Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx 3030 kinks?

I am planning on a purchase in April and Everyone keeps asking WHY??? Go with the etrac go with the at rpo, go with anything but the ctx 3030? I ask why they say over priced this over priced that... Another one I get is I should wait for all of the kinks to be worked out..

My question is Are there still any kinks to be worked out with this machine? I have been reading nothing but good since the new updates... WHAT GIVES??? Thanks

Sounds like you need some new friends haha, the CTX is certainly the way to go. If they havent had one in thier hands to use for at least 3 months, I wouldn't even listen to thier opinion.

good point. I am not sure if they have used one or not but I will ask and find out.

If they are CTX users then they're just protecting their turf :laugh: If they use something else - then they're just protecting their turf as well. Nobody wants a buddy with the machine that'll make them look like amateurs. Take a serious look at the CTX - it's a great machine.

Yup, tons of bugs. You don't want one. Save your money. Get a Bounty Hunter. :crylol: Seriously though, it's expensive for a reason. You get what you pay for. I have had several detectors in the past and I wouldn't trade this machine for anything. I hunt very trashy places and its ability to weed through trash is absolutely insane. It's almost like cheating. I hate to say it but.... You should get one. I only say that because the more CTX's there are out there the less goodies there are for me.

nolanation said:
the CTX is certainly the way to go. If they haven't had one in their hands to use for at least 3 months, I wouldn't even listen to their opinion.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :beers: HH Randy

If you have never used an FBS programmable machine before, then there will be a learning curve. Once you put in the time and learn the machines strange language you will see what everyone is talking about.

Some days I love it, some days it frustrates me, but I'm new on FBS and a very slow, methodical, plodding learner.

Tonight I went to a sports field just to practice target trace and pin pointing. I dug a dime at about 8"' another dime at about 7", then I got this 10-41, 9-40. 10-40 signal. This is one of the things I dislike about the CTX. What do those signals represent? I keep remembering posts that people say the CTX will drift a little on signals. The signal drift was within 1 or 2 of the 12 FE line and the CO was steady, so I dig it. Out pops a quarter at about 5".

The moral of this story is: this is a sports field that gets detected a lot. I Believe the CTX was reaching farther into the ground than the other detectors, that is why I found these coins and someone else didn't. Thats the real reason you want the CTX.

sparkster said:
If you have never used an FBS programmable machine before, then there will be a learning curve. Once you put in the time and learn the machines strange language you will see what everyone is talking about.

Some days I love it, some days it frustrates me, but I'm new on FBS and a very slow, methodical, plodding learner.

Tonight I went to a sports field just to practice target trace and pin pointing. I dug a dime at about 8"' another dime at about 7", then I got this 10-41, 9-40. 10-40 signal. This is one of the things I dislike about the CTX. What do those signals represent? I keep remembering posts that people say the CTX will drift a little on signals. The signal drift was within 1 or 2 of the 12 FE line and the CO was steady, so I dig it. Out pops a quarter at about 5".

The moral of this story is: this is a sports field that gets detected a lot. I Believe the CTX was reaching farther into the ground than the other detectors, that is why I found these coins and someone else didn't. Thats the real reason you want the CTX.

Very good point. Just to add, I found a 1919 penny at about 7" deep in a spot that I had pounded with my AT Pro. There was a nickel sized piece of iron almost directly 1" above the penny and it saw both targets. It gave a good enough signal to make me go for it and it paid off.

Like Sparkster said, put in the time to learn the 3030 and you wont be disappointed. Here's my personal list of reasons why I love the 3030.

1. It's ability to sniff out good targets from among iron is nothing short of incredible.
2. It gets great depth. I'm not saying that other detectors won't go beep over the same deep target. However, it's ID on deep targets is very accurate. Most other detectors will show a decrease in ID towards iron on very deep targets.
3. It's waterproof so no pesky weather cover to deal with, and no worries about condensation building up under the cover.
4. Wireless headphones. Not truly wireless as you have to plug into a receiver module. I'd rather have this setup as opposed to a truly wireless system as you can use your preferred brand of headphones.
5. Balance and ergonomics are perfect. For a heavy detector it feels very light. I can swing it all day long for a week with no problem. After a few 10 hour days my arm would be falling off when I was swinging my Etrac.
6. Ability to custom configure tones for different targets. That's both pitch and conductivity range.
7. GPS. I hunt huge farm fields and the ability to log the find point is great. Not only does it log the location, but the FE /CO values as well. The fact that you can return to the same spot the following year to see what the plow brought up is awesome. Not necessarily a big plus for a park hunter I suppose.
8. The ability to upgrade the firmware (programming) of the detector. No need to buy a newer version of the detector to or send it in to correct a problem or increase its performance. Minelab has released a few useful updates so far. Hopefully more to follow.

Good Hunting.
Ryan