Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparison videos - always a controversy...

Barry NY

I have read with interest the latest emotional back and forth regarding those videos which compare various machines to each another. I have been present for the shooting of a number of these types of detector comparison videos in the past.

One needs to consider the following questions when drawing any conclusions regarding the results depicted in these videos and how those results will translate to THEIR specific detecting environment:

1. Does the person posting the video make any financial gain from my purchase of any of the products being shown in the video and has that fact been disclosed?
2. What were the ground conditions in which these machines were used: are they similar to mine?
3. How were the machines set up and what type of equipment was utilized? Stock? Aftermarket?
4. Were the videos of actual field detecting or were they done with planted, known objects in specific locations at specific depths just waving the coil over the spot?
5. How will the detector perform in the

Well said! Exactly why I questioned such videos.

My concern was not for the experienced swinger who I'm sure could see the obvious, but for the ones new to detecting who wouldn't understand what was being presented and only saw what the presenter wanted them to see.

I've done over 60 videos myself and I've learned the best thing is to say as little as needed and let the viewer draw their own conclusions LOL.

Well stated Barry, a persons needs in a detector goes far beyond how deep a nickel can be detected in trash.

I agree with your comments about comparison videos, but not so much with your thoughts on what a "go to" detector should be. I think that is dependant on more than which side of the ocean you are on.

To me, these seem to be factors as well:

1) How physically fit are you? Do you struggle to dig, or does it come easy?
2) Why do you detect? For profit or for fun?
3) What do you do with your finds? Sell them or collect them?

For me, detecting is a hobby that gets me outside and moving. I enjoy the physical activity, both swinging the detector and digging. For this hobby I'm fairly young ("only" 50) and I'm in pretty decent shape. I've been detecting since my 20's, so for me it's been decades of relaxing and having a fun time. I notice a lot of emphasis is put on the value of the find. I have everything of value that I've ever found (except clad). Every ring, silver coin, do-dad and trinket is still with me. I can pick them up, look at them, and have fond memories of the time I found them. To me that's worth more than a few bucks I could get for them at a pawn shop or whatever.

I've had a lot of detectors over the years, and a lot with screens. I've come back to the beep and dig because I like the challenge. I like the "mystery" of hearing a good signal, the anticipation in those few moments before I dig, and the thrill, or disappointment with the find. I don't really want to know with certainty what it is I'm about to dig. I know screens are far from accurate, but the emphasis seems to be about the highest accuracy possible. That's not for me. For me the thrill is in the hunt, and a beep-and-dig gives me that thrill.

But that's just me...

Dan

I agree a lot with Dan.. I have had $600.00 all the way up to $1,500.00 detectors. They were all very heavy for me. They all worked great. I enjoyed them. I have had back surgery two times and I have A pin in my detecting elbow.. I am in my 60s now. I have been at this hobby for over 30 years now. Yes I have some very good finds. Some worth a lot of money. I just want to go out for a few hours a day and have a good time. It helps me to relax. Gets my blood pressure down. I like it when I find silver or something gold. I love my very light weight detectors. When I am tired or my arm hurts I quit. I love my BEEP and Dig Tesoros...KEN

I have four TID detectors, each as accurate as I would expect a machine likely to be. I also have a bunch of beep and dig detectors that all have execellent discrimination circuits. In actual results I can do nearly as well with the beep and dig detectors by thumbing the disc knob. Takes a tad bit longer to pretty well determine whether a target is likely trash or coin, but ultimately I can have a good day of detecting regardless of which style I'm swinging, so I'm agreeing with Dan and Ken. In the end, my phylosophy is if YOU like it, use it and have fun. Don't worry over the fact that it's not somone else's choice.
BB

Well first and foremost, I'm not going to buy any machine that I have to send half way around the world to get repaired. Unfortunately in the ground I detect almost every target that's not within a few inches of the surface i.d.'s as iron, so if I want to recover good targets I have to dig iron signals. I can only do that for so long, and I don't see myself buying a pulse machine in the near future. So if I don't make good finds within the first few hours digging every signal, the only way I find good targets after that is if they're shallow or large.