Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coordinate Help Please

Mat in MA

I have an old town map dated 1870. I need to know the GPS coordinates of a particular location. Maps this far back didn't use latitude/longetude lines. What's the best way to get the coordinates with this map? :confused: Thanks for your help.

You are correct,an old town map would not have coordinates on it,only a plat map or one showing township,range, and section would show coordinates.
Only way would be to overlay it on Google earth,as accurately as you can,lot of things could have changed, but if lucky might get it fairly close.
Then could get coordinates from google earth.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know how I made out.

Mat

It worked!

Just one other question. How do I remove the overlay map from Google Earth? Everytime I open it the overlay is still there, even after a reboot. It's like it's been taped to Google Earth.

Your overlay will be in your places section.
Did you give it a name when you were over laying it and the box was open?
you do not have to remove it,just find it in your places section on the left,then right click on it and go to properties.
now your box pops up again! notice there is a slider,if you drag it to the left it will be transparent but still there.
This is also useful when adjusting the map because you can move the slider to see through the overlay to get points lined up.
you can delete it by right clicking on it also if you want to!

LabradorBob

Bob ~ Thanks for the help. It was great and everything worked just as you said it would. One final question. I noticed that once an overlay map is placed on google earth it can't be moved around any more. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

Just right click it in your places section and choose properties, then you should be able to move it or adjust it more if you want.

Nice. Thanks again for all the help. :clapping: :thumbup: :detecting:

Hello Mat,
You may be able to take GPS coordinates from USGS maps of your area and transpose them to your map. The historic USGS maps I use here in NY have lines every 5 minutes. If you can transpose the lines to your map, then you can divide the minutes into seconds (60 seconds to a minute) and come up with a grid for your map.
Good luck and HH, mac from NY