Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX Backup

Bryan V

I am thinking about getting something to complement and back up my CTX.
Swapping coils while out detecting is a major pet peeve of mine.
I currently use the stock coil and the 13x17 about 50-50.
I don't own a small coil so I thought about buying a 705 or E-Trac and fitting it with a small coil full time
So I can just go back to the truck and just swap detectors.
Or maybe sell my 13x17 for the CTX and get something big for one of the other detectors.
Then get the 6" for the CTX.
What's your thoughts or experience with the above detectors for going small or big.
My main goal is old coins (silver). Ground conditions moderate to high.
Bryan

I also have the CTX with the 3 Minelab coils. I leave the stock coil on it and bring along my Etrac with the 13" Ultimate on it. I will also bring along the X-8 coil from Sunray to swap out on the Etrac if I need to. I have a X-1 probe on the Etrac. I probably use both detectors about the same amount of time.

A small coil is usually needed more often than the large one. If you a second detector, I would recommend the E-Trac.

For me it depends on where you hunt more than what you hunt. I currently use the stock most of the time. If at the beach or in deep loamy soil, the 17 is my goto for depth (and coverage at the beach). I only use my Coiltek 5x10 in HEAVY trash- I find that going slow with the stock works quite well in moderate trash. I'm the opposite of Jason/Enid in that I use my 17 much more than my small coil- but again, I think that's a function of where we hunt. Bottom line is that I think you should consider where and type of soil you will be hunting when deciding on which coil to keep/buy.

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation for a backup machine. I would think that it all depends on how much you want to spend.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the ETrac or X-Terra do something better than the CTX with either a big coil or a real small coil?
For example The 705 with a Coiltec 3 KHZ digger coil. Is it faster or better than the CTX with the 6" coil for real heavy trash?
Or Maybe the ETrac with a 15" coil might be just a little deeper than the CTX with the 13x17.
I don't know. If so I thought I would set up something different to use instead of swapping coils on site plus
Act as a good backup if the CTX goes down.
I hunt a verity of locations with different soil/trash content and know when I should be swapping coils.
I just want it to be easier and better.
If the CTX is hands down the winner in each department, I'll just buy the 6" coil and swap out the coil when needed.
Thanks,
Bryan

The CTX is better than the E-Trac by small amount in every catergory. I don't have an X-Terra so I can't comment on that.

Ignoring costs.... If you want something almost equal to the CTX, and won't require learning a whole new machine, get the E-Trac.It also has a lot of coil options for it. If you want an E-Trac with a small coil, I would recommend getting either the sunray X-8 or Sunray X-5. If you wan't something to compliment the CTX then get a DEUS. The CTX is a deep, silver killing detector but it's not the best if you hunt in very heavy trash. the Deus is lightning fast and will find goodies in heavy trash much easier than the CTX or E-Trac can.

My personal recommendation would be to get the other CTX coils and a lower rod for each to change out whenever needed.

Jason/others, would you consider a non-Minelab as a backup or a machine that performs differently? Like say a Deus?
Not asking for myself, more as a theoretical.

KinTN said:
Jason/others, would you consider a non-Minelab as a backup or a machine that performs differently? Like say a Deus?

A couple weeks ago I bought a used Blisstool V5 with all 3 coils because I was looking for a machine that would be different and might sniff out a deeper target in my high mineralized soil. We've either been frozen or pouring rain since I got it but I'm itching to check a couple small yards that I've run several units over including my CTX.

I hunted 3 hours with a guy who swung a Deus and we each marked several targets and checked each other and except for a War Nickel that he first marked we were in 100% agreement in coin dig/no dig. The war nickel for me just didn't sound real solid given the depth of 4" and I was convinced it was a pull tab; I wouldn't have dug it if I was looking for coins.

Yesterday I talked to a local dealer who sells both Minelab and XP and while he is a commited CTX user of 3 years he said he is grabbing the Deus more and more as he uses it. He loves that it is lighter, a little faster, and he said there's something about the info he gets he likes. He didn't feel it was any deeper than the CTX. He also said the Deus is chatty compared to the CTX.

KinTN said:

Yes, I have been toying with the idea of getting a DEUS. My buddy has one and loves it. A different technology can often hit on coins that others missed. Most of the places I hunt are very trashy; house sites, curb strips, construction sites so something with speed could help find more after I've hit it with the CTX.

Hello BryanV,

In regards to the 705, it's a very good machine. The downside, is it runs on three different frequencies one at a time, ONLY by changing coils for each frequency.

Since you want to avoid changing coils, it's probably not the best choice for you as a backup. To have a selection of coils in each frequency, can get costly also.

There is a lot of good machines of different brands out there. What would be best for you, would depend on a lot of factors based on your budget, type of use etc. Personally, of the three machines I currently use, all are from different manufacturers.

