Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 hoping to help a lady out

JOSHUAWCOLVEY

Have a lady wanting me to help find a wedding ring that slipped off her hand as she tossed an apple to her dog a few years ago. She had lost a fair amount of weight and the ring had became to large.

She said she heard it hit a wood fence where she through the apple. They looked all around but never found it.

Any pointer. Ill be using the CTX 3030.

Thanks
Hard Arkansas soil.

If she has any documentation that indicates the type of metal in her ring, that would help you figure out how much discrimination to use. If she doesn't know whether it was yellow gold, white gold, Platinum etc, then my best advice would be to set the detector up to accept everything above a ferrous line of 24, and sweep the area she thinks it went. If it has only been lost a few years, it shouldn't be too deep. On the other hand, if they mow that area around the fence, it may have been hit when mowing and could be anywhere. Hopefully the whole fence is wooden and there isn't wire that interferes with your detection. Good luck in your hunt. Let us know how it works out.

I'm just guessing that it was a problem with her finger becoming too small rather than the ring becoming too large hehe...

If you were worried you might miss it because of a discrimination or separation mode you could detect in pinpoint mode and then double-check with your pinpointer to see if it's near the surface. If it's only been a couple years it probably it can't be more than an inch or two down. Obviously if it's a larger trashy area that may become tedious though.

if it was a part of a set take the Hubbys ring since it is probably made of the same material and get an idea of what it might sound like, as well as the numbers that it might come up as, when you go over it, I did this once and found a ring a guy lost while doing yard work, hope you find it good luck and happy hunting.

I had to hunt for a ring near a block wall with rebar inside - if you need to hunt near metal -

turn the sensitivity way down
use the 6" coil if you have one
and try hunting with just the pinpointer

6" coil or pinpointer also useful for hunting in vegetation

good luck

It is a wooden fence with no metal below about 3 ft off ground and that's the nails ion the fence.
I thought about just running in open discrimination and look for everything lol.

Watson has it right on settings. Ask her how far she was from the fence and how hard she threw it and guest-imate how much bounce it could have taken and search that hard first then double it and again if no joy. I'd cover the whole yard before I quit looking. Dig and remove ALL metal items. In such a limited area its not productive to not dig all. Rings can ID in way you don't expect or be masked.
Good luck and again, let us know how it goes.

I wouldn't worry about the coil size so much. The lower sensitivity is a good recommendation.

I had almost the same thing happen here. I did some testing and found thats the items I was throwing at the fence mostly fell straight down and the bottom of the fence or close to with little bounce back effect for the mild toss. Hard toss will bounce off.
I ended up using my pro pointer at the bottom close to the wood fence as the other side had a metal fence material. Luckily she know within 10 feet of where it was thrown and just could not find it. Ive also located two Heirloom rings that the lady was unsure of loosing in some lavender while she cut it. The detector never rang at all but I found them using the pro pointer in side the very middle and off the ground about 10 inches in the bushes. Ive been pretty luck at finding rings for people, also found a very expensive tri stone ring for a jeweler, and a newly newly engaged grils wedding ring...she had absolutely no idea how she could ever tell her fiancee she lost his ring in the first 5 days she had it. I located it in 5 minutes in the snow about 10 feet from her car.... she almost married me instead.

Lol well I'm hoping all goes easy. I'm looking forward to hunting the rest of the yard as well as I have permission for that as well. It's an older house so I'm hoping to maybe find some other items as well.

Have been through this scenerio a few times and only once was it where they thought it was. Just start gridding in that area and work your way out. What you might find is that ring still sitting right on top of the ground too. Good luck and keep us posted!