Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compass VLF MAGNUM DISCRIMINATOR

Hybridcruiser

Hi everyone ,

One day I was fishing through my van (which I don't drive anymore) and came across a old compass VLF detector..I must of bought it at a rummage sale back in the late 90's for a few bucks..That's about when I stopped driving my van..I was wondering if anyone had any info on this machine which would be much apprecaited...Enclosed is some pictures of this detector...
thanks for your help in advance!!!
hybridcruiser[attachment 65502 MVC-009S.JPG][attachment 65503 MVC-010S.JPG]

This was the flagship of the Magnum series and ran at 5.73 kHz. (Magnum 7 Auto 3.7 kHz and 10.5 kHz for the 220,320 and 420 models).

It was the top of range because it was the first detector to eliminate ground effects whilst discriminating against junk at a normal sweep speed (ie not the whipping needed with the early SPD machines such as the Red Baron).
'Detects as deep in discrimination as all metal' according to the ads of the time. Hmmm...

It was a machine you had to learn and upset many as they expected to much.

The pluses were a good range of coils from a 3" probe, 8" stock and a 12" deep hunter.
Tone control. Great if you had any hearing loss.
Trash squelch for high rubbish areas.
If you use high levels of discrimination this machine will pick up small gold whilst in pull tab rejection.

On the debit side... Discrim. was limited in depth. Beyond a few inches bad targets would sound good. Nails could be a real problem as they tend to sink below the range of the discrim. circuit.
If trash squelch was used sensitivity would automatically be reduced.
Weight. It seemed really heavy which was down to the Tri-Planner coils they used at the time.

It would be great if you could get it working and see what you think. It is a hard work machine though and needs the right sites ie little deep iron.

Thank you for your reply It was much help full...I haven't tried to fire it up yet...I have to get some batteries for it over the weekend perhaps..I was thinking of making a new coil using the parts out of the old one and making it into A pin pointer so I can get near the iron poles near the swings in the tot lots ..I know allot of goodies are missed there..It would be a project something I have to think over very carefully..
thanks again
Hybridcruiser

Hybridcruiser, try this techique on the Coin Magnum to eliminate the small iron nails! Get an iron nail and using the 10-turn ground control keep adjusting it until the machine nulls out on the iron nail. Use the regular discrimination control to eliminate the normal unwanted non-ferrous targets! I know that this technique works good on the 8 inch coil, not sure about how this would work on the 12 inch coil?...........................HH................Joe

[quote Hybridcruiser]Thank you for your reply It was much help full...I haven't tried to fire it up yet...I have to get some batteries for it over the weekend perhaps..I was thinking of making a new coil using the parts out of the old one and making it into A pin pointer so I can get near the iron poles near the swings in the tot lots ..I know allot of goodies are missed there..It would be a project something I have to think over very carefully..
thanks again
Hybridcruiser[/quote]

I dragged mine out a couple months ago. I, apparently left the old batteries in and of course, a couple leaked. I replaced the battery holders and it's working again. I used to use it a alot about 30 years ago and it's my main detector today (until I figure out which "modern" detector to buy).

I bought one of the original Coin Magnum's back in 1979 or so! And I can tell anyone today that it was considered a major disappointment for the time! ............But It was recieved with much hype! It was one of the few non-motion VLF discriminators that came out on the market. Whites came out with the 6000D and Bounty Hunter came out with the Red Baron both were some of the 1st motion machines but required a fast whipping type action to engage their discrimination circuits! This whipping type motion would either wear one out or one would develope muscles and look like POPEYE!!! Garrett decided not to introduce a motion machine at this time and stayed with their VLF/TR line. Garrett would not release their version of a motion machine till 1982 or so!.......so this was the basic background for 1979..............and many Relic and Deep Coin hunters wanted a deep VLF discriminator but did not like the motion machines of that time! Many bought the Coin Magnum but a lot were also returned. This machine should probably be called a Slow movement detector, best used going very slowly! The biggest gripe was its limited depth in discrimination. A deep nail could register as good because its discrimination circuit was only effective for 2 to 4 inches or so! Although I found a lot of treasures and goodies with mine after about 6 months or so I traded it off!.............For 25 years or so I had many regrets over this..............in this timespan I read many articles about this detector and became convinced that I basicly did not operate it very properly! So I finally re-acquired one and now feel that it is a GREAT DETECTOR. It must be used very slowly and besides using the Discrimination control to reject targets, I also use the GROUND CONTROL to null out any of the small ferrous objects such as small iron nails! This technique seems to work well for me!........................HH..........Joe

