Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Control box cover

Anyone find/ use a Control box cover that seems really well built and adds great protection on top of the Screen Protectors? Get a lot of dry dusty dirt or wet dirt and want to protect the Keypad more. Thanks.

I was getting dirt and grit on the buttons too. Looked around but I don't use a cover over the entire POD because it is sensitive to heat buildup. But I found cheap stick on keyboard covers from eBay that have clear thin plastic over the buttons themselves. It has an opening for the display but I have the original display cover. So with both the entire face of the POD keypad is covered.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detecting-Innovations-Keypad-Stickers-for-the-Minelab-Equinox-800-and-600-1/303309184008?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Florida Son said:
I was getting dirt and grit on the buttons too. Looked around but I don't use a cover over the entire POD because it is sensitive to heat buildup. But I found cheap stick on keyboard covers from eBay that have clear thin plastic over the buttons themselves. It has an opening for the display but I have the original display cover. So with both the entire face of the POD keypad is covered.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detecting-Innovations-Keypad-Stickers-for-the-Minelab-Equinox-800-and-600-1/303309184008?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I live in Florida detect in summer here using the Equinox with a full cover from
Nuffstuff3032 on Ebay for 23.00
Never had a problem with it
How much heat do you think the Equinox builds-up?
It's not a short wave radio

no kidding. i know if it is left in the sun the screen blacks out until it cools down.

Heck Cellphones and iPads will shut down and say something like to hot and will not run until they cool down.

u2robert said:
I live in Florida detect in summer here using the Equinox with a full cover from

ITs not generated heat, its retained heat. The people who reported overheating problems were hunting in full sun, in the summer. You put a black blanket on yourself in that condition and see how much extra heat you begin to suffer with.

The bottom line is that these dont need head covers. They arent going to be hurt by dirt, or mud or rain. Heck, if it gets dirty just put it in your shower to clean it. If you are worried about the faceplate scratching then put a Z A G G protector on it and youre good.

Jason in Enid said:
u2robert said:

ITs not generated heat, its retained heat. The people who reported overheating problems were hunting in full sun, in the summer. You put a black blanket on yourself in that condition and see how much extra heat you begin to suffer with.

The bottom line is that these dont need head covers. They arent going to be hurt by dirt, or mud or rain. Heck, if it gets dirty just put it in your shower to clean it. If you are worried about the faceplate scratching then put a Z A G G protector on it and youre good.

Wrong,
Not using a cover will scratch up the housing.
You hunt without 1 and I'll hunt with 1 for a year.
Then lets compare detectors.

And yes I've been hunt all summer with a black cover never had any problems what so ever.

In my opinion if it has a cover and not sitting with the sun beating on the screen I’m wondering if it would get to hot.
With the cover stopping the direst sun it should be better.
If you were in the desert any protection from the sun has to help.
But sitting there just baking in the sun ?? If it’s that hot I would not be there.
But I’m speculating here.
Doug

u2robert said:
Wrong,

And yes I've been hunt all summer with a black cover never had any problems what so ever.

Please dont assume that your condition is equal everyone else. I never said NEVER USE A COVER. I said they arent NEEDED. You claim "scratching". OK, thats YOUR experience. I've been using EQX for 2 years now. Never had a cover on it, it doesnt have a single scratch, despite hundreds of hours and travel to numerous countries. Also, I never said anyone using a cover would have problems, I only stated the conditions where HAVE HAD PROBLEMS with a cover.

Feel free to keep using your cover, nobody is saying you can't.

Jason in Enid said:
u2robert said:
Wrong,

Please dont assume that your condition is equal everyone else. I never said NEVER USE A COVER. I said they arent NEEDED. You claim "scratching". OK, thats YOUR experience. I've been using EQX for 2 years now. Never had a cover on it, it doesnt have a single scratch, despite hundreds of hours and travel to numerous countries. Also, I never said anyone using a cover would have problems, I only stated the conditions where HAVE HAD PROBLEMS with a cover.

Feel free to keep using your cover, nobody is saying you can't.

It just makes sense to me to use a cover to protect your investment that's what I trying to say.
when I detect my hands or glovers get covered in dirt or mud and operating the controls no matter how careful
you try to be your doing damage.
With a cover you eliminate all that.

Be careful. I have one that that I took to Key Largo last year. It was HOT on the beach and after about an hour, my EQX 800 started to malfunction. I removed the cover, let it cool down for a little while and all returned to normal. When I got home, I cut out the back of the cover exposing the speaker grid to allow air to better circulate and prevent heart build up. That seems to have worked as I haven't had the problem since.

Just the view from my Florida foxhole....

ColonelDan said:
Be careful. I have one that that I took to Key Largo last year. It was HOT on the beach and after about an hour, my EQX 800 started to malfunction. I removed the cover, let it cool down for a little while and all returned to normal. When I got home, I cut out the back of the cover exposing the speaker grid to allow air to better circulate and prevent heart build up. That seems to have worked as I haven't had the problem since.

I also live in Florida.
Hunted beaches a lot never had any problems.
Let me ask you this is your Equinox one of the first releases?
I have seen where people first using the Equinox's had this problem but
Haven't heard of it for about a year?

u2robert said:
ColonelDan said:

I also live in Florida.
Hunted beaches a lot never had any problems.
Let me ask you this is your Equinox one of the first releases?
I have seen where people first using the Equinox's had this problem but
Haven't heard of it for about a year?

My first EQX was one of the earlier ones but after I cut out the back of the cover, I've never had another heat related problem. My second EQX was a later one and I did the same to that cover...never another problem with either EQX. :detecting: