Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compare real targets between FBS machine and Equinox.

john4840

Hello, first I want to thank everybody for the great info I been reading in this forum. Has any been able to compare a target found by a Ctx 3030, Etrac, Exployer, or Safari and a Equinox?

FBS or BBS in my opinion is a lot better than the equinox when it comes to deep silver, although equinox is better on gold which is a first for minelab as the FBS and BBS machines are well known to have issues with gold chains.

Obviously they have to be better as all of them cost $1200+ and let's be honest if minelab sold a machine that was better than all the $1000+ oness they make then they would break their own market. Thus you have to expect that while the equinox is okay it's not as amazing as everyone says.

Zinc Penny said:
FBS or BBS in my opinion is a lot better than the equinox when it comes to deep silver, although equinox is better on gold which is a first for minelab as the FBS and BBS machines are well known to have issues with gold chains.

Obviously they have to be better as all of them cost $1200+ and let's be honest if minelab sold a machine that was better than all the $1000+ oness they make then they would break their own market. Thus you have to expect that while the equinox is okay it's not as amazing as everyone says.

Zinc Penny,

Glad you've already got your Equinox and have been able to get out and hunt with it. I'm still waiting for mine and will be able to do some comparisons with my Etrac and Sov GT once it arrives and the snow melts. I've been using Explorers/Etrac since 2000 and have a great appreciation for their ability to find the good stuff. Lots of questions to be answered now that the Equinox is getting out to detectorists.

What are you seeing with the depth capability of your Equinox? How would you say they compare to your other Minelab(s). Are you experiencing the ability to separate (unmask) targets with the Equinox that has been talked about? Sorry, I didn't see which of the FBS and BBS machines that you've been comparing.

Still lot of reports to come back from the field. Looking forward to reading about yours and others field results (and of course pictures).

Thanks,

Rich (Utah)

I agree.... the competition is water and raw gold. Dont think its capable of out performing some of the better machines for dirt. But if it can perform on a beach and in the gold fields it should sell a lot of machines. We asked for a good wader hopefully its got the juice needed for that smaller gold no other machine does in salt water.

Zinc Penny said:

Hahahaha, love it when people opine on equipment theve never used. Get back on the troll bus.

Zinc Penny said:

First of all I am looking for cold hard facts. Not that metal detector x is better because metal detector y cost less. That is not what I am looking for. Just honest head to head reporting. By the way I run a Sovereign XS and had Quattro and Exployer SE Pro. I found many great things with detectors, but I am looking for something new to run.

John4840,I don't have a equinox,but I do have a few minelabs,and probably owned them all at one time or another.
I've been looking real hard at the nox,and zinc penny is right on what he said.That goes for anything,you get what you pay for,not more than you pay for.
Jason in edin,you got alot of growing up to do.I see your posts, actually saw one where you snivled when someone claimed a etrac was as good as a 3030..It's not,as you said on that post,you get what you pay for.
As for anyone being a troll,I would say you Jason are the troll,you find your way into so many threads with uneducated guesses that are totally unfounded..That my good man is a internet troll.

I have the same question re how the Equinox compares to the Etrac/CTX on deep coins. I don't have the Equinox yet, so call me a troll, but based on what users report, it sounds like it probably is not as good in the ID'ing. I am hoping its better abilities in separation make up for it...

Jason in Enid said:

Hahahaha, love it when people opine on equipment theve never used. Get back on the troll bus.

I agree let the trolls have this post...about all it’s going to be good for....

From what I’m seeing and reading so far is that the Equinox is “geared” toward finding the low conductor/small gold that FBS may not find as well. It’s lighter overall and is waterproof. That’s all good!
What is a bit disconcerting is when 3-4 well known “associates” of Minelab come out and say “I’m putting my FBS down in favor of the Equinox”. That’s a paraphrase,but anyone who has seen all of the hoopla know what I’m talking about. If they’re putting down their FBS to hunt gold or chains,that’s what I’m hoping it does! But there is innuendo out there that leans toward the Equinox being “better” PERIOD. If we can all agree that the new machine coupled with some form of FBS would be the 1-2 punch to have,then there wouldn’t be any animosity toward the Equinox. It’s always a case of “my new machine found this” while there hasn’t been enough TIME to know how it performs over TIME.
My “Challenge to the Equinox” will be done as properly and as scientifically as possible with record keeping and an open mind. Targets analyzed,guessed at,readings recorded and then target dug to see which machine was more accurate on a variety of highly conductive targets.
Now...if you are giving up your eTrac because the Equinox is lighter and that’s the sole reason...I can’t really help that besides recommend the harness. But to KNOWINGLY give up “deep coin performance” in favor of swinging less weight,well...that’s silly to me,if you’re a true “deep coin hunter”.
I’m hoping to get on with the Challenge,I think a couple of my contestants dropped off the radar already. Maybe they found out who I am...:lol:

First, allow me to say that I have always agreed, and even adamantly stated that you get what you pay for. However, with the technology of today, and undoubtedly, the much awaited Equinox is just exactly that, a metal detector with perhaps, the technology of today? And, with the fact that the economy is what it is, perhaps, those factors, no longer have the strength as a factor as they did in the days of yester-year? ? ? Hopefully, this statement will cause the intended consideration of my thoughts. My research as most here is learning, the Equinox with the capabilities of scanning multiple bands of kHz, and the pre-set programs are perhaps somewhat 'dummy proof' as the competitors with a higher learning curve?

Very soon, after learning this Equinox is considerably light enough for my wife I will undoubtedly purchase one for her?

With technology moving at the speed it is, I do not believe that there is as much merit to 'you get what you pay for' with a metal detector that obviously has the advanced technology that the Equinox has. Only a 'very few' will scan multiple kHz; therefore, the technology here puts this in a different class. One all by its' self?

Zinc Penny said:

Spoken like someone that’ owns “one that costs more” so “it’s got to be better”. People have had their Equinox’s for what, 2 weeks now at most? How in the hell can you compare a machine that’s been out for 6 years to one that’s been out for 2 weeks?? C’mon man seriously?? As far as “better” we’ll thats relative to hunting style and conditions. I owned the ctx since it came out, loved the machine, but found 2 serious “chinks in the armor” of the CTX and FBS, 1st, not so good in heavily mineralized soil, 2nd not so good in iron carpets found at old homesites. Being a relic hunter and someone who’s loves old coins, almost all my sites have one or both conditions. The Equinox works well in both those areas, so FOR ME, the Equinox is the better machine. Just use what you have and learn it well, if you want the Equinox but it and try it and learn it. Trying to compare apples to bowling balls doesn’t work well. Everyone has different hunting conditions, soil types, desired targets and so on. But I’ll say this, price of machine has nothing to do with it. Tech improves, the GTI 2500 was Garret’s “flagship” high dollar machine for years after the At Pro came out. I’ve owned both machines, still own the AT Pro, it will hunt circles squares and triangles around that GTI 2500 all day everyday and it cost nearly $500 less than the GTI. So price don’t mean squat.

BootyHunter said:

Spoken like someone that’ owns “one that costs more” so “it’s got to be better”. People have had their Equinox’s for what, 2 weeks now at most? How in the hell can you compare a machine that’s been out for 6 years to one that’s been out for 2 weeks?? C’mon man seriously?? As far as “better” we’ll thats relative to hunting style and conditions. I owned the ctx since it came out, loved the machine, but found 2 serious “chinks in the armor” of the CTX and FBS, 1st, not so good in heavily mineralized soil, 2nd not so good in iron carpets found at old homesites. Being a relic hunter and someone who’s loves old coins, almost all my sites have one or both conditions. The Equinox works well in both those areas, so FOR ME, the Equinox is the better machine. Just use what you have and learn it well, if you want the Equinox but it and try it and learn it. Trying to compare apples to bowling balls doesn’t work well. Everyone has different hunting conditions, soil types, desired targets and so on. But I’ll say this, price of machine has nothing to do with it. Tech improves, the GTI 2500 was Garret’s “flagship” high dollar machine for years after the At Pro came out. I’ve owned both machines, still own the AT Pro, it will hunt circles squares and triangles around that GTI 2500 all day everyday and it cost nearly $500 less than the GTI. So price don’t mean squat.

