Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Counterfeit Large Cent...Colonial Shoe Buckle

Evolution

Revisited a site where I found a counterfeit Half dollar in 2013. This guy must be a counterfeiter because I found another counterfeit attempt at a coin there today. It was a pewter large cent. (appears to be a matron head variety) The words one cent are reversed on it and the image of lady liberty if sunk into the coin as opposed to raised off of it. Not a very good chance of this ever passing for a real coin but an interesting thing to dig up nonetheless..... Also found a nice Colonial buckle. The buckle was at 4-5 inches deep at a field site I was hunting. The Counterfeit coin rang up much lower than the large cents usually do. It was hitting between 11-36 and went up as high as 12-38 prior to digging it.... after it was out of the ground it rang at a consistent 12-37.

How often does someone find an old counterfeit coin! Good job!

I think counterfeiting coins back then was more common than we think.
There was an outlaw gang who were horse thieves and also counterfeited silver coins in my area. They operated from the mid 1830's to somewhere in the 1850's in a hideout only a few miles from my property line.
Maybe someday i'll find one of those counterfeited coins, maybe even on my property.