of olive oil lightly applied along with how you're angling-holding the coin under natural sunlight (may need a jeweler's loop) may help identify whose reign the coin was minted under (what direction either KG I, II, III is facing) . Here's one historical source to help id your coin.....: https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Br-Copper.intro.html
HH