Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRe vs. Racer

berryman

Even though the Racer's not out yet, the general consensus on this forum seems to be that the Racer will match the performance of the CoRe. I'd appreciate it if Keith or Monte (or whomever else may wish to chime in) would explain what attributes or technology the machines have in common that support this conclusion.

Nokta's/Makro Rep made a statement saying something like we could expect same or similar performance out of Racer that CoRe unit offers. That remains to be seen currently. When the go ahead is given I'm sure the testers and even Nokta/Makro may even comment further. So everything said about racer operation is currently speculation. Unless something is leaked. And that too could be misleading since the Racer could get a last minute tune/adjust before official release.

only a "best guess" at this point for most of us, but we can have faith and hope that all will go well.

berryman said:
Even though the Racer's not out yet, the general consensus on this forum seems to be that the Racer will match the performance of the CoRe.
Mike, there have been comments from the Nokta/Makro folks that the Racer would provide similar search coils and similar features, and that performance will be close to that of the FORS CoRe. At this point as we get this new year started I do know a few things for sure that are definite facts.:

Fact #1.. The Nokta FORS CoRe is a very impressive, well built, quality and logically designed detector that has provided proven in-the-field performance for me. So impressive, that the FORS CoRe now occupies my #1 All-Purpose Detector spot.

Fact #2.. The image we have of the Nokta & Makro detectors is really quite remarkable, being very aware of discussions and activities on their Forum, providing us with manufacturer-direct communications; and showing an interest in what 'we,' the consumers, think of their products or what might be considered as an improvement or point of interest for future design development.

Fact #3.. The advanced appearance of the Makro Racer shows us an impressive looking detector that is light weight, yet it has "full features" without an excess of gadgety adjustments. The adjustments provided are similar/same as the Nokta FORS CoRe with only one exception [size=small](one I missed but Steve H. commented on it)[/size]. So, operating at a very close frequency, and providing all the same adjustment features, and also coming with closely similar-sized DD coils either standard or in the Pro package, the obvious impression is that the control adjustment capabilities should be similar.

Fact #4.. I know a Makro Racer will be in my hands before I head out on my ghost town and homestead travels starting in about a month. I know that is a 'fact' because I am so impressed with the CoRe that it would be unfair to ignore the Racer. In my posts I state that it will have similar adjustment features, and that I definitely hope it will provide similar in-the-field performance. Unless it is a flop [size=small](unexpected)[/size] and falls short in performance, I anticipate the Racer will take the #2 spot in my regular carry detector arsenal.

The 'Unknown' for us at this point is how well the circuitry design and digital programming is going to end up when compared with the FORS CoRe. It shouldn't be long before some of us will have a Racer in hand and be working on some comparative evaluations to have the definitive answer, but from what we've seen, I am sure all of us have high hopes for it.

berryman said:
I'd appreciate it if Keith or Monte (or whomever else may wish to chime in) would explain what attributes or technology the machines have in common that support this conclusion.
They should share similar 'attributes or technology' as the design engineers are using very modern digital programming technology to wring the performance out of the FORS CoRe that they have, and I see no reason why they would use a cost-cutting change to their dedication.

As stated, we won't know what the racer can do until it is in our hands and put to work, however, we can see the similar attributes they share in the way of control features and adjustments. Just go to the Nokta website and view the details of the FORS CoRe, then to the Makro site to check out all of the Racer's offerings.

It's the 5th of February and it should be only a matter of a couple/few weeks before they are out and in-use. That's good because I'm getting all my detecting adventure gear and maps and travel routes organized to head out by about mid-March, with old site locations scheduled for hunting jaunts in 4 or 5 Western US states from mid-March through at least the end of July. Should have a newer camera to take along with for photos from afield, too, then we can see the nifty Red Racer in the bright sun-lit deserts.

