Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cracked handle on my ctx..

dougj7

I just noticed my ctx-3030 has a cracked handle. It's cracked on both sides in the same area. has this happened to anyone else?

-Doug

Some other guy fell on his too.

I'm thinking this needs the be addressed with Minelab. I agree with the other post this should have required some real force to have happened. If you don't recall that happening Minelab needs to know this.Your machine looks new and well cared for.
IMHO BCNJ

dougj7 said:
No, I've never fallen on it or abused it.
That's why you need to call Minelab Monday morning and tell them the handle broke! As you may already know my handle (and others) worn a hole/gap in it from the carbon fibre shaft! Minelabe replace it without question.
BCNJ

The only thing I can think of that "could" exert enough pressure to do that without your knowledge would be if you leaned the detector on the tailgate of a vehicle or up against a wall and it slid/dropped to the ground landing on the detector stand. Yesterday, I was returning from a hunt and I leaned the detector against my house to grab a few things. A few seconds later I heard a SMACK - I knew what had happened. The coil slid out from the wall on the sidewalk and the detector landed hard on the stand - upright. Luckily there was NO damage, but after seeing your photo I am convinced that I probably got very lucky. Nevertheless - if that did not happen to you, I too have heard of damage in that area resulting from design defects - particularly if you hunt a lot. Hopefully Minelab will take care of you - from what I can see, the detector looks to be in great shape. Keep us informed...

Now sure if I'm allowed to post this from another forum, but it may be relevant. Although it appears to not
be the exact same issue that you have, it could be a defective material in the handle. Anyway here
goes...............

http://www.minelabowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25054

If you water hunt, people have been known to REALLY lean on their detector for balance when scooping something up, resulting in detectors breaking..

I broke my handle. But up closer to the screen. About two inches below the screen to be precise. But I fell on mine. Super glue and duct tape. Works fine but not as pretty. I would think it would take a lot of force but if yours broke without incident, that seems strange. Good luck.

I have bumped mine but dang... By chance was it freezing outside when it happened?

In the past, I've had a couple of coils (not Minelab) crack around the coil ears & the top housing on the coil.---That was caused because of the small coil ears with poor re-inforcing of the coil ears & (too light of) coil material used.----They just didn't hold up to the "torquing" of the coil from the detector being swung in normal hunt conditions.------I hope this isn't going to be something of a similar problem with the difference being the cracking/breaking occurring around the handle area.-----I guess I will find out when I hunt with mine for awhile, I'm scheduled for delivery of my new CTX next week.

Update:

Minelab replaced the handle on my CTX. I sent it to Minelab for repairs on Feb. 5th and it arrived back to me on Feb 28th. They also gave me a new velcro strap because the stitching was coming loose on the original strap.

Thank you Minelab for excellent customer service.