Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 USB Port Moisture

slider66

Today I had my CTX give me a message on the beach. USB connected. That means I had moisture in my USB port. I take really good care of my machine and my seals. Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? I would think that the salt would get into the USB port.. I was able to reset it and get it working again but what are the long term affects. I am letting it dry now with a fan and hope that it works the proper way when I hook up the battery again.

Was this as a result of submerging the detector or just general beach use ?

Thanks,
Tony

I had the same issue due to an improperly torqued usb seal. It would not dry out. My solution was to send it back and they replaced some circuit boards. Since I was on vacation I drove 3.5 hours each way and paid the walk in service fee at Kellyco's service center.

After reading this I took a look at mine and when I opened it up ( it was tight) I did find some sand in it....no moisture, but if sand got in, water must have carried it...I used a toothbrush and compressed air to clean the threads and put some teflon lubricant made specifically for O rings on marine engines...I hope it helps

Just thought that I would mention it and prompt other guys to take a look at theirs before they run into problems...I am sure that by reading about this and checking it, I avoided an expensive problem of my own

There are lots of fixes out there for the USB port and cap. Gaskets, condom's, all sorts of things. My fix was making a silicone USB plug that fits into the port. This is probably not recommend by any manufacturers, but place a very loose piece of saran wrap over the port. Remove the cotton from a q-tip and gently press the saran wrap into the USB port so it kinda takes the internal shape. Then use a silicon gasket maker and inject a glob into the port. It will usually take perfect shape of the USB port. Follow drying time instructions and remove. Trim any excess to fit flush under the cap. You now have a reusable plug that will certainly stop any amount water that defeats that quality cap. Hope this helps, JJ