Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre 7 Inch Coil Chatter

kozyman

I bought a like new condition Compadre with a 7 inch coil today. It chatters a lot when set below foil anywhere..Do you think it needs to be sent in or is it something I might be able to fix? TIA

It's probably set to run hot. Do you need to run the discrimination below the foil setting?

tabman

I like to run my discrimination as low as possible but this thing seems to chirp a lot at nothing. I have a Golden and another Compadre with the small coil that seems a lot more stable. I dont know if it is in need of repair or like you said set to run hot. Thanks

Is that inside or outside? And does it get chattier more with the coil in the air than it does when the coil is in detecting position and inch or two above the ground?

If it is outside and gets a little quieter when the coil is near the ground, I'd say the sensitivity is maybe just a tad too high. Or ... you may be near some EMI and you might want to try it at a different location before deciding to make a change to it.

I tend to run the Compadre I have just a little chatty. When it goes over a target it locks on the target and the little bit of chatter goes away. When I loan the Compadre out to someone, I turn the sensitivity back to where it is not chatty. One of the guys who borrowed it said that it was still good at picking up the electric fence. He couldn't get near where he thought the last corner marker was because of the fence interference. He found the other markers with the Compadre and measured from the located markers and dug to find the last one.

Similar issue was posted recently. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1896010,1896064#msg-1896064 has a link to where to find the sensitivity pot on the rev 4 version of the circuit card. Yours may be an older version and the sensitivity pot may be in a different place. I think there may be a picture of where to find the sensitivity pot on the older circuit posted in the modification forum. I did not find it in my initial search.

If you don't want to touch the sensitivity setting, call the factory during their normal business hours and explain what it is doing. They will probably have you send it in.
Cheers,
tvr

If you are indoors I would almost guarentee that is the problem. I have read of several others having problems indoors with EMI on the Compadres.

It does it indoors or outdoors. I haven't taken it to the field yet but will tomorrow and see how it goes...thanks for all the response.

I hope it quiets down for you Kozy; congrats on a great little detector with that 7" Compadre. I had one with the 7" and although I did not use it much, I liked it when I did get it out. I remember a little chatter from mine but I adjusted the sensitivity down a bit to tone it down a bit.

I have a 7" coil model with the sense turned up to max internally.
Normally it is very quiet and does not seem to have any EMI problems, but one site in a small park with a public pool near my house I did have quite a bit and still do every time I try to use the Compadre there.
Except for one or two sites where I was directly under some big power lines I have never seen this behavior before.
At this site it was extremely chatty unless I turned the disc up pretty high.
At every other site I have used it there has been absolutely no problem, even at sites where there is so much EMI my F2 is all but unusable.

If this was tested in or around your home there might be something happening there that is just the exact right frequency to bother your Compadre.
Take it to other sites and I am guessing it will be fine.
If this does this at all other sites while swinging over dirt someone probably messed with the sense and turned it up real high which was probably fine for them but in your soil and location was a little too high and it needs to be readjusted just a bit.

By the way I love mine.
Got it from Skiwhiz about 20 months ago for about $130 and it has found me probably 5X's that in clad and jewelry at melt prices...probably more than that, actually.
Tons of fun to use also, of course!

it could be someone has turn the sens adjustment up inside the detector there is a pot inside that you can adjust skiwiz has some pictures of it

Here is the link.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1310101,1313725#msg-1313725

I got one used years ago that chattered. I guessed at the adjustment pot and got it working well.
Found 57 cents with it last week in a local park I've hunted many times before with my Tiger Shark.