Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Control Box Cable Question

I have been noticing that my control box cable gets just about squeeze-bent in half when my control box is slid closed. I have tried to push it in with my finger to get some pressure off of it but it doesn't seem to help at all. I know it's not causing a problem now, but I am concerned that as the rubber ages a bit, it won't remain as sturdy as it is currently. Have any of you also noticed this going in with your control box cables? Mine gets folded over so hard that it makes me cringe to push the control box shut.

I would appreciate any comparison information.

Thank you. -Marc

Mark can you post a pic at what you are talking about.. mine go straight back... :confused:

Here is what I am talking about. The control box cable gets pinched in half every time I slide the control box closed. I have spent way too much time trying to get the cable to go in straight/smoothly but it is just not going to happen. What happens is, when I lide the box closed, the cable bends over itself like I demonstrate in the other picture. I am not expert, but in the long run this can't be good for the cable. Anyone else noticing this on their detector? Is this normal and fine?

Thanks guys. -Marc

Marc,

I just looked at mine and it doesn't do that. Without taking my coil cable out, it does look like the curling of the coil cable starts right near the plug but by having the shaft at or near max length it pulls the coil cable pretty straight. Then the coiled part of the cable is not pulled into the little opening just below the connector when I shorten the shaft.

Try pulling your cable back out then inserting it just enough to begin to appear in the connection area and then pull it from there up to make the connection without pulling excess cable into that area.

Yeah mine doesn't look like that either... I am looking at the box wire that is coming from the box and it looks like the old phone cord that is coiled.. then at the connection it straightens out for about an 1inch to 1inch and 1/2. I am wondering if your was crimped before the cord straightened. Does your cord move freely back and forth when you you remove the entire battery unit?
wwTvZ.jpg

I have tried all forms of different orientations, I have tried twisting the cable 360 degrees to make it fit better and I have tried pushing it in with my finger while closing the control box and nothing has helped. I am not complaining as I am not having issues with the detector at this point, but it is something I will keep watching because I am almost certain I will have issues in the future.

I called Minelab Americas today and left a voicemail for Darrin today to ask him if he has heard/knows anything about this potential problem but I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll be sure to share what he tells me with you guys.

Thanks again for all the help. As I said, I'm not too concerned about it right now, I only see a potential issue here once the rubber weakens as it ages. Could be that my worries are completely stupid but I would rather figure out if this is an issue or not while I have warranty rather than forgetting about it and then having an issue after the warranty runs out.

HH -Marc

Cool.. Let us know what he says..

Update: Darin from Minelab America's called me today and sent me a UPS label to get my CTX looked at. Seems like my control box cable may have been seated slightly differently than it should have. No big deal and Minelab offered to take care of it no questions asked. I guess it will be at the doctors for a few days. As usual, Minelab customer service has proven to be TOP notch. Thank you mInelab!

Glad you're getting the situatoion resolved. I've looked at my CTX. And just by looking at yuor pic, your cable's lengths seem not be matched. And the shorter length cable is causing your longer cable to bend when you slide your box up and in the locked position.

It's probably best to get it taken care of right away rather than waiting for the trouble to start.

MHirschmann said:
Here is what I am talking about. The control box cable gets pinched in half every time I slide the control box closed. I have spent way too much time trying to get the cable to go in straight/smoothly but it is just not going to happen. What happens is, when I lide the box closed, the cable bends over itself like I demonstrate in the other picture. I am not expert, but in the long run this can't be good for the cable. Anyone else noticing this on their detector? Is this normal and fine?

Thanks guys. -Marc

Mine does about the same thing. Got some hunting to do befor I can think about sending it in.

Jason

MHirschmann said:
Update: Darin from Minelab America's called me today and sent me a UPS label to get my CTX looked at. Seems like my control box cable may have been seated slightly differently than it should have. No big deal and Minelab offered to take care of it no questions asked. I guess it will be at the doctors for a few days. As usual, Minelab customer service has proven to be TOP notch. Thank you mInelab!

Great news! Minelab is tops!

pulled mine apart to swap coils to the 6" and found I have the same issue. pretty disappointing.
I'm in Canada. Really don't want to deal with now.......

Update: I got my CTX back today from Minelab. They did a great job and it seems all better. Darin told me that they replaced the cable from the head to the control box for a new one and it seems to be better. He said that either way they don't think it would have been an issue any time soon but I sure feel better seeing the cable seat in there without being pinched. Thanks to those who followed this question with me and thank you very much Minelab (and Darin Brown) for your amazing customer service!

Now I just have to figure out how I can talk my wife into allowing me to get the 17" coil..........-Marc