Jason in Enid said:
KinTN said:

Yes, I have been toying with the idea of getting a DEUS. My buddy has one and loves it. A different technology can often hit on coins that others missed. Most of the places I hunt are very trashy; house sites, curb strips, construction sites so something with speed could help find more after I've hit it with the CTX.
The Deus is Fast but I heard complaints of the I.D. at depth is below par! I've been thinking od A Teknetics
G2+ myself. From what I've seen there I.D. at depth is Decent..

Do you want to complement or back up the CTX? They're two different things.
No question the best back up is another FBS machine , etrac being the apex of what's available.
As a complement that allows you to do things better than the CTX , recovery speed and ergonomics are the attributes to consider in my opinion.
There are lots of fast light machines out from the less expensive like Tesoros , to the Deus or the Racer/ForsCore , F75s , Technetics........
Personally , I'd wait and see if the new Deus update and 6x9 coil live up to all the outlandish hype.

sprchng said:
Do you want to complement or back up the CTX? They're two different things.
No question the best back up is another FBS machine , etrac being the apex of what's available.
As a complement that allows you to do things better than the CTX , recovery speed and ergonomics are the attributes to consider in my opinion.
There are lots of fast light machines out from the less expensive like Tesoros , to the Deus or the Racer/ForsCore , F75s , Technetics........
Personally , I'd wait and see if the new Deus update and 6x9 coil live up to all the outlandish hype.

It should complement my CTX but I want it to be good enough that I don't feel underpowered if I ever am without my CTX.
I have owned the F75, Racer, and still own a Vaquero which are great machines but I have never owned a detector like the CTX that can ID coins
consistently at depths below 6". I'm addicted to the CTX but frustrated at the same time.
Even though I can afford to buy extra lower shafts and coils for the CTX the price just bugs me because they are so out of line.
$175.00 for a lower shaft? Stupid!
That's what got me thinking ETrac or 705 as a second old coin detector. Coils and shafts are much cheaper and if they are close to the same performance or better
With a particular size coil maybe that would be the way to go

I guess I'm going to have to start paying attention to the Deus. Everyone is talking about them.
I just got to get past the sound of them.
A 6x9 coil would be a nice size for a trash site if the Deus can handle aluminum, nails and ID coins at a decent depth.
Thanks for everyone's responses.
Bryan

Remember that Anderson is bringing out CTX lower shafts shortly tho they are being coy on the pricing. If they get down into 'reasonable' range, that may be what you are looking for.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2251966,2252066#msg-2252066

Bryan V said:
...but I have never owned a detector like the CTX that can ID coins consistently at depths below 6". I'm addicted to the CTX but frustrated at the same time.

I guess I'm going to have to start paying attention to the Deus. Everyone is talking about them.
A 6x9 coil would be a nice size for a trash site if the Deus can handle aluminum, nails and ID coins at a decent depth.
Bryan

Bryan,
You'll need to get past more than just the sound...
The Deus is an excellent machine, but it's one serious weakness for coinshooters is that it sucks at visual ID below about 6". You have to learn to listen to the tone and shape of the signal instead of the ID.
(Which in my opinion, is actually a better way to hunt...like we did prior to the TID machines.)
Even then, depending on where you hunt, you'd better be prepared to add extensively to your aluminum and/or iron collection....

If you use it for its strengths, the XP is great...if you try to run it like a Minelab, you'll be another of the many people quickly selling theirs at a loss.
My advice: If you need/expect the display ID to be correct at depth...buy a used CTX for the same price as the Deus.

:)
mike

mike

trojdor said:
Bryan V said:
...but I have never owned a detector like the CTX that can ID coins consistently at depths below 6". I'm addicted to the CTX but frustrated at the same time.

Bryan

Bryan,
You'll need to get past more than just the sound...
The Deus is an excellent machine, but it's one serious weakness for coinshooters is that it sucks at visual ID below about 6". You have to learn to listen to the tone and shape of the signal instead of the ID.
(Which in my opinion, is actually a better way to hunt...like we did prior to the TID machines.)
Even then, depending on where you hunt, you'd better be prepared to add extensively to your aluminum and/or iron collection....

If you use it for its strengths, the XP is great...if you try to run it like a Minelab, you'll be another of the many people quickly selling theirs at a loss.
My advice: If you need/expect the display ID to be correct at depth...buy a used CTX for the same price as the Deus.

:)
mike

mike

Yes, spot on Mike.

The Deus excels at older, iron infested sites where most of the non-ferrous targets will be dug. In sites that contain modern trash it has a difficult time telling some of the good ones from the bad. That can result in a lot of unwanted targets being dug while some good ones get left behind.

For sites that contain non-ferrous trash, the CTX is the better choice. Use the 6" coil when the going gets trashy and swing it slow.