Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Crazy war nickel numbers....

In the postwar years, the heavy production of cents was scaled back, as hoarding ceased and some of the slack was taken up by other base-metal coins.[43] Nevertheless, the various issues of small coins, at that time not redeemed by the government, caused another glut in commerce, which was not completely broken until the Act of March 3, 1871, allowed redemption of cents and other minor coins in lots of $20 or more.[38] Pursuant tof o this act, over thirty million copper-nickel cents, of both the Indian Head and Flying Eagle designs, were redeemed; the Mint melted these for recoinage. Fifty-five million bronze cents were also sold to the government; beginning in 1874, the Mint re-issued these in response to commercial requests for cents, lowering the demand for new coins.[44] Drops in the price of silver brought coins of that metal, hoarded for a decade or more, back into commerce, also decreasing demand. Between 1866 and 1878, production only occasionally exceeded ten million; the 1877 coin, with a circulation mintage of 852,500, is a rare date for the series.[43] After 1881, there were few redemptions of bronze cents, due to high demand for the denomination, though copper-nickel cents continued to be redeemed and melted. Wonder what there made of but what ever it is very consistent 12.35 to 12.37 and once in a blue moon a 12.34 those are corroded.

Now the memorial cent reads 12.43 to 12.44
now
A wheat well read 12.39 to 12.40

WHY

The memorial is 95% copper and 5%

The wheat is 95% copper and near 5% zinc with a small amount of tin

Looking at what we know I would think there's slightly more tin in the Indian bringing the id down to 12.35 12.37

As far as nickels with the war and all variation in the metal content would cause different ids .

Your metal detector is measuring the Resistance of the target which gives the id. sube

Perhaps we can have a War Nickel scan fest. It would be interesting to see if the odd ducks correlate to a specific mint. I don't know if the different mints procured blanks individually or they were all purchased by Philadelphia and then meted out to the branch mints.

I shoveled three inches of heavy snow on seventeen acres of pavement today here in very southern Wisconsin. Unless we get a sustained warm up the season is probably over.

As soon as I get my belly button lint organized I'll start scanning nickels.

Chris(SoCenWI)