Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

completely inaccurate depth

flhunter

My CTX is reading targets at 1/2 inch at 5-6 inches; and targets at 5-6 inches at 6-7 inches.

This is messing me up discriminating trash. In the site that I hunt, everything under 3 inches that I dug is trash. Everything deeper than 3 inches is a good target.

What can I do to fix this?

You cant. The depth readouts are gauged on coin size objects. Anything bigger will read a shallower depth, but will be deeper. Anything smaller will read a deeper depth, but will be shallower. All depth estimating detectors work this way that I know of.

Also, you said your CTX is reading 5-6" targets at 6-7" inches. Sounds accurate to me...

It it double hits its a surface target. In other words if you pass over the target once and it beeps twice, it's shallow.

I don't know this for sure, but it seems a penny will give accurate depth readings usually. So say a penny at 6 inches will indicate 6 inches, wheras a dime say at 6 will read a little deeper, and a quarter at 6" shallower. Something you can do is turn your gain down this will make the deeper targets ring in lower. You can experiment a bit and find a good gain setting you like. Some of the White's V3i users use the modulation setting to do this.

I have seen an inaccurate target deep in my XS, SE, and Etrac. Many pennies would show 3-4 inch, but when dug would be in the grass roots. This has also frustrated me when trying to dig 4 inch and deeper. I hoped each new machine would improve on depth accuracy, but appears not.

Mine does this some with the 17" coil. It is almost always right on target with the stock or the 6 in coil...

\"Dr.Tones\" said:
It it double hits its a surface target. In other words if you pass over the target once and it beeps twice, it's shallow.

I double beep for long objects too correct?

Power- yes long objects can creat a double hit. With long or large objects that double hit, try hitting the target at a 90 degree angle also, swing your coil over the target repeatedly while slowly lifting your coil off the ground. This should give you a decent idea of the size.

The depth is always off for me. Even coin like targets it usually always says that they are deeper than they really are. It would be nice to see an upgrade to where you could change the size of the targets the depth readout is gauged for.

Don't forget to add the distance between the coil and the ground. I know that in really thick grass mats, my coil can still be 3" above the ground, so when it says 4", the target is really just an inch deep.

GpSnoopy said:
Don't forget to add the distance between the coil and the ground. I know that in really thick grass mats, my coil can still be 3" above the ground, so when it says 4", the target is really just an inch deep.

Yeah, I've noted that. Typically I have noticed the depth inaccuracy when swinging like an inch off the ground then when noticing it sweep within a centimeter or directly on the ground or plug. It tends to be a couple inches off on penny like targets even when pinpointing at the 90 degree cross sections. Overall though I can't complain about this to much though since even if it's off I end up finding it anyway. lol

Oh, and the 4-5" readouts seem to always be 3-5" under the ground. Pretty accurate in that range if you ask me.

GpSnoopy said:

Very true. The three main factors in an inaccurate target depth is target size, coil not centered over target, and coil not being up tight against the ground. Remeber that on turf, especially thick turf, even when the coil is grounded there is still space between the coil and the ground.

Dave

Here is one that happen to me the other day.I had been finding wheats (4) at 9 to 10" and a 43 nickel at about the same depth when I got a good 12-36/37 signal at 4".It sounded so goo and shallow that I decided to dig it. Dug a 6" plug but found nothing and could not get a signal with my pro pointer at all. Grabed the CTX and still had a good signal right in the center of the hole.Dug out another two inches and the same thing.Kept doing this every two inches back and forth using the CTX and pointer untill I got to 13" or so and I finally got a signal with the pro pointer right in the bottom of the hole. Dug down another 2" and found what I first thought was some type of copper coin.Larger than a quarter but a little smaller than a half dollar.

The target was 15-16" deep but the CTX never read over 4".
Back home I started testing and found the the depth maxed out at 12" on the CTX and at around 13" or so it started reverting back to single digits. More testing needs done but it appears the after 12" the machine reverts back to single digits and starts over again. 12+4 would be awful close to that targets depth.
Anyone else ever have that happen to them.

I would assume from this that some holes that appear to be empty after digging to indicated depth puls some may actually be targets that are deeper than 12".

Just piddling

j piddle said:
Here is one that happen to me the other day.I had been finding wheats (4) at 9 to 10" and a 43 nickel at about the same depth when I got a good 12-36/37 signal at 4".It sounded so goo and shallow that I decided to dig it. Dug a 6" plug but found nothing and could not get a signal with my pro pointer at all. Grabed the CTX and still had a good signal right in the center of the hole.Dug out another two inches and the same thing.Kept doing this every two inches back and forth using the CTX and pointer untill I got to 13" or so and I finally got a signal with the pro pointer right in the bottom of the hole. Dug down another 2" and found what I first thought was some type of copper coin.Larger than a quarter but a little smaller than a half dollar.

The target was 15-16" deep but the CTX never read over 4".
Back home I started testing and found the the depth maxed out at 12" on the CTX and at around 13" or so it started reverting back to single digits. More testing needs done but it appears the after 12" the machine reverts back to single digits and starts over again. 12+4 would be awful close to that targets depth.
Anyone else ever have that happen to them.

I would assume from this that some holes that appear to be empty after digging to indicated depth puls some may actually be targets that are deeper than 12".

Just piddling

That depth seems to be a daydream to me since after measuring through testing, I have only come up with 9-10" on half dollars. Even then they are just whispers. This was done in moderately mineralized ground with no iron present Fe/Coin Combined with Sensitivity deviated between Auto +3 25 readout and Manual 25-30 with auto ground balancing vs Manual ground balancing. Threshold barely humming with me changing it to below humming to above humming (18-20) with it to see if it read any deeper, Gain 24, volume 20, Threshold pitch like 17, and Sweep speed medium, slow, to very slow. Really I can't see where it can read any deeper than that. Seems 7" is max for pennies and dimes. 8" is max for quarters. 9-10" max for half dollars. Remember these were some thorough tests I did in moderately mineralized ground. All results were measured with a measuring tape from the top being the roots of the grass to the bottom being the depth of the coin. If there is a way to get deeper Let me know please. I would rather hear a 12"/12+1 through 12+4 signal loud beep instead of not hearing it at all although that would make me think it might be a huge piece of metal, so I see your problem there.

j piddle,

What was it?

"Dug down another 2" and found what I first thought was some type of copper coin.Larger than a quarter but a little smaller than a half dollar."