[quote Joe(TX)]I bought one of the original Coin Magnum's back in 1979 or so! And I can tell anyone today that it was considered a major disappointment for the time! ............But It was recieved with much hype! It was one of the few non-motion VLF discriminators that came out on the market. Whites came out with the 6000D and Bounty Hunter came out with the Red Baron both were some of the 1st motion machines but required a fast whipping type action to engage their discrimination circuits! This whipping type motion would either wear one out or one would develope muscles and look like POPEYE!!! Garrett decided not to introduce a motion machine at this time and stayed with their VLF/TR line. Garrett would not release their version of a motion machine till 1982 or so!.......so this was the basic background for 1979..............and many Relic and Deep Coin hunters wanted a deep VLF discriminator but did not like the motion machines of that time! Many bought the Coin Magnum but a lot were also returned. This machine should probably be called a Slow movement detector, best used going very slowly! The biggest gripe was its limited depth in discrimination. A deep nail could register as good because its discrimination circuit was only effective for 2 to 4 inches or so! Although I found a lot of treasures and goodies with mine after about 6 months or so I traded it off!.............For 25 years or so I had many regrets over this..............in this timespan I read many articles about this detector and became convinced that I basicly did not operate it very properly! So I finally re-acquired one and now feel that it is a GREAT DETECTOR. It must be used very slowly and besides using the Discrimination control to reject targets, I also use the GROUND CONTROL to null out any of the small ferrous objects such as small iron nails! This technique seems to work well for me!........................HH..........Joe[/quote]

Joe,
How do you set up the ground balance to null out small ferrous objects. I'd like to try that myself?

RWSNC, 1ST turn the audio discrimination off or set the discrimination dial on zero. Not sure where your Ground Control is set, so turn this dial 10 turns in one direction, now reverse the turns for 5 more times! This should set up the Ground Balance knob in about the Neutral position! Go get a regular size iron square nail and place it on the ground in a metals free area! Using the Ground Control knob turn it in 1 complete rotation to the left, and make a pass over the nail. Continue to do this until there is no positive response from the nail. The detector will just null out, that is it will just go quiet over that nail. Basicly the detector is treating the nail as if it is mineralized soil. Keep in mine that my soil here is Mineral Free so I am not sure what reaction it would have in a very mineralized area? This technique works well for me! In fact I set up my machine this way plus I set the discrimination knob to reject pulltabs and basicly just hunt for the deep non-ferrous targets!................................................HH...................Joe

Thanks Joe. Have you noticed if this technique has any affect on depth?

Why don't you just send the Coil back the our Company that's up and running again
and get it repaired that's the proper thing to do and request a manual for that model Cordually Signed Compass Metal Detector National Dealer

[quote Compassgirl]Why don't you just send the Coil back the our Company that's up and running again
and get it repaired that's the proper thing to do and request a manual for that model Cordually Signed Compass Metal Detector National Dealer[/quote]

Where is your company (address, phone number, website)?

Thanks.

