Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre 7 inch Coil Chatter grabs 3 IH

kozyman

Took the noisy Compadre out today for the first time and dug three IH's 1905, 1902 and an 1898..Although all where surrounded by iron, nails and other trash, it worked very well. I think everyone on here was right about the sensitivity set too high. It did make a lot of noise. I had it set between foil and nickle. I'm very happy with it. I think this will be my field detector and use the Golden and small Compadre in the yards and parks.Also found a nice small hammer stone. Thanks for looking!!

Nice roundup with the three little Indians, and the stone hammer artifact is cool and fits right in. I'd bet they will look nice too after a gentle scrub........Congats

Nice one! I'm still hoping for my first Indian some day but gotta find sites old enough to hold 'em. Did you decide to run the Compadre like it is, adjust the sensitivity down yourself or maybe go back to Tesoro for a once over?

Habanero said:
Nice one! I'm still hoping for my first Indian some day but gotta find sites old enough to hold 'em. Did you decide to run the Compadre like it is, adjust the sensitivity down yourself or maybe go back to Tesoro for a once over?
I ran it like it is, still a lot of chirps but I was in a lot of iron. If I get brave one of these days I'll take it apart and try to turn down the sens.

Finding just one of those Indian Head pennies would make my day. Way to go! :cheers:

tabman

great finds, It dont get that good in my spots, I am happy with Cut nails

If you don't mind me asking,how far down did you find the coins?Thanks

How do you turn down the sensitivity on a Compadre? I just bought one for my son, I have also noticed the chirping

You could probably do a google search to find the posts about it, but considering which unit you have got, the sensitivity pot will be in one of two locations but be sure you are turning the right one! It's super easy to do so have no fear, just don't do anything to damage the internals and don't touch anything else in there either. I also believe you turn left, or counter clockwise to increase and clockwise to decrease sensitivity. Skiwiz tinkers with them some and may even have the diagrams.

Simpsonslammer said:
How do you turn down the sensitivity on a Compadre? I just bought one for my son, I have also noticed the chirping
I didn't turn it down yet...this is an older one with the 7 inch coil..I can put up with the noise. I don't think its that big a deal to turn it down, I just haven't messed with it as of yet..The fields I hunt are full of nail and iron so I get a lot of chatter from that stuff..I just set it between foil and nickle and did anything that has a solid sound to it both ways..Good luck

Sweet finds Kozy, congrats!

Besides setting the sensitivity exactly where you want it, you can power ground balance to make your GB more exact to the ground you are testing it on. Of course that can change as you switch to other locations and you don't want to keep removing the face plate to adjust the pots, so if your ground mineralization varies a lot from place to place you may want to keep a slight positive offset for more stability. Your Compadre will probably have a positive offset if your ground isn't too bad, no doubt intentional by Tesoro to make the preset GB unit functional in as many different areas as possible. But too much of a positive offset will cause a loss of depth, especially with higher conductivity targets.

Here's a thread from 2010 I saved where I asked about and was given diagrams for the 7" Compadre sensitivity pot. Also the 5.75 Compadre. And a tutorial on power balancing the Compadre.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1310101,1313725#msg-1313725

My Amigo II is tinkered with TO MAKE IT CHATTER! DRILLED A HOLE TO GET TO THE SENS POT AND WILL PUT A KNOB ON IT. if its chattering a lot-- ITS HOT! the good signals come out fine and it seems to hit the coins on edge better, and the gold too. i hunt with a digital machine too now with Vdi and i turn the threshold to the audible slight hum and have gotten used to it. its paying off. like grandkids-- a joyfull noise!

LET HER CHATTER! FIND MORE! mho.