Monte

I was wondering if the Racer wasn't just a CoRe redesigned with same electronics but parts moved around. Put the batteries under the arm cuff and move the brains and display up to a more conventional location. But I think there may have been some clues dropped as to some performance tweaks. Guys like Monte and Keith (and others) have the integrity to call it like they see it and the CoRe reviews have been very impressive. The Makro/Nokta people IMHO have been far more focused on customer communication in the various forums and evidently in routine customer support than most manufacturers. Let's face it, most makers have actually been pretty good over the years. Some not so good. Who knows why. Maybe profit margins are kind of thin. Maybe some just got comfortable with the way things have been going over the years and get in a corporate rut. Plus there seems to be a small group of engineers in the industry to originate the design work. Maybe this is a wake up call so we can all benefit. Time will tell.

Just waiting on my Racer tracking number now that February is here.

"Corporate Rut", I like the sound of that. And I think it has merit. Remember Ford and Chevy, Crysler too. The Japs and now it seems the South Koreans and Germans are applying pressure. The metal detector market I feel is experiencing the same. Have you heard. USA short on engineers. It shows. It shows with autos, cell phones, computers etc. Our great nation had better get it together.
We have fell behind and are still falling. I have a FORS CoRe unit. Some say it's not special. I disagree. Just think some detectors have filter settings, recovery delay settings, rx gain settings, disc settings, freq settings, modulation settings, and some I'm forgetting. The CoRe unit. Just turn on, select mode, set sensitivity, ground balance or select tracking and go. Sure there are a few other settings like ID mask, vol, tone selection. But these don't seemingly affect overall performance. As far as jumping into an aircraft/auto and just pop into an unknown site, the Nokta unit will most likely yield some very good results. Watch Nokta/Makro. They were more established abroad than some realize. I think they actually targeted the USA last. Probably a smart move. Get your capital, design a very good detector and launch. And it seems Nokta/Makro move fast. Not a stilted company either. Seems communications move fast within, shocking actually. The US based companies could learn from them. Big dogs have perished before because of sitting on the fence. Nokta/Makro needs more distributors I feel. The more hands that can be put on their merchandise the better. I expect this indeed will happen.

To be fair I suppose if the Racer turned out to be just another VLF detector the rest of the manufacturers could wind up getting a big chuckle out of it. What I personally hope for is something new in the how the Makro machines operate which might inspire other engineers to re-think designs. I believe the Deus design is amazing in a lot of ways and shook a few people up. Initially I wasn't convinced of it and waited a couple of years. Now I have one. I remember people complaining about cheap plastic cases several years ago and the way some companies were getting away from metal cases. I pitched the idea that the new plastics were tough and a heck of a lot lighter. The trend to lighter machines has continued. Then again other machines have grown really heavy. I'm thankful for the lighter ones because I'm not getting any younger or stronger.

I will bet the farm when FORS CoRe unit was being engineered the following detectors capabilities were studied and tested in the field and labratory: Fisher F75se, XP deus, White's V3i, Minelab CTX/Etrac, Garret AT Pro and some of the other top performing Euro machines. And unmasking is where they concentrated. I suspect they played a little up and down the freq spectrum, as well as coil size to arrive at what they considered best performance for umasking, mineralized soil, and depth.

I will say this. Imagine a known'planted $10,000 coin buried on edge at 6.5 inches in a 1000 acre field parcel. You know the coin is there like a contest of sort. All the top dog machines are sitting on a shelf and you know how to run them all. Pay your $100 for a 2 hour hunt and use one of their detectors to hunt with to see if you can find the coin. Finder's keepers. What machine are you going to pick?? I know which one I'm going to pick.

Monte I love my CoRe too. I've never seen anything like it. I just got a CF 77 and it appears to be a great machine too, excellent build and quality. It's going on freshwater beaches, it airtests like no other. In the beach sand results coming soon.

squirrel1 said:
I will say this. Imagine a known'planted $10,000 coin buried on edge at 6.5 inches in a 1000 acre field parcel. You know the coin is there like a contest of sort. All the top dog machines are sitting on a shelf and you know how to run them all. Pay your $100 for a 2 hour hunt and use one of their detectors to hunt with to see if you can find the coin. Finder's keepers. What machine are you going to pick?? I know which one I'm going to pick.

how big is the coin? I think the F19 (with stock coil) would be a good choice!

