Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering V3i

NormS

I currently have an At Pro and an ACE 250. My grandson uses the 250 and I use the ATP. The ATP is a coin hog. Since the 20Th of Sept I have found over $200 in clad with my ATP. In the last two outings i have found $24 in clad and 3 rings.

I can't say I have mastered my ATP but I do well with it. Especially since I been hitting parks that are well hunted lately and still pick $5 to $13 every time I go out. I even hunted with a guy that had a CTX3030 and did better than him but that is subjective as heck. I will add he really knew his CTX3030. I didn't hit the deep signals like he did so therefore I covered more ground than he did. While he was digging i was plucking another coin or two.

I am wanting a more challenging detector and have been reading a lot about the V3i and it looks like the V3i will be my detector of choice. I love the learning curve of a detector because the better you get the better you like what you bought. I am not interested in a head to head comparison because again that is subjective to the person comparing two detectors. I have seen too many videos and posts from guys comparing two detectors and 90% of the time I can tell the person is biased toward one detector or the other.

Buying another detector can make a stable marriage a bit shaky for awhile. The question is why and what's wrong with the other one when you seem to find so much. My stock answer is why do you have 17 purses and 50 pairs of shoes.

Aside from all of that where is the best place to buy one. Whites?, Kellyco? or maybe an authorized Whites dealer like a hobby shop. I won't do ebay or a used one. Is the V3i worth more than 2 times as much as my ATP?

I know one has to dig lots of trash to find jewelry and rings. What i am asking is if it is a tab and nothing else are you pretty sure it's a tab before you dig or do rings and other jewelry seem to stand out even though it rings up or the vdi looks like a tab.

Do coins jump out as coins in really trashy parks. I know of a park that has 30+ years of pull tabs, bottle caps and just plain junk from people drinking beer while bbq's and watching kids play basketball. I dug over 50 tabs one day in a 10'x15' area and haven't been back. The park is over 70 years old so I know there has to be clad and silver there or at least one would think there is.

I guess i am trying to confirm I am making the right choice. It really attracts me because of the steep learning curve to effectively use it.

As long as you keep that thought in mind.. "You'll love the V3i" Will it be the "perfect" detector..NO ...Can you "perfect" the use of the V3i..YES !!

I was hoping to hear that.

NormS said:
It really attracts me because of the steep learning curve to effectively use it.

I will let other answer the questions, I just wanted to point out that your last statement is not correct. The V3i right out of the box using the factory programs is VERY effective and that is what many of us use, or slightly altered. There is some learning involved, as with most programmable detectors, to get it tweaked for your ground and usage. I would say the steep learning curve is in mastering the V3i of which most of the learning does not affect the performance, just your personal preferences of how the V3i works.

NormS said:
Aside from all of that where is the best place to buy one. Whites?, Kellyco? or maybe an authorized Whites dealer like a hobby shop. I won't do ebay or a used one. Is the V3i worth more than 2 times as much as my ATP? An authorized dealer is best if he is close to you and will offer help when needed. Many good dealers cab give you a good price. Most hobby shops suck as far as getting technical help.

I know one has to dig lots of trash to find jewelry and rings. What i am asking is if it is a tab and nothing else are you pretty sure it's a tab before you dig or do rings and other jewelry seem to stand out even though it rings up or the vdi looks like a tab. No detector, no matter how advanced or expensive, can tell a ring from a tab that has the same VDI as tab. The V3i will do much better at finding gold then you buddy's Minelab.

Do coins jump out as coins in really trashy parks. I know of a park that has 30+ years of pull tabs, bottle caps and just plain junk from people drinking beer while bbq's and watching kids play basketball. I dug over 50 tabs one day in a 10'x15' area and haven't been back. The park is over 70 years old so I know there has to be clad and silver there or at least one would think there is. If you are only looking for coins you will never have to dig a tab or cap. As with any detector if you want gold you will have to dig all targets foil through zinc. With the adjustable tones, recovery, and discrimination coins can be made to jump out of the trash.

I guess i am trying to confirm I am making the right choice. It really attracts me because of the steep learning curve to effectively use it.
It is your choice.

I appreciate your reply. I like to try and get the most out of my detectors so mastering it for me is constantly learning. For me if a stock program is good then tweaking a program maybe better. I agree about the hobby shops. I feel confident I can get all the tech info I want on here. I also feel the V3i will be better than an etrac or ctx3030. The only authorized dealers in my area which is S. IL are a cpl coin shops and one is a hobby shop. I am wanting to start looking for more jewelry and I do realize that means lots of tabs. I guess i was wondering of the V3i gave you a better gut feeling whether you were digging a tab or gold.

I am about 99% sure i will pop for a V3i but will probably whit until early spring. I will hunt any day I can while the weather permits but I will be gone most of Jan and all of Feb. So I am thinking march or April I will buy one. Plenty of time to keep me excited. I probably have over 100 hours of research trying to decide which detector and I always come back to the V3i. I did the same when I bought my ATP. I wanted to step up from my ace 250 but I didn't want something so technical I would get frustrated with with. Now that i understand more about detectors I am ready for the technical challenge.

