Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:confused: Already have a fors relic and racer 2. Do I need the impact?

and also having a good assortment of functional search coils for the types of hunting you do is what is really most important.

Cal_Cobra said:
The 5x10 DD works great on the Racer2 (would love to have that coil on the Impact!).
The 'mid-sized' coils are favorites of mine when working low-to moderate littered sites, and especially when mainly dealing with iron nails at old sites that lack a heavy concentration of rusty tin ... man worst enemy. :ranting: The Makro Racer series are certainly wonderful models, but for several reasons I keep them in my 'Specialty Team' and rely on only my six Nokta models in my Regular-Use Detector Team. Those for both my urban Coin Hunting and where I spend most of my search time, out Relic Hunting very challenging sites.

Part of it is also due to health reasons as my bad back and knee and mobility issues favor the better weight and balance of my Nokta FORS Relic with the 5½X10 Concentric coil over the Racer/Racer 2 with the 5½X10 DD. That allows me to hunt longer without fatigue. I keep a round 5+" DD on my main-use Relic. I have two FORS CoRe that sport the 'OOR' coil and standard 7X11 DD for more open-area searches.

My main-use Impact 'test' model has the round 5+" DD mounted for the nasty old ghost towns and such that abound in dense iron debris, and my production Impact has the new 5X9½ open-frame DD mounted, and for sparse-to-moderate littered sites I absolutely love this coil! I know it will see more day-to-day use than the standard 7X11 or small elliptical 4X7½ DD, although they will get their turn to enjoy some field time now and then.

Cal_Cobra said:
The Racer2 is a great detector in my humble opinion, it's deep, it's fast, world class unmasking, wide array of factory and aftermarket coils, advanced features like adjustable iron audio, adjustable audio tones, adjustable tone break, ground tracking, very functional salt water beach mode, etc.
Field performance is what drew me to the Nokta side back in January of 2015 simply because it performed so well. Unmasking, depth, balance, versatility, etc. The original Racer and Racer 2 also fall into the same category of being highly versatile detector models, as does the Nokta FORS Relic. All of them are excellent, all-around performing models.

Cal_Cobra said:
That said, the biggest additional feature I wished the R2 had, was adjustable frequencies. For a few reasons, there are places I hunt EMI infested so bad most detectors struggle, even if operator doesn't realize it. Ability to do a major frequency jump, not a minute frequency "shift", opens up new opportunities.
Many detectors that operate in roughly the 13 kHz to 15 kHz frequency range can have some EMI problems that are often ignored when using a higher or lower frequency. I will say I had more EMI 'noise' in many locations with the 14 kHz Racer series than I did with the 15 kHz FORS CoRe, but the 19 kHz FORS Relic was a great addition to my detector battery and gave me that advantage to grab when EMI was a challenge for other units.

Cal_Cobra said:
Ground conditions can make a huge difference in which operating frequency will be optimal. I had a site that gave my R2 and F75 LTD2 fits, alkali soil was the culprit, and lower to mid frequency machines had fits, severely limiting depth and wasting time chasing ghost signals. When I switched to 20Khz with the 7.5" x 4" on it ran smooth.
Likewise, the 19 kHz also helped save-the-day when I encountered 'different' ground mineral challenges and some was the wetted alkaline soils I often work. Plus it gives the 'edge' when trying to unmask some lower to mid-range conductive targets in dense iron debris.

Cal_Cobra said:
So while the Racer2 is a very capable machine, the Impact expands upon those capabilities, offering new tools to combat every conceivable hunting environment and detecting conditions with it's expanded and enhanced feature set.
So for ME, using the Racer 2 or FORS CoRe and complementing them with the 19 kHz FORS Relic provided me with a lot of improved versatility at-hand.

In Stoof's case he already has those bases covered if he owns a 14 kHz Racer 2 and 19 kHz Nokta FORS Relic and has the search coil set to make everything versatile. No real need to add an Impact just for the few things just discussed. So .... does he NEED to get an Impact? Not really as long as he knows his Racer 2 and Relic well and grabs the right tool for the sites he plans to encounter.

That said, while he doesn't NEED an Impact, he might just WANT an Impact. I am not parting with my 2-CoRe's or 2 Relics as they have served and will continue to serve me well in many applications where I like to hunt. With that statement out-of-the-way I will have to add that I DO like my two Impacts and while my CoRe and Relic units will continue to travel with me and serve me well, I seem to be grabbing an Impact much more often. :detecting:

It is only the clear and hot summer days that are limiting my enjoyment afield right now and I have to take advantage of hunting early and late to avoid the high heat. Matter of fact, I am running late right now and will be out-the-door in 5 minutes, Impact in-hand and off for an hour or two of enjoyment.

Monte

Thanks monte.!
Yeah I figured I was pretty well set but there's always that voice saying I NEED it when really I WANT it lol.
I hope to get more acquainted with the 5.5x10 concentric I have for my relic. Bought it earlier this year but haven't had a chance to properly test it out.
I'm sure I'll end up with the i.oact, by I think I'm good with what I have. Plus it's not a cheap detector. Not like picking up another tesoro compadre lol.

I'll see how this season turns out and maybe pick one up later this year or early next year if I get the itch too bad.

Thanks again for your post!!

I'm kind of in the same boat sorta, just ordered a slightly used racer 2 but still thinking of getting the Impact.....decisions decisions

dbado1 said:
Stefan,
Did you read Keith Southern's new post on the Impact at Tom Dankowski's site? It may just push you over the edge.

Dean

Is this the thread?

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,121670

Wow.
Well that's not new. It's from February, but nice write-up.
Like Monte, I trust Keith's opinions on these machines. His and scannerguy videos were what turned me on to my relic. I only wish that scannerguy had a relic to test in his garden and an impact.... Hint hint nokta....
He loves his fors core and I'm really interested to see how the relic and impact do. He's tested so many machines. But his recovery speed video sealed the deal on me getting a fors machine.

Switchable frequencies and the four specialty A/M / Non-Motion modes all have a ton of potential that none of the earlier models have. A lot of the times I've been successful in the field--its been by being versatile. The impact lets you do a lot of things with one machine. Lot of fun to learn too.
cjc