I have seen the racer in action 2day I am selling the core right now the racer just blows the core away

alfred said:
I have seen the racer in action 2day I am selling the core right now the racer just blows the core away

uh, how about a little more on that....location, etc...finds? depth? why so much better?

There should be videos out by the weekend. A member on one of the euro forums received his test unit today!

Heads up, there are unboxing video and initial testing video uploaded to Youtube..:clapping:

alfred said:

Those are awful big words.
Could you elaborate a little.

Thanks

I wouldn't be so hasty in saying the Makro Racer will "blow the CoRe away."

Oh, I guess I can see it if someone is on a budget and can't treat themselves to more than one detector, and I can tell you right now that if $$$ was tight and I could only have one, it would very likely be the Racer. However, I own several detectors, even if not all of them get used much, or at all. I have some that I take to the day-long seminars I do to show people what we had, what a progression was to get us to where we have been/are today, and point out the strengths and weaknesses of various models/types. Mind you, I always state there is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector, and that applies to both the FORS CoRe and Racer.

alfred said:
I have seen the racer in action 2day I am selling the core right now the racer just blows the core away[/color]
That said, they have far more positives than most of the competition out there, and are some of the absolute best-performing detectors for the dollar, period. And that applies to both of these Nokta and Makro models, and there are only a few little differences between them. It will take more than just an afternoon afield today for me to conclude just which one might have an edge over the other, but one thing is for certain ... BOTH of them have a solid place in my personal detector battery and can easily complement the other.

Most likely I'll keep the standard coil on the FORS CoRe and smaller coil on the Racer, but have all the optional search coils at-the-ready. Once I get a few more lower rods and mounting hardware, I will have all the coils along so I can pick-and-choose the best coil for the site I will hunt. Both are so good that I can't see any convincing reason to let one go, if it will still serve me well and complement the other.

Due to very light weight and the great visual display, combined with the almost perfect layout and menu control, the Racer will likely be my most-often-grabbed detector when I reach any site. Then I can hunt for a while and make and further decisions about coils or models to use after that.

As for "blows the CoRe away," that will take me maybe a week of evaluation and time afield to know how close they are in performance and if one has a little edge here or there over the other. I think in the coming months we might see more and more competitors models hit the Classifieds, cheap, so they can dump them for either of these two top performing detectors.

Monte

Monte, it sounds like you've got yourself a Racer 'in house'.....if so I'm looking forward to your take on it....hope you get some nice weather this weekend...

it is "in the house" now, but was out for the afternoon [size=small](between brief showers)[/size] for the start of some comparisons and field work.

I hoped it would be similar to the Nokta FORS CoRe, and in many ways it is, such as adjustment functions. In other ways, however, it is beyond impressive.

Different, however, in the factory default settings, and I found it to be even easier to use .. the way I like to hunt many places .. using different search modes. I'll explain later. I just got in a little bit ago, it's dark, and I'm hungry. So first I'm going to go fix some dinner, then I'll get to the Forums and e-mail's that I've received.

Monte

I posted in another Forum - I was debating between a very clean MXT 300 (not Pro) with Sunray probe at about 4 bills, a new Racer at 650 to 850 depending if I want Pro pack, or a Used Deus for about a grand. I wondered if the Dues was worth the Cost of admission vs MXT. But, after watching Keith's video the Fog is starting to lift.

Where I am right now my focus is old and deep silver in the City. I would love to do some relic hunting and beach hunting, and maybe even some prospecting, but for now old silver will have to do.

I am waiting for you early adopters to report more on the Racer and where it shines best.

thanks guys for all the great info you all share very much appreciated.