I guess my referring to the steep learning curve is trying to master it. I like the right out of the box readiness to get used to it but since I am one to tinker with things I like the ability to tweak it.

" I guess i was wondering of the V3i gave you a better gut feeling whether you were digging a tab or gold. "

I have heard many people give their theories but I really believe it is wishful thinking and again this applies to ALL detectors. The day a detector comes out that says this is gold we will all have one. The v3i is very sensitive to gold and small gold. With a small coil it will do a super job in trash filled parks. I usually find that discrimination and recovery is more important than depth when finding gold.

Thanks to everyone. I didn't expect this to be a super gold sniper or as Rob (IL) puts it or everyone would have one. If it could sort gold from trash 100% of the time there would be a pre programmed setting for it. I think I like to versatility and the options one has with it.

Good luck with the V3i, you will enjoy it. :clapping: If you need help just ask. We have learned some good tips from many expert users. The v3i does it all. Some detectors may do one specific job better but fall short in the rest of the situations.

I want the V3i because it can do everything. I know this is what i will buy. I know it will be hard for me to wait until spring to buy it. I been researching the V3i since Sept and I wish i would have bit the bullet and bought it back then but when I buy something I don't want any doubts or surprises in my purchase. I did the same with my ATP and not one bit sorry I bought it. Now it's time to move up and on to new and better detector. Again I thank everyone for their input.

problem is to many things to adjust but would be nice to find someone to spend a day with me to get some settings and instruction..rading the manual is also confusing......my first detector and havent a clue to as what im doing but digging trash and hoping to find something neat..very big learning curve...but sure beats a ace 250 ...good machine but not for serious use to me..gregg

I will contine to dispute that the V3i is too complicated. Using a stock program and adjusting gains and filter and the V3i will compete with the best detectors. It will do super as a turn on and go detector. Just because the V3i has so many adjustments doesn't mean you have to use all of them to be successful.

Learn the performance adjustments. Read some of the links.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1788607

I have made my mind up I am definitely purchasing a V3i when I get home from vacation in March. I talked to a guy that had one and he loved it. he told me to start with stock programs then graduate to custom programs. He has several detectors and loved the V3i the most and told me he only sold it because he needed the money and knew the resale was great on it but hated to part with it.

A cpl things sold me on it and one was there are very few used one available so that means those that have them don't want to part with them. I have read very few negative reviews other than those preferring a different brand of detector. The last one is a guy that competed with another guy that had another brand xxx3030. They both hunted identical seeded plots and he beast the 3030 buy 3 targets.

I just purchased a V3i this week and can tell you that it is a very fun and interesting detector, unfortunately I have no time in the field, however I have no doubts that it will do very well. As to buying one, I bought a factory certified unit which comes checked out by Whites techs with a full factory warranty for about what a older used V3i sells for online but the great thing I found out was most of the units are actually new units or dealer demo's. I was expecting to receive a used detector but when I opened the box it was what appears to be a new machine with all new sealed accessories, so basically I saved about $300 on a new detector. I can't speak for every certified detector but I was very happy with mine and it might be worth looking into if you're looking to save some money but get the benefits of a new detector.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger, I could not find a used or refurbished V3i so I am going with a new one. I prefer new anyway. I bought a factory refurbished laptop once and there were problems i didn't notice for a cpl weeks so i had to send it back and wait three weeks for it.

My budget won't allow it until after the 1st of the year.

If you can afford a new one go for it. I understand about the refurbished item's, I bought a laptop from HP and it was a huge letdown, however I do trust Whites, as they are very good with their products and issues with them. I believe White's does offer their certified items in A,B, or C grade with A being brand new but returned items, it appears that's what I received. I think I was quoted at $1250 for a new one, but for $200 less I decided to go factory certified one since I'm on a budget. :)

Good for you I am glad you got a great deal. I called Whites and they didn't know of any dealers that had any and they didn't either. I was more concerned about buying from a private owner. I won't buy anything in ebay anymore so it's new or nothing.

I have been reading about the V3i for over 2 months and the V3i has the fewest negative reviews of any detector and what sold me even more was the fact that hardly any are for sale. I don't believe much in side by side comparisons because in most cases whomever is doing the comparison is leaning one way or another. I talked to many owners that own more than one higher end detector and they all said the V3i was their detector of choice. One had the eTrac, CTX3030 and the V3i. He has been detecting since 1979 and he said they all have their advantages but the V3i is the closest to a complete package as you can get.

What i learned about any detector is even if they say it's ready to use you must learn the detector before you have the success you hope to have with it. I probably have over 700 hours of detecting in the past two years and I would say it took me 200 hours on each detector I have to get the most out of it. I read every tip and everything I can get my hands on about what I am using and I constantly try new things even if not successful at 1st I go back another time and try again.

I don't blame you, with all the fakes coming out of China I'd avoid E-bay. Always best to use a dealer, especially nowadays. The only other competition I seen for the V3i while researching it was the CTX3030 and E-trac, they both look like great machines but I've owned 2 Explorers, a Sov, and a Musketeer and still have never been able to get use to Minelab tones but that's just a personal preference issue. The F75 is a great detector but I look at it as more of a deep old coin/relic machine more so than an all detector. Either way good luck with the V3i.