Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Counter balancing the shaft.

Is it possible to have a small shaft with a weight inside it extend out the rear behind the cuff? One with a few different spring clip holes for variable settings? Just tossing around ideas. I first found out that a counter weight was great using the Excalibur. The shaft extended out the back and basically went towards my elbow. It never would hit me. The only down side to it was that it was just a long shaft and was as pain to put in the car. Something that could be pushed in quickly or easily be put on and taken off would be the ticket. I agree that length is better than weight. I had my Excal balanced so well that the grip just laid in my hand. That 15 inch coil is going to get two reputations quickly. One for coverage and depth and the other for the killer weight.

Joe --

Won't be a can of worms. Just a matter of having several different lengths/weights of counter weights. Don't worry, I have this pretty well sorted out in my mind! ;)

goodmore --

Pretty much exactly what I'm thinking...don't want to present too many details yet, but you and I are largely on the same page...

More to follow, soon...

Jason --

Thanks for the feedback, on the length.

Trying to find that length that becomes "too long" is what I need to figure out...

Steve

Bottom line on that big coil..... you will likely need a bungy.

I hope you are right Steve....... but even on the Xcal those big ole pods 4" back barely did it for the standard coil.

dewcon4414 said:
I hope you are right Steve....... but even on the Xcal those big ole pods 4" back barely did it for the standard coil.

Really? I have also felt the BTE straight rods were excellent for balance

Jason...... yes my Xcal are balanced....... but thats why i said barely, but not with a 15" coil and extended lower.

dewcon4414 said:
Jason...... yes my Xcal are balanced....... but thats why i said barely, but not with a 15" coil and extended lower.

I think we're going to have to wait until we get a 15 in hand. People who got to use one at detectival have said it was much lighter than expected.

I love how light the EQX is, but if I have to make it heavy to make it balanced with a large coil, I'll take that.

Jason in Enid said:

I think we're going to have to wait until we get a 15 in hand. People who got to use one at detectival have said it was much lighter than expected.

I love how light the EQX is, but if I have to make it heavy to make it balanced with a large coil, I'll take that.

And that brings me back to my dilemma; how LONG of an extension is TOO long (knowing that the longer the extension, the less overall weight is needed to achieve balance), and how MUCH weight is TOO much (knowing that with more weight, the shorter the extension needs to be to achieve balance). These are two competing physics "facts" that need to be "balanced" (no pun intended), and that's what I'm working to figure out -- to find the most optimal "middle ground" between length of the counter-weight extension, and the amount of overall weight needed to achieve balance AT that length of extension...

Yes, I can't wait to either get a 15" in-hand, or else have someone who gets one give an accurate weight on it, so that I can see just what we are dealing with, in terms of what needs to be "counter-balanced."

Steve

Someone came out with something similar to use on the AT Pro a piece of stainless steel metal I believe that extended the shaft behind the armrest out the end of the rod. Never was in the way. It has holes so you can pick the right in or out length for the coil you were using and how far out the coil shaft was extended on the lower end rod. Looks real nice Made a big difference..

sgoss66 said:
And that brings me back to my dilemma; how LONG of an extension is TOO long (knowing that the longer the extension, the less overall weight is needed to achieve balance), and how MUCH weight is TOO much .......

Steve

Why not make it a sliding system? If the rod can slide into the upper shaft, you could even use the factory armcuff holding bolt to hold the extension at whatever point the user wanted. That could even eliminate the need for heavy or light weight. Just one weight that you run short for the stock coil or longer for a 15" coil.

EtracTom --

Funny you mention that; as I was talking about my idea with someone they showed me a picture of that old Garrett balancing rod. Interesting! Same type of concept...

Jason --

I will certainly experiment with that idea; Joe mentioned this idea, as well. My concern (and won't know until I try it) is that ONE weight, but simply adjusting the length (changing the lever distance) will be enough to balance that big 15" coil...

But I'll certainly experiment with it...

Great ideas.

Steve

It would be great if the end shaft weight balancer could screw in and out for an infinite amount of adjustment.
Good luck with the project Steve.