Compass Electronic's
397 S.W. Stringtown Rd
Forest Grove Oregon 97116
1-(503) 357-2111
Tuesday - Saturday
Between 1PM to 5PM

Hybridcruiser, try this techique on the Coin Magnum to eliminate the small iron nails! Get an iron nail and using the 10-turn ground control keep adjusting it until the machine nulls out on the iron nail. Use the regular discrimination control to eliminate the normal unwanted non-ferrous targets! I know that this technique works good on the 8 inch coil, not sure about how this would work on the 12 inch coil?...........................HH................Joe
Well John H. and JOE, that does work, and Compass mentioned it. But it is not how one is supposed to use it, But they did say in heavy nail areas, one could "de-TUNE" the unit, and use it in that fashion... I think they meant war battlefield areas myself. I got one, the last of the ones that Compass Electronics UPGRADED. Up-GRADE? Yes, it uses the later coil with the newer coil winding...It might have been upgraded by one of the Compass engineers though, when they came out with the newer coil, with the colored decal on it. They did not make very many of that rare coil though...

Oh, on my name for this machine, I used the nearest I could find to the Compass Electronics green color! Not exact, but close... Very rare coil. I only know of another Coin Magnum, with thise same coil. So there are at least two of these rare coils out there... I was a former Compass dealer, and never saw one of them while I was a dealer!!! But I found this one for sale on the internet. No story on it though... Never knew of the newer Concentric being made for the Coin Magnum. Maybe for some tests though??? Perhaps!
I bought one of the original Coin Magnum's back in 1979 or so! And I can tell anyone today that it was considered a major disappointment for the time! ............But It was recieved with much hype! It was one of the few non-motion VLF discriminators that came out on the market. Whites came out with the 6000D and Bounty Hunter came out with the Red Baron both were some of the 1st motion machines but required a fast whipping type action to engage their discrimination circuits! This whipping type motion would either wear one out or one would develope muscles and look like POPEYE!!! Garrett decided not to introduce a motion machine at this time and stayed with their VLF/TR line. Garrett would not release their version of a motion machine till 1982 or so!.......so this was the basic background for 1979..............and many Relic and Deep Coin hunters wanted a deep VLF discriminator but did not like the motion machines of that time! Many bought the Coin Magnum but a lot were also returned. This machine should probably be called a Slow movement detector, best used going very slowly! The biggest gripe was its limited depth in discrimination. A deep nail could register as good because its discrimination circuit was only effective for 2 to 4 inches or so! Although I found a lot of treasures and goodies with mine after about 6 months or so I traded it off!.............For 25 years or so I had many regrets over this..............in this timespan I read many articles about this detector and became convinced that I basicly did not operate it very properly! So I finally re-acquired one and now feel that it is a GREAT DETECTOR. It must be used very slowly and besides using the Discrimination control to reject targets, I also use the GROUND CONTROL to null out any of the small ferrous objects such as small iron nails! This technique seems to work well for me!........................HH..........Joe
Well, the major disappointment I think was created to destroy the sales and reputation of the NEW COIN MAGNUM. It is not a disappointment for myself you see!But the story of the bad machine, switched the sales into the newer PHASE SHIFT TECHNOLOGY. A pity though! I think the metal detector industry might have gone the other way with improvement after improvement. Instead, it ended the career of the Compass Electronics company slowly but surely!!! Oh, on Garrett model, Charles loved it, but said even his, had some problems, Charles did not want to throw his into the waste can, but the Compass story, made Charles set his aside. Can you prove that story Melbeta??? Yes I can says Melbeta... I am going to post a copy of Charles Garrett's own story, related to the same Garrett metal detector. You see, I was a dealer for Garrett back then as well as a dealer for Compass... So right below is a copy of Garrett's own story of his machine, that he made, to compete with and against the Compass Coin Magnum unit..... How did I get this story? Well Charles sent it to Ray Smith, and Ray Smith was married to Charlies sister, and Ray Smith, before he died from cancer, gave me this copy... Enjoy! When Melbeta says he has it, Melbeta does have it!
Melbeta

Attachments

• My Coin Magnum_6.00x4.50_002a.jpg
    My Coin Magnum_6.00x4.50_002a.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 30
  • Garrett_NewsPaper Story_vs5.PDF
    564.3 KB · Views: 52