Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRe vs. Racer

Bryannagirl said:
Where I am right now my focus is old and deep silver in the City. I would love to do some relic hunting and beach hunting, and maybe even some prospecting, but for now old silver will have to do.

thanks guys for all the great info you all share very much appreciated.

you have two choices based on your current 'focus'.....used Etrac or used CTX (faster, better, will find silver Etrac misses)....forget anything else, they all pale compared to FBS on Silver...

cheers....

I have both the FORS CoRe and the Deus and I like them both.
The FORS CoRe is a lot easier for me to understand...so simple.
The Deus is definitely "sparkier" and "noisier" and sometimes difficult to adjust for a particular area. I will use it when the temps go up here where I live due to the lightness of the unit.
I'm still waiting on the Red Racer...I got to be convinced that it will do better for me than the FORS CoRe.

JMO...:clsoedeyes:

Charles

Dont get the deus because the racer is half the price and its going to be a great detector..the company is very informative and customer oriented.. Im ordering one soon

If you bought a Racer and a Deus and combined their weight and cost it would put you in the price and weight of a new CTX. The Ctx is nice. Way too heavy and way over priced. In the end I had wished I had my Etrac back for various reasons. I had the CTX for 2 years and sold it for the Deus. Love that a lot more. Now I have a Racer Pro pack on order. I also have an MXT Pro. I may sell it assuming the Racer performs as advertised.

I got a DEUS, was not my cup of tea. The Racer design is far more to my liking. There is a DEUS forum for DEUS fans. I am pretty sure the idea on Findmall is that fans of one brand are not supposed to hang around and rag on machines other people use or are interested in.

no one is ragging just offering their thoughts

So I should hang out on the DEUS forum and "offer my thought" that people should buy a Racer? I doubt people there would appreciate it so I would not be so inclined.

I told the gal what I thought nothing wrong with that..in fact a lot of deus users are interested in the racer I think the small coil is a game changer...

I feel followers of specific forums ought to ask guestions, even if about comparisons with a competitor's model, and share their experiences afield.

Quick question for you.: Have you compared the FORS CoRe and Racer yet on gold 'pickers' or 'nuggets,' and, if so, what's your opinion as of now? I'm going to tinker with some pickers this evening, but so far the Racer is more of a surprise than I had anticipated. I hoped for a #2 unit and right now these two are going toe-to-toe in most of my evaluation. :detecting::detecting:

Monte

Hi Monte,

Well, the Racer showed up without warning while I have been in New Orleans at the Minelab Conference the last few days. My wife sent me a text with a photo of the boxes! I get home tomorrow and am anxious of course to get my hands on the unit. My focus is entirely different than most of course, so for me the Racer is really just a preview of what I might expect physically from the Gold Racer. The Racer is of course running at 14 kHz versus the CoRe 15 kHz so in theory the Nokta Gold and CoRe have an edge on gold but frequency is not 100% of the game. There is stuff like transmit voltage to the coil which we do not know for any of the models.

My personal theory is that the idea at Makro is to do sort of like Garrett. The AT Pro runs at 15 kHz to better handle the beach while the 18 kHz AT Gold is a bit too hot for that. Maybe they decided to bring the Racer down to 14 kHz knowing a hotter Gold Racer will follow, building in just a bit more spread between the two frequency-wise? Just guessing.

Anyway, should have something to report to you in the next couple days.

Steve: I'd appreciate your elaborating on what KHz levels go with what kind of hunting. For example, why is the 14Khz AT Pro more appropriate for the beach and the 18Khz AT Gold is too hot?

Are all KHz levels above 18Khz good for nugget hunting?

What types of hunting are KHz levels below 10Khz good for?

First off, frequency is not everything. It is more complex than that. Still, you can say in general that detectors with frequencies running in the single digits are less reactive to soil and wet salt sand, and also less prone to firing off on tiny trash. They make excellent coin detectors. The 7-8 kHz range is popular for this reason.

As you increase frequency you increase the ability to hit smaller stuff. This is good when you are talking gold. But the detector gets more reactive to the ground and it hits on tiny trash. The detectors get "chatty" for lack of a better term. Salt water is conductive and if you make a detector hot enough it will pick up salt water or wet salt sand. That tends to happen around 15 kHz plus or minus a bit depending on other factors. The AT Pro at 15kHz is about as hot as you can get and still manage wet salt sand but even then it is not that great at it. The way the unit ground balances matters and so even the 19 kHz First Texas machines can compensate for wet salt halfway well with their ground balance range.

But now I am getting too deep into this. Bottom line is the engineer has to decide if he wants the machine to play nice with salt water or not. Once he just says no, who cares, then you can run the frequency very high for very hot performance on tiny stuff. But machines like the 48 kHz Whites GMT or 71 kHz Fisher Gold Bug 2 are so hot that they pick up your hand as they react to the salt content of your blood and sweaty palms! Useless on wet salt sand.

Multi frequency detectors you can simplify by just saying they act like lower frequency detectors. They handle salt water well but are not as hot on tiny stuff as single frequency high kHz detectors.

So say around 8 kHz for machines that tend to be just coin hunters, up to around 15 kHz for do it all good on coins and jewelry/gold plus ok on beaches and above 15 kHz still good on coins and jewelry/gold but no good on wet salt beach sand.

Generalities only but hope it helps.

My interest is simply in extracting non-ferrous targets from highly mineralized ground. My preferred tool is a PI detector. However, for really trashy areas a good VLF is the other thing I use. I do not want programs and bells and whistles. I want to turn it on and have a low tone ferrous high tone non-ferrous response. The Turkish detectors seem to do about as well as a VLF can do at resisting the VLF tendency to misidentify a non-ferrous target as ferrous in bad ground. I am not saying they are perfect and in fact bad enough ground will defeat any VLF. But they are very, very good in a simple design that appeals to me.

My guess is Racer will be my small coil machine, and FORS Gold the "Big Coil" machine, mainly for reasons to do with balance more than anything else. Racer for me is more just a stepping stone to Gold Racer in my mind, but it may have nuances I have yet to discover and Gold Racer is an open question at this point.

I have tremendous respect for XP and what they have done with the DEUS. People would be mistaken in thinking I do believe it is an extremely well thought out and wonderful machine for the market it is intended to serve. It is just that it is a detector with its own limitations like all detectors and I tire of the idea it does everything so well all other detectors are obsolete.