Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cracked GT Tornado coil wires times 2

midalake

TROLL
So Just returned from Mexico where I went out detecting and the next day the Tornado coil I have on, had the outer casing crack. Went into my storage bin and found my back-up coil with a cracked outer sheath as well. To say I am not pleased is an understatement. Questions?

1. Has anyone had success with a complaint to Minelab?

2. Has anyone though of putting on a new outer sheath covering over the old one? If so where would that product be?

3. Have read a few people have fixed these, however, how to vids or pictures seem in short supply.

4. Has anyone asked Minelab what coil serial numbers have these problems? I do not want to order a new one unless this has been corrected!

5 I have never heard of a Excal coil sheath cracking up? Has anyone installed an Excal coil on their GT Sov. detector?

6 Does anyone have info or seen info on the CORS Scout 12.5"x8.5" DD Search Coil for Minelab Sovereign Specifically saltwater performance?

Many Thanks Dave

You don't say how old your coils are and the maintenance you performed on them. Some guys hunt salt water and put the detector in the corner until they hunt again. Rinsing of equipment and a generous supply of silicone spray helps to keep things from happening. If you do indeed try to take care of your equipment and the coils are young I would contact Minelab. I was wondering the same thing about CORS coils. I will be needing a new Sovereign coil myself. I sold my 13" Ultimate last weekend to a friend. It seems his Tornado coil had the casing on the cable peeling off.

I have repaired several Minelab coils this way and it works great.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1847622,1847689#msg-1847689

Thanks Mel, I will research further. One question, what happens when you try to unscrew the nut/ wire retainer from the coil? Does this expose wires?

I do not know how old they are? Both machines were bought used some time ago. They get a fresh water rinse right after hunting and both my scoop and wand go into the shower for more rinsing. The odd part is one coil has got lots of use[at least 10 years] my original and the other has been in storage as back-up.......They both failed a week apart!

Dave

You will either see the cable or wires with broken insulation.

1. Has anyone had success with a complaint to Minelab? Many have but in vain. Strange no other company has coil issues.

2. Has anyone though of putting on a new outer sheath covering over the old one? If so where would that product be? If your handy should not be a problem, best to replace the complete wire for sure, not just the outer shielding, many have replaced http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1832298,1832298#msg-1832298 .

3. Have read a few people have fixed these, however, how to vids or pictures seem in short supply..I know of no video's only other info would be here on the forum.

4. Has anyone asked Minelab what coil serial numbers have these problems? I do not want to order a new one unless this has been corrected!........Good Luck, I have purchased maybe 30 in the last two years and none have had issues. Main thing is if the machine is stored the coil wire must be prepared for storage.

5 I have never heard of a Excal coil sheath cracking up? Has anyone installed an Excal coil on their GT Sov. detector? I have seen several on the excal, even worse they have separation issues on the main body of the coil..think it more now installing the sovereign coils on a Excalibur since you can not purchase a Excal coil. And yes, you can put the excal coil on the sovereign if you find a used one.

6 Does anyone have info or seen info on the CORS Scout 12.5"x8.5" DD Search Coil for Minelab Sovereign Specifically saltwater performance? No info here....I prefer stock coils ...

Many Thanks Dave[/quote]

Thanks Beech.........Good Luck, I have purchased maybe 30 in the last two years and none have had issues. Main thing is if the machine is stored the coil wire must be prepared for storage.

Purchased 30? Coils? Are you a dealer or have that many failed? Can you elaborate more on prepping for storage.

Dave

I did Excalibur repairs for friends a year or so, many coils needed replaces so New coils would be purchased and installed, some were stock coils. ON storing the machine away, wash it down with fresh water, let dry.....then coat or spray the cables and O-rings with McNett Silicon spray (And not the one mixed with water like the Trident pump spray). I have coated the cables with Dow corning 101 silicon grease but I'm sure plummers grease would work fine. Recheck once ever few months to make sure they are well coated.

Last fall I tried this..................I aquasealed the knobs I don't use, top discrim knob, then the volume, then the PP.......basically using silicon grease on the knob shaft orings then sealing them with Aquaseal. NO turning / untouched........Just a few months ago I pulled the knobs off to check all since it had been 10 months, Amazing the Aquaseal was still in place, so I pulled the Aquaseal off each.. looked like I had just put silicon grease on them.. SO I redid the Aquaseal and will recheck next spring. And remember I hunt several days a week, 20 plus hours in saltwater. but this time I am adjust them to see how they fair.

Interesting on the aqua seal Joe..... wonder how shoe goo would work? What did you use to remove the aqua seal...... alcohol? Makes you wonder if you couldnt cap them in some way. Most of those cable casings seemed to be with the late nighty Xcals. Ive not heard of a lot of Sov coils doing that........ but then MOST arent used very deep if at all in salt water. I had one........ looked like new when i got it.... in fact the owner said her husband bought it and used it almost never. First time out....... it was like it just exploded everywhere on that casing. It was replaced with a Sov coil. ive got an Xcal coil Joe removed for me when he put an 8" on one of my machines. But then you consider you have to buy a connector and some........ you wonder why they were removed...... so id just get another standard coil if i was you.

Dew