Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Copper Culture Awl

Dale(Ia)

Finally was able to get into my first field(cornfield) this fall.......This field had native indian villages on it in pre-historic times. My hunting buddy found one of these Copper Culture awls on this field last year. This awl has been on my Bucket List for many years!
The native americans hammered these out of "float" copper that came down with the glaciers & used them for piercing leather to make clothes, etc. You can't tell from this picture but they are diamond shaped in cross section & is much sharper then it appears in the picture.Since I got this new computer I've been having a hell of a time posting pictures!!

Iowa Dale

Sorry about the "giant" picture when you enlarge it!:rage:

Dale(Ia) said:
Finally was able to get into my first field(cornfield) this fall.......This field had native indian villages on it in pre-historic times. My hunting buddy found one of these Copper Culture awls on this field last year. This awl has been on my Bucket List for many years!
The native americans hammered these out of "float" copper that came down with the glaciers & used them for piercing leather to make clothes, etc. You can't tell from this picture but they are diamond shaped in cross section & is much sharper then it appears in the picture.Since I got this new computer I've been having a hell of a time posting pictures!!

Iowa Dale

Sorry about the "giant" picture when you enlarge it!:rage:

Wow Dale, that is truly awesome. I've always wanted to find a piece of trade silver. To find a piece from that period would be incredible. Congrats!

That's the type of thing that many dream of but just never run across. While I have found a small piece of float copper,I certainly haven't found anything close to that! What a find Dale,just spectacular. That would be a "banner" somewhere else...

IDXMonster said:
That's the type of thing that many dream of but just never run across. While I have found a small piece of float copper,I certainly haven't found anything close to that! What a find Dale,just spectacular. That would be a "banner" somewhere else...
Thank's, IDX (& others!) It looks much better in-hand than that crappy picture............I have found many stone arrowheads & broken pottery shards on this site!

Iowa Dale

Tony N (Michigan) said:
It could be too that those Indians traded for copper from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

Fantastic find, Dale!
Yep, you are correct, Tony........very well could have been traded in!

Iowa Dale