Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Concentric coils…

thump7

So, back when the Anfibio was all the rave, there was demand for a concentric coil to be made for it. Nokta responded and brought us the 9.5” concentric.

I was one of the first to buy one. Actually, that coil was the selling point when I bought the machine. I will hardly use anything but a concentric because they work so much better in iron infested sites, as well as being great discriminating coils for park hunting.

If Nokta produced a 9.5” or 10” elliptical concentric coil for the Legend, I would be all over it. I think it would turn the legend into a new kind of beast when it comes to park hunting.

Anyone else partial toward concentric coils? I’d like to hear your thoughts… and to be totally honest, I’d really hope to see enough interest in the idea again, for Nokta to justify putting together a nice park coil for this machine. I feel from past experience, a 10” elliptical, concentric would be just that coil.

Anyways, I’ll quit rambling, I’d like to hear your thoughts and experiences on the subject. Thanks for reading.

I was into the concentric coil with Tesoro detectors but everything i see and read the DD is the way to go especially on the beaches wet or dry.
I personally don’t see how the concentric has more advantages then a DD but I’m no electrical engineer.
The 6” coil for the legend has more depth than I could imagine for that size and was surprising. Almost rivals the 11”.
I also can’t see if having the 6” that the 5.5x9 is really advantageous other than just covering very slightly more ground but losing separation in trashy areas.
Unless you ditch the 11” and just use the 5.5x9”and 6” respectively.jmo

@Nokta Detectors stated earlier that they were open to producing some Concentric coils for The Legend. A LG 23C 9” & a LG 18C 7” have been suggested. I hope they will make both and a 5” one also. I have both 9&7” for the Anfibio Multi and they are superb in trash, especially iron trash. I like the DDs just fine but the Concentric configuration adds strengths that are unique. I think they would further set The Legend above anything else available.

I was into the concentric coil with Tesoro detectors but everything i see and read the DD is the way to go especially on the beaches wet or dry.
I personally don’t see how the concentric has more advantages then a DD but I’m no electrical engineer.
The 6” coil for the legend has more depth than I could imagine for that size and was surprising. Almost rivals the 11”.
I also can’t see if having the 6” that the 5.5x9 is really advantageous other than just covering very slightly more ground but losing separation in trashy areas.
Unless you ditch the 11” and just use the 5.5x9”and 6” respectively.jmo

I had multiple Tesoros as well. I understand they were best know for iron see-through, and the ability to isolate good targets in trash infested sites.
Where I found them most useful for the style of detecting I do, was their ability to identify bottle caps, but still find clad coins and other good targets, while keeping discrimination low at foil.
I found on the Anfibio, I could do a similar thing - but only with concentric coils.

I had multiple Tesoros as well. I understand they were best know for iron see-through, and the ability to isolate good targets in trash infested sites.
Where I found them most useful for the style of detecting I do, was their ability to identify bottle caps, but still find clad coins and other good targets, while keeping discrimination low at foil.
I found on the Anfibio, I could do a similar thing - but only with concentric coils.
That’s good to know. Be interesting to see.

@Nokta Detectors stated earlier that they were open to producing some Concentric coils for The Legend. A LG 23C 9” & a LG 18C 7” have been suggested. I hope they will make both and a 5” one also. I have both 9&7” for the Anfibio Multi and they are superb in trash, especially iron trash. I like the DDs just fine but the Concentric configuration adds strengths that are unique. I think they would further set The Legend above anything else available.
So what unique strengths did you find with the concentric? The only thing i found was little more depth in my very mild soil but from what I understood the field at the deepest point was very small like a V shape making it easy to miss targets at that extreme point. Possibly why it was good in trash because of the very narrow point at depth and not much detection field around the point ?
Kind of like cutting through the ground with a stick vs a broom. I could be wrong

Gents I have both the 2.68 simplex and the new 2.78 simplex.The 2.68 simplex has the NEL 9.5"x 5.5"d.d. coil and its outstanding for all around hunting.I used the 2.78 stock coil for deep hunting at my age forget anything deeper than 12".After 12 major surgeries back,neck,and right shoulder replacement its nearly all over for me.I am starting to sell what I am not using like a New "CORS" 9.5''X 5.5" D.D. coil for fishers F-75/F-70/ Tek. patriot for $89 shipped.

