Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030-poor example of a `WATERPROOF`machine

ralphiejc

Ive had other `WATERPROOF`machines in the past and never had a water problem and paid less than half the price.Dont get me wrong...I love the 3030 and the things it can do.But when it comes to being waterproof it missed the mark....Ive had to put automotive battery terminal protector grease on the battery terminals even with the new style battery and seal ..The USB port is also a weak spot begging for Silicone on the threads.You would think that for the price of the machine it would be truly `WATERPROOF`without needing any mods or help from the end user..But its barely `RAINPROOF`!....Since the introduction of the Explorer in 99 Ive hoped for a waterproof one. Wish they would have done a better job!! Ralph

I've dunked mine quite a bit(including salt water) with no problem. But I tend to take good care of my things.
My advice if you don't like something to sell it and buy another brand.

I've never had problems with mine in the water. Yes, the design could have been better, but if you take the time to actually clean the o-ring and the ring channel it's 99% that you wont have any problems.

Whenever I see a post like this I ask,”What would you like US to do”? It’s the same as when my wife gripes to me about a co-worker or her sister or someone at the gas station...”Honey,what do you want ME to do about it? To have results and a solution to your disenchantment,you have to resolve it with the party you have the problem with!”
I know some just want to vent. But the CTX is SO good otherwise,it’s hard FOR ME to find fault with it.
A factory waterproof Explorer2 that’s as waterproof as the Excal....I would be in on that Ralph!:)

I have been using the CTX for about a year in the water and never had any problems. We don't really have calm sea conditions in Cape Town and I have had it in rough sea conditions and been pounded by some big waves. Before I take it out , I remove and clean the battery seal and double check the usb cap.

Just do the maintainance , proper o ring , some silicone grease in all the right places and your good to go , waterproof.
Ben

Ben Town said:
Just do the maintenance , proper o ring , some silicone grease in all the right places and your good to go , waterproof.
Ben

The first time I went into the water it leaked, I don't know why. Now I do the maintenance and I now use the silicone grease. I have yet to have a leak and I use the factory grey seal. You might want to try it out in a swimming pool. Use the AA battery pack and take the battery's out, so if it did leak you will not have any damage. Chappy

I use a 2.5mm O ring........ and im in the salt water all the time...to my neck. Anytime you open a machine you have that risk....... thats why the new EQ is interesting and why i also have an Xcal. First time out with my CZ20........... ya i flooded the battery even with care. I think with the CTX...... once the warranty is out..... we all take that chance.

Dew

I will drown mine and have on many occasions without any problems at all. I hunt salt water only. Another thing I find interesting is the salt mode. I have never used that either, and have had zero problems. 22 to 28 sensitivity. It says CTX 3030 on the side so I guess it is.Lol. I say it right here and right now, there is no way the new Equinox can top this machine. No way!!!

Well, I just had a leak on my CTX. Been swinging it on land, in lakes and in surf since it was released. I've always been careful in cleaning the o-ring and channel before heading towards any form of water. Did it the same on the last hunt, where I managed a mens, white-gold band. When I went to charge the battery next, I found a few drops of water had gotten in, probably at the end of the hunt. Anyway, when I took the battery off, the terminals in the compartment and the battery were de-plated and corroded. Got home last night, so early this morning (27th) I called Minelab. I was impressed I got an answer right away instead of a message. Got the RMA# and mailed it off for repair. Hopefully my turn around time is a quick as everyone else's has been lately.

Just a bit more explanation... I wasn't using the common aftermarket O-ring many switched to. Mine was the old variety with the red o-ring. I figured as long as it was under warranty, I would stay with factory parts. If it failed, its on their dime. For anyone swinging an out-of-warranty CTX, I HIGHLY recommend that you get a thicker replacement O-ring. There simply isn't enough compression on the old models to adequately seal.

It was only made to go into 10 foot of water. If you want a machine to dive with then go with the Xcal. I never dunked mine and most likely never will. Unless I drop it. It is a great machine and will never regret buying it. I accidentally put in two O rings and the clamps tightened up. They are the heavy duty black ones. I am not suggesting that you do it and go under with it, I did not try it under water. I do use the heavy duty ones.
Jason, I hope it works out for you. I am sure they will back their product.