Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 THRESHOLD VOLUME QUESTION

McClod

Hello Everyone,

I am an excited new owner of the CTX 3030 and I have a question about what the volume of the threshold should be. I can hear the hum very distinctly when using the machine, mind you I just received it a few days ago so I'm brand new to it and not used to a machine that has this noise.

I know I can turn down the threshold volume in the settings, but my question is if I do that will I be somehow lowering the capabilities of the machine or missing something I need to hear? So far I've barely got out in the yard with it, so am as yet very inexperienced. Thanks in advance for any info!

HH

Don

Hi Don
Like other machines you want to have it just barely audible over external noises from wind, waves etc. You are not lowering the capabilities of the machine if you can't hear the threshold but what you could be missing is an indication (threshold cutting out) of coming upon a site where iron is present, which can be an indication of an old homesite. I like to set it up to change the threshold tone to the sound of the last target that was picked up by the coil, this is called Pitch Hold. This is beneficial because sometimes it will clue you in that you may have passed over something good since the threshold tone is higher after passing the coil over a desirable target

Hi GKMan,

Could you go in to a little more detail on the pitch hold feature. I think I understand some of what you mean, but could you give some examples of using it, Thanks so much, Gene

Hi G.K.Man and Thank you very much for your quick reply!!! That explains it perfectly for me! I appreciate your help. The Pitch Hold feature sounds interesting. Thanks again! I just got out for my first hunt yesterday with the CTX and was VERY IMPRESSED!

Don

Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't 'Pinch Tone' mostly just that, a difference in high to low pitch that is set to your hearing preference? Some dealers I've talked to recommend hunting in that setting... nes

Pitch hold is what I run and find it works better than any of the other Threshold options for me. The reason is I am very hard of hearing and with the reg threshold as the coil goes over a good target it will sound off, but as the target gets deeper the signal is much smaller and many plus me can not hear the quick tone change of the smaller deeper targets. Now in pitch hold when it see a different signal it will keep the tone of the last target it sees, so those small changes are easier to hear. When I had the E-Trac this made the big difference from when I had the Explorers as my deep finds got better with the pitch hold. I was used to it and could be why the I love my Sovereigns and could do so well with them as they kept the tone of the last target it seen and seen where those slight tone changes in the threshold got me coins even the Explorers could see, but had to go slow to hear them as it has to see them before it can change the tones.When you notice that tone change and work the target a bit and the tones are trying to climb and even though they may never reach the correct number they were the deep coins so many walked over as they couldn't or wouldn't hear it in reg threshold as I know I couldn't on my E-Trac until I used the pitch hold.

Rick

That's interesting in gonna try that on my hunt today I'll let you guys know how it plays out.. Thanks G.K.