Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Concentric Search Coil

coin hunter

Has anyone use the 9x12" concentric search coil that is an option for the AT Pro. Garretts advertizes that it goes deeper that any other coil that is available for the AT PRO but doesn't say what the trade off is using the DD coil. Any ideas.

I would only use it in open and clean sites, as it is gonna be a bear to swing in brush or tall grass, and drive you nuts in trash...

HH,

I have the 9X12 concentric and like it a lot. It is just a tad heavier than the stock DD coil but after the first hunt I quickly got used to it. I find I can swing it just as long as the DD. The concentric is not going to separate targets in trashy areas like the DD will but that is the nature of the two types of coils. I have been using the concentric for about a month now and have not gone back to the stock DD yet. Pinpointing off of the tip of the inner coil is very fast and accurate.

Jerry

DD coils love bottlecaps/iron. Especially new one's like from Budweiser. The machine will probably swear those Bud's are quarters. Almost impossible to determine some of these newer BC's are bottlecaps. The older bottlecaps can be determined as BC's by sweeping the heel of the DD coil over them. They signal starts to breakup and the ID numbers bounce into the trash range. Where as a coin will stay fairly stable in audio & ID with the heel method. The DD coil will probably net you about 1" extra depth if you have heavily mineralized soil, over a concentric. If soil is low/medium mineralization, the depth gain does not occur. The DD coil, if properly engineered (not all DD coils are) will also give better target seperation over a concentric. The concentrics do a much better job disc'ing out bottlecaps/iron.
Also, DD coils can give inaccurate target ID's with the first 3 " from the coil bottom, so on surface items (strong signals) you may have to raise the coils to offset this phenomena. All DD coils suffer from this, as it is a by-product of the DD design.
The big advantages to DD are in heavily mineralized soil and target seperation.

Thanks Guys no point in losing depth. Just wasn't sure if Garrett meant it went deeper than the stock DD coil. I have a 2500 and have used that big 12" coil. I now have a DD on the 2500. Looking to buy AT Pro in the spring. Just wanted to give Garrett a little more time to get the last remaining bugs out of the AT if there is any left or any additional changes. Then I'm going for it.

I use it all the time on my AT Pro. It pinpoints better then the "DD" and might get better depth because it is larger then the stock 8.5 x 11. The trade off is the better ability of the DD coil to separate a good target from a bad in trashy places. Also, in mineralized soil, the DD will punch deeper then the large concentric coil.