One of the best posts I’ve seen yet regarding machines in general! Know the machine,know what the strong points are and use those to your benefit!
“Apples to bowling balls”....:lol: Yer KILLIN’ me man! :lol:

BootyHunter said:

I agree with everything you said here BootyHunter. I started metal detecting in 1986 and cut my metal detecting teeth on fast whip VLF machine. in 1995 I bought a top of the line brand x with all the bells and whistles, cost $899. Then in 1996 I read about Minelab Sovereign XS and purchased one, cost $600. I learned both machines and did performed head to head comparisons on same real ground targets. When I started to find barber dimes in holes with big rusty nails and brand x couldn't even get peep out of it, I knew the Sovereign was superior to the more expensive brand X. It was simply new technology that out performed not price of the detector. I sold both of my FBS machines because of the fact that it could not handle iron well and still use my 22 year old Sovereign XS I purchased new as my main detector. I was not trying start anything, I wanted to know if anyone did comparison between FBS machine and Equinox on the same real ground target?

Jason in Enid said:

I have tested one.

ill leave it at this, the machine that's better is the one that fits your hunting style, the equinox is not a bad all around machine, its just that a all around machine. For what it is its just like any other mid range detector, one that you can get started with and use in a big variety of areas but it is also not a specialized machine or one that's inherently better at anything, like how FBS machines are known to be better on silver, the equinox will find silver but its not better than say a F75 or any other mid range detector.

Zinc Penny said:
ill leave it at this, the machine that's better is the one that fits your hunting style, the equinox is not a bad all around machine, its just that a all around machine. For what it is its just like any other mid range detector, one that you can get started with and use in a big variety of areas but it is also not a specialized machine or one that's inherently better at anything, like how FBS machines are known to be better on silver, the equinox will find silver but its not better than say a F75 or any other mid range detector.

Without a doubt ZP. I’ve seen videos of it doing a little bit of everything,and I mean EVERYTHING! To have ONE machine that can do ALOT of,or in some cases MOST of,or in a few cases MORE of....what other machines can do....that in and of itself may prove the Equinox to be extraordinary. And you’re right,what YOU find to be the most productive machine for YOUR needs is the sensible one to use. If I could find ultra deep silver swinging a turd on a flagpole,that’s what I would use! I’d just have to live with the stench...

dew,
I’m with you on having a good saltwater wading machine !!.....That’s the beauty of the ocean......you can go back to the same spot and get new finds every day !!!

Zinc Penny said:

Wow and you determined all this with the Equinox being in Users hands for almost 2 full weeks! I’ll decide if the Equinox is better than he Ctx that I ran for 6 years for MYSELF. This Technology is completely new and you don’t know what it may be better at. I already know 2 things it’s better than the CTX at, handling mineralized soil and seeing non-ferrous targets in heavy carpets of iron. And those 2 things alone already make it more useful for my hunting style than the CTX was. Deep silver? We will see, but I think there are many more coins hidden by iron than there are super deep and those deep ones, the odds of those NOT being near a lot of iron are very very slim.

Ps. I wouldn’t write the Equinox off on deep targets just yet, my hunting buddy the other day on our first hunt with the Noxs found a cuff sized flat button a measured 10” deep, measured with the Garrett carrot not a guess, this was in moderately mineralized soil and in a yard with lots of iron signals. The vid was a solid 10 in ground and a solid 10 out of the ground. So it got that tiny target and id’d It correctly at 10”. This was our first hunt with Nox’s, I found 4 silver coins with it. So a lot to be excited about with this detector and we don’t even know it yet.

Zinc Penny said:
I have tested one.

LOL, oh wow! REALLY?! You "tested" one, how impressive. I guess sitting in the drivers seat tells you everything you need to know about a new car too? I'll bet its just like listening to the radio tells you everything about how a band performs in a live concert.

Picking one up and looking at it in a dealers shop tells us nothing.