Attachments

• P4140502.JPG
    P4140502.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 79
20-30 years ago the market was basically entirely concentric coils. There is a reason everyone moved to DD style coils. The only real advantage concentric has is absolute depth at the focal point, but to get that you would need to overlap a crazy amount (like moving forward 2 inches at a time on a 10" coil).

Separation is better on two axis, but this is easily overcome by sweeping your DD coil over your target at 90 degrees.

20-30 years ago the market was basically entirely concentric coils. There is a reason everyone moved to DD style coils. The only real advantage concentric has is absolute depth at the focal point, but to get that you would need to overlap a crazy amount (like moving forward 2 inches at a time on a 10" coil).

Separation is better on two axis, but this is easily overcome by sweeping your DD coil over your target at 90 degrees.
That was exactly my point way i look at it anyway. Some might disagree

For me, Concentric coils give better TID & audio nuances. They false less in Iron trash too. It paints a target differently than a DD. The difference may be subtle to most.

Alright, one of the things I did not mention because it really isn’t an issue for you U.S. guys, is Canadian or European Clad coins. DD coils hate them, and the Legend is no exception. Only a concentric coil can see the difference between a nail, bottle cap, and a clad coin. Don’t laugh, I’m not rich, and it’s the clad that often pays the gas and helps justify driving to and from detecting sites.
Concentric coils give a more complete target ID. As far discrimination and detecting the top 6” of dirt goes, any new machine out there will still be hard pressed to stay with many of the older units, or even the not so old compadre for that matter. When it comes to clean discrimination - especially in trashy areas, concentric coils work, and they can work extremely well.

Today it’s all about screens and a lot of the rest is hype. Few machines I’ve used in the past years will ever stay with an old Vaquero I used to own, lol… however, multi frequency and the ability to detect in extreme mineralization with it, will always be a game changer.

Nokta, plz bring us a concentric. If I could choose a coil, I’d want a 5.5x9.5 elliptical concentric. Thanks if your listening.

My perfect combination is to have a Legend and a Vaquero.
I would rather put the money towards a Vaquero than a concentric coil for the Legend.
I kick myself for selling it and would buy one for sure if they still made and sold them.
As for clad i have no interest in it and if i knew the screen and numbers were absolutely accurate i would leave it for the next person.
The only reason i end up with clad is in hopes of finding something else.
Maybe a few days of hunting worth could buy me a soda here, hardly worth the effort especially if it’s not what im looking for. I actually find a lot
of the junk more fascinating. Thats just me though. Clad is right there with pulltabs lol

You wouldn't have a Compadre or Mojave you'd be willing to part with ?

For me, Concentric coils give better TID & audio nuances. They false less in Iron trash too. It paints a target differently than a DD. The difference may be subtle to most.
On my oll MXT the concentric 950 coil seemed to work best. The 5×9 DD not so much.
Always found more with 950.
Though the little hockey puck 5" DD was fabulous in the trash. And still rather deep.

My perfect combination is to have a Legend and a Vaquero.
I would rather put the money towards a Vaquero than a concentric coil for the Legend.
I kick myself for selling it and would buy one for sure if they still made and sold them.
As for clad i have no interest in it and if i knew the screen and numbers were absolutely accurate i would leave it for the next person.
The only reason i end up with clad is in hopes of finding something else.
Maybe a few days of hunting worth could buy me a soda here, hardly worth the effort especially if it’s not what im looking for. I actually find a lot
of the junk more fascinating. Thats just me though. Clad is right there with pulltabs lol
Many of my best finds were made with a vaquero. A friend with a Tejon was as amazed as I was to see the Tejon could not stay with the Vaquero. The vaquero was hitting deep, small targets that the Tejon just could not hear. it wasn’t by much, but enough to bring up targets on an old site from depths I won’t specify, lol.
I regret selling the one I had too, but I do like a Target ID machine.