Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

couple of observations

north1

Still consider myself a newbie with the etrac, but have put about 100 hours on it almost exclusively in ttf with goes4ever settings. The sites that I hunt, which are old homesteads, really became workable after getting the etrac and running in ttf. I often hear people say to ignore meter readings and concentrate on tones, even in ttf. In my short time with the etrac, however, I have found the meter to be very helpful. I will listen to tone, determine repeatability from different directions, then look for repeatability of meter readings and the actual numbers. Usually I can predict what is under the coil with a high degree of accuracy. For instance, a 12-20/21 which is repeatable is a shotgun headstamp. This would not be possible without the meter readings, and they are very consistent. I would dare say my finds would be significantly less without it.

Another observation. The items that sometimes fooI me after using the above technique do so by shape. Maybe all detectors detect by shape, but I find horse harness rings, which are made of iron, often ring up close to the coin range and do so with repeatability in all directions. The same can be said for coin sized round objects made of different materials like brass and copper. The meter readings do help in some circumstances, especially when dealing with aluminum, pewter or lead, but the targets always sound coin like in all directions. That being said, I try to dig anything repeatable, even when numbers are iffy and the only time I haven't been confident the object was a coin was when their was junk near it.

I have detected on and off for over 30 years with 5 different detectors. I have to say that I am simply amazed at what the etrac can do. I never dreamed that a person could sync themselves with an electrical instrument to the degree I have experienced with the etrac in around 100 hours of detecting. It really is as if it is an extension of a persons cerebral cortex. Once you put the headphones on and get in the groove the world melts away and is as close to "seeing" whats under the ground as I have ever experienced. Thank you Minelab. I can't wait for the next 100 hrs.

Those dang rings get me all the time brother or ones like it. Look like a bull nose ring. Sound great and are deep. Im getting better when in conductive by not looking at smart find but not so much in TTF don't get me wrong program is sweet but way to many high tones for me to dig. I get a high tone look at numbers one big factor that has helped me recover some iffy coins is pin point. My rule of thumb is if deep and iffy numbers and pin points well like a coin its in the bag! Example last weekend was in parking area on the outside of cemetery note ( outside of cemetery on other side of fence people) big grassy area ground was full of tacks. Well any way was not getting jack got signal of 12-22 8'' deep said if pin points good im digging. Bam 1898 indan followed by two more in same range. Don't know why those numbers but dug them because of how they pin pointed. not sure if this sounds like bad detecting but its helping me to decide to dig iffy targets. in past I would have walked on these coins for sure.

I agree , I like to refer to the id numbers as well. A high tone repeatable 35:47, at 4 inches, is not something I would dig, unless it jumps into the